++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 20, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #7,321 of 29,490

Great all rounder (closed) is the Ultrasone Pro 750.

Also, when you say mixing...do you mean live mixing, or production?

The AKGs NEED an amp, and I have no experience with the FA-011...but as I've said time and time again the HD 598 is brilliant. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it if you decided to go that route, and they sound excellent unamped. With prices the way they are now you could get the 598 and a smaller amp/DAC combo.

I think that would be an excellent way to start at this hobby.

Quote:
Okay so I have been narrowing down my options a little bit, hopefully I'm not going in the completely wrong direction but I'll just have to find out.

Out of the ones mentioned to me I'm starting to dig the 940's but something about the appearance bugs me. I hate being one who wants an aesthetically appealing headphone.

So to start it off, I've decided for now that I will just use my Bose around ears for general traveling around and at the office. They do a decent job at playing my music and keeps the sound in so they won't bother others and it keeps them out just as nicely. So what I'm mainly looking for now is one to primarily use at home for mixing, watching movies/gaming, and regular music usage. 

I did try some open backed headphones today and really enjoyed the airy sound to them and since I'll be at home I'm not worried about bothering others with noise leaking. I still prefer closed-backs due to blocking outside sounds but open-backs will be fine. So the amount of headphones to chose from has grown more... Also when I said "heavy bass" in my first post what I really meant was something that sounded deeper then my Bose so I'm sure that won't be hard to beat. 

I was looking at:
Sennheiser HD-598 
Fisher Audio FA-011
AKG 701's and 702's (Love the looks of the 01's color but like the ability to change out the wire on the 02's, also heard issues about comfort)

One thing I've read is it seems that most open-backs require an amp. Don't know if this is exactly true but I do want to try to get the best sound out of whatever I chose.

My price range is still in the 100-300 area for the headphones. An Amp if needed will just be another later purchase.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:14 PM Post #7,322 of 29,490

By mixing I mean just having fun at my computer and uploading the tunes via youtube. Nothing professional. Also I'll definitely look into the 598's more since their price is a bit friendlier to my wallet and leaves me money to spend on a decent amp. Any decent starter amps you would recommend?

Also the Ultrasone Pro 750 is now added to my list. They seem to be pretty tip top and yet again not hard on my wallet. 
Quote:
Great all rounder (closed) is the Ultrasone Pro 750.

Also, when you say mixing...do you mean live mixing, or production?

The AKGs NEED an amp, and I have no experience with the FA-011...but as I've said time and time again the HD 598 is brilliant. I don't think you'd be disappointed with it if you decided to go that route, and they sound excellent unamped. With prices the way they are now you could get the 598 and a smaller amp/DAC combo.

I think that would be an excellent way to start at this hobby.

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #7,323 of 29,490
I was thinking something like a uDac2, or E7. They'd give you a DAC and a little more power. Though you may still just want to save some and invest the saved money from headphones in something a little nicer. It's your choice.

The Pro 750 is the only headphone I've owned twice. It's fairly flat and I like it for both production and live mixing...but I also like it for listening because though it's flat it has a lot of kick.

Quote:

By mixing I mean just having fun at my computer and uploading the tunes via youtube. Nothing professional. Also I'll definitely look into the 598's more since their price is a bit friendlier to my wallet and leaves me money to spend on a decent amp. Any decent starter amps you would recommend?

Also the Ultrasone Pro 750 is now added to my list. They seem to be pretty tip top and yet again not hard on my wallet. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 5:44 PM Post #7,324 of 29,490

Alright I'll definitely look into those but I might just save up for something nicer like you said. Thanks for the help though, very appreciated! 
Quote:
I was thinking something like a uDac2, or E7. They'd give you a DAC and a little more power. Though you may still just want to save some and invest the saved money from headphones in something a little nicer. It's your choice.

The Pro 750 is the only headphone I've owned twice. It's fairly flat and I like it for both production and live mixing...but I also like it for listening because though it's flat it has a lot of kick.

Sep 20, 2011 at 6:32 PM Post #7,326 of 29,490

Quote:
Best audio technica opened headphones and best sennheiser opened headphones, for 130$ price range ... Which to get?

Ad700 or hd 555 or ... Or .... Im cant take decision so help ke thanks

I prefer the AD700 but it depends on what type of sound you are after.  The AD700 is more forward and midrange/treble focused while the HD555 is warmer and laid back.  AD700 has more detail, clarity, separation, and soundstage and more comfortable in my opinion.  MS-1 and DT440 beat them both though.

Sep 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM Post #7,327 of 29,490

Quote:
Is there a set of full-sized, low impedance, closed cans that excels with rock, pop AND classical? For around $1k? Right now my W1000x is great with classical but can sound a little thin with some rock. The T70p, OTOH, are pretty great for rock/pop/electronic but there's a cloudiness around the sound when it comes to classical as the bass becomes a little too overbearing. Just curious if there was ONE closed headphone that can do it all. =)

Some random shots in the dark...
Denon D7000 or modded D5000
ATH-W5000x
Thunderpants

Quote:
Okay so I have been narrowing down my options a little bit, hopefully I'm not going in the completely wrong direction but I'll just have to find out.

Out of the ones mentioned to me I'm starting to dig the 940's but something about the appearance bugs me. I hate being one who wants an aesthetically appealing headphone.

So to start it off, I've decided for now that I will just use my Bose around ears for general traveling around and at the office. They do a decent job at playing my music and keeps the sound in so they won't bother others and it keeps them out just as nicely. So what I'm mainly looking for now is one to primarily use at home for mixing, watching movies/gaming, and regular music usage. 

I did try some open backed headphones today and really enjoyed the airy sound to them and since I'll be at home I'm not worried about bothering others with noise leaking. I still prefer closed-backs due to blocking outside sounds but open-backs will be fine. So the amount of headphones to chose from has grown more... Also when I said "heavy bass" in my first post what I really meant was something that sounded deeper then my Bose so I'm sure that won't be hard to beat. 

I was looking at:
Sennheiser HD-598 
Fisher Audio FA-011
AKG 701's and 702's (Love the looks of the 01's color but like the ability to change out the wire on the 02's, also heard issues about comfort)

One thing I've read is it seems that most open-backs require an amp. Don't know if this is exactly true but I do want to try to get the best sound out of whatever I chose.

My price range is still in the 100-300 area for the headphones. An Amp if needed will just be another later purchase.

K701/2 + FiiO e9 would be a nice combo.

Quote:

I would shy away from any Ultrasones for mixing as the S-Logic produces an artificial change to the sound which you have no control over. 

Quote:
Best audio technica opened headphones and best sennheiser opened headphones, for 130$ price range ... Which to get?

Ad700 or hd 555 or ... Or .... Im cant take decision so help ke thanks

You could probably find a used AD900 in that price range, 

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #7,328 of 29,490
I would shy away from any Ultrasones for mixing as the S-Logic produces an artificial change to the sound which you have no control over. 

He may be right. I didn't even think about this because it doesn't really effect EDM. Depending on the genre you produce it may not be a good idea.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #7,329 of 29,490
So... Lately I've been using my Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's while outside as well as inside, and have starting using them for videogames (I think in part realizing that my speakers just aren't too great as a result of listening to the HD25-1 ii's...),
but I've been wondering: Is there a big gain in quality in a smaller price to be had in things like games by using a full-sized pair of headphones instead of the portable HD25-1 ii's?

If there is a gain in a pair that has a lower price than the HD25-1 ii's ($200 - $300 iirc) for someone who isn't an expert on audio, is there a gain in a pair of full-sized headphones that is only $100 - $150 dollars?

I ask the low price because I don't have too much money on the go, but if I can get a hold of a pair of headphones that has similar or better quality than the HD25-1 ii's for use at home it'd be pretty nice.

Sep 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM Post #7,330 of 29,490
Alright guys once again thank you! 

Been reading all different reviews and narrowed it down to exactly what you all said. All that's left is me deciding.

Senn HD598's with the FiiO E7's then one day upgrading to the E9 + E7 combo. Seems really nice and simple.

Or the K702's starting with the E9 then doing the same combo. Not a fan of the colors but I really like being able to switch out the cable which means much more to me then looking overly flashy. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #7,331 of 29,490

Quote:
So... Lately I've been using my Sennheiser HD25-1 ii's while outside as well as inside, and have starting using them for videogames (I think in part realizing that my speakers just aren't too great as a result of listening to the HD25-1 ii's...),
but I've been wondering: Is there a big gain in quality in a smaller price to be had in things like games by using a full-sized pair of headphones instead of the portable HD25-1 ii's?

If there is a gain in a pair that has a lower price than the HD25-1 ii's ($200 - $300 iirc) for someone who isn't an expert on audio, is there a gain in a pair of full-sized headphones that is only $100 - $150 dollars?

I ask the low price because I don't have too much money on the go, but if I can get a hold of a pair of headphones that has similar or better quality than the HD25-1 ii's for use at home it'd be pretty nice.

Everyone wants more for less... though I suppose if you're looking for something specifically for gaming (I'm assuming FPS), then an Audio Technica AD700 is a good start. 

Quote:
Alright guys once again thank you! 

Been reading all different reviews and narrowed it down to exactly what you all said. All that's left is me deciding.

Senn HD598's with the FiiO E7's then one day upgrading to the E9 + E7 combo. Seems really nice and simple.

Or the K702's starting with the E9 then doing the same combo. Not a fan of the colors but I really like being able to switch out the cable which means much more to me then looking overly flashy. 

The Senn for a more "fun" and casual listening. The K702 for more critical listening. 

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #7,332 of 29,490
I'm looking for a solid pair of headphones to use with my macbook and ipod [without an amp of any kind, as I'm trying to keep my gear minimal for travel], and I was hoping to get a bit of advice from audiophiles far more knowledgeable than myself. I'm very glad to have found head-fi for information, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the sheer depth and breadth of the information provided. After some digging and reading a lot of comparison posts, reviews, and some very helpful shootout posts, I feel like I have enough information to explain what I'm looking for and hopefully make an informed decision -- however, in my opinion, nothing will beat a recommendation from someone knowledgeable, so here I am!

My budget is ideally $50-$100 USD, but I can go up to $200 or a bit more, for the sake of finding the best fit for my needs.

Needs, in order of importance:

- Comfort: By far one of my biggest concerns, as I tend towards severe headaches with headphones that clamp too firmly, and I also wear glasses, which can interfere.

- Portable/semi-portable: I'm on the go nearly all of the time, and most of my listening opportunities happen on the bus or when I'm otherwise in transit.

- Durable: I'm admittedly hard on my gear, and I've been tempted by Skullcandy's warranty [if not by anything else], because I hate to lose an investment to clumsiness or extreme wear-and-tear. Some of my problems in the past have been flimsy folding joints and cords without decent strain reliefs.

- Closed: Listening on the bus or other public places means that closed cans are my best bet, and even when I'm at home I'm trying not to disturb others with my music or movies. [My roommate also has a son who stomps all over the floor directly above my room, so some isolation from that would also be highly appreciated.]

- Circumaural: preferably, as I prefer this fit, but supraaural isn't a deal-breaker if my other needs are met. I strongly dislike in-ear, as the fit almost never agrees with me and I don't like the sensation, even if I love the noise isolation.

I listen to a huge variety of music, so something that's well-balanced and versatile would be terrific. However, vocals tend to factor heavily into my listening experience, and my collection trends towards acoustics, folk, alt rock, and indie. [With fair amount of indie rap and classic rock.]

At various points in my search, I've had people recommend the Sennheister HD555, Beyerdynamic DT770, Sennheiser HD25-1 II, Phiaton MS400 and Audio-Technica ATH-M50, [as well as a variety of others] but I'm curious to hear how they stack up from people who've used them, and I don't know how well they'd fit my needs.

With the information I currently have, I'm leaning towards the MS400s, but I'm always open to new information. [They're also at the outside of my price range, which makes me slightly hesitant.]  I'll admit that the very nice carrying case plays a role in my preference, but I'm also not knowledgeable enough to be aware of any cases that could be purchased to fit other headphones [i.e.- the M50s], and I don't know of others headphone that come with such a sturdy, compact case.

I appreciate any help that you're willing to give, and I'm perfectly okay with being corrected about something that I'm misinformed about or I've misunderstood while researching. Thanks!

Sep 20, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #7,333 of 29,490

Quote:
Everyone wants more for less... though I suppose if you're looking for something specifically for gaming (I'm assuming FPS), then an Audio Technica AD700 is a good start. 

Well, it's not so much that (although true. :p). I'm honestly not sure how much the performance differs between full sized headphones and portable ones.
But thank you.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #7,334 of 29,490
I'm looking for open circumaural headphones with forwards mids and a lot of bass impact. (I'll likely be using it for games, so a decent soundstage would be nice.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back