++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 19, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #7,307 of 29,490

Quote:
Would ohm rating affect the sound quality?

I haven't heard the 600 ohm - but if you search the site, there are plenty of comparisons.

My iPhone4 and iPod G4 can both drive my DT880 to a listenable level (just), but it doesn't do them justice.  They just sound a little lifeless.  The E11 adds some body - quite listenable.  Using my PortaTube sounds wonderful with them.  Likewise the NFB-12 (desktop).  Both provide extension at both top and bottom.  To me - the 250 ohm give me everything I need, and I can use them reasonably portably (with the portable amps I have) if I want to.

If you want a cheap desktop amp with a pretty good DAC - capable of driving the DT880 (or HD600 if you ever move in that direction) - I'd recommend the NFB-12 from my own limited experience. If you're looking for a cheap portable amp for the DT880 (to pair with an iPod/iPhone) - the Fiio E11 will do it - but it is limited to the overall extent it can achieve (sounds good - but not as good as it can sound).  I don't know enough about the lower end portable amps and how they'd pair with a Beyer - but some of the more experienced here should be able to help.

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:24 AM Post #7,312 of 29,490
Glad I found this thread! Was about to start a new one and just clog the forum up more.

I've been using my Bose around-ears for pretty much everything and even though I love them I want to branch out to better ones that'll just blow me away. 

Price range: $100-$300

What I'm looking for:
An around ear set that would perform great in traveling around as well as using at home mixing songs and just kicking back to some good music. Also if needed, a good portable Amp, maybe even a desktop one as well.

I was looking into the Fischer Audio FA-003 for this as well as the Ultrasone HFI 780 but really I'm unsure of what to get due to the overwhelming number of good headphones out there.

I will be playing all types of music from classical- Jazz- Heavy Metal- Dubstep etc. so I'm looking for one that has pretty heavy bass but also can keep up in the mids and high ranges without being drowned out by the bass. 

I will be playing these on my iPod mini so I might need a portable amp?
I was looking at the Electric Avenues PA2V2 or the JDS Labs CmoyBB 

Any advice on what to get would be awesome! Just throw out a few other ideas and maybe your opinions on them and I'll do my research. Also any advice on amps, both portable and desktop, would be much appreciated! 

Sep 20, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #7,313 of 29,490

Quote:
Glad I found this thread! Was about to start a new one and just clog the forum up more.

I've been using my Bose around-ears for pretty much everything and even though I love them I want to branch out to better ones that'll just blow me away. 

What I'm looking for:
An around ear set that would perform great in traveling around as well as using at home mixing songs and just kicking back to some good music. Also if needed, a good portable Amp, maybe even a desktop one as well.

I was looking into the Fischer Audio FA-003 for this as well as the Ultrasone HFI 780 but really I'm unsure of what to get due to the overwhelming number of good headphones out there.

I will be playing all types of music from classical- Jazz- Heavy Metal- Dubstep etc. so I'm looking for one that has pretty heavy bass but also can keep up in the mids and high ranges without being drowned out by the bass. 

Any advice on what to get would be awesome! Just throw out a few other ideas and maybe your opinions on them and I'll do my research. Also any advice on amps, both portable and desktop, would be much appreciated! 

Ultrasones with their S-Logic are not ideal for mixing since it's an external effect that changes your sound perception. You will want a fairly neutral frequency response, which to most people will feel somewhat bass light. You will also want more bass extension rather than bass volume as well. For traveling about, I guess you'll also want closed headphones in order to block outside noises.

Perhaps consider the Shure 840 or 940 (more and less bass respectively). Both are fairly easy to drive so no need for an amp right away either.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #7,315 of 29,490

Quote:

What I'm looking for:

For the 940's you can check out my review for them here.

They might not be the best for music genres that place an emphasis on mid-bass (the 'thump thump' clubbing type of bass), but I've read that with a JDS CMoyBB amp, the bass is better.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #7,316 of 29,490

Quote:
Does the 598 leak as much noise as SR-60's? If not, how much noise is leaked?

Noise leak with Senns is moderate, but not nearly as bad as Grados.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #7,318 of 29,490
Is there a set of full-sized, low impedance, closed cans that excels with rock, pop AND classical? For around $1k? Right now my W1000x is great with classical but can sound a little thin with some rock. The T70p, OTOH, are pretty great for rock/pop/electronic but there's a cloudiness around the sound when it comes to classical as the bass becomes a little too overbearing. Just curious if there was ONE closed headphone that can do it all. =)

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #7,319 of 29,490
Okay so I have been narrowing down my options a little bit, hopefully I'm not going in the completely wrong direction but I'll just have to find out.

Out of the ones mentioned to me I'm starting to dig the 940's but something about the appearance bugs me. I hate being one who wants an aesthetically appealing headphone.

So to start it off, I've decided for now that I will just use my Bose around ears for general traveling around and at the office. They do a decent job at playing my music and keeps the sound in so they won't bother others and it keeps them out just as nicely. So what I'm mainly looking for now is one to primarily use at home for mixing, watching movies/gaming, and regular music usage. 

I did try some open backed headphones today and really enjoyed the airy sound to them and since I'll be at home I'm not worried about bothering others with noise leaking. I still prefer closed-backs due to blocking outside sounds but open-backs will be fine. So the amount of headphones to chose from has grown more... Also when I said "heavy bass" in my first post what I really meant was something that sounded deeper then my Bose so I'm sure that won't be hard to beat. 

I was looking at:
Sennheiser HD-598 
Fisher Audio FA-011
AKG 701's and 702's (Love the looks of the 01's color but like the ability to change out the wire on the 02's, also heard issues about comfort)

One thing I've read is it seems that most open-backs require an amp. Don't know if this is exactly true but I do want to try to get the best sound out of whatever I chose.

My price range is still in the 100-300 area for the headphones. An Amp if needed will just be another later purchase.

Sep 20, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #7,320 of 29,490

Quote:
Okay so I have been narrowing down my options a little bit, hopefully I'm not going in the completely wrong direction but I'll just have to find out.

Out of the ones mentioned to me I'm starting to dig the 940's but something about the appearance bugs me. I hate being one who wants an aesthetically appealing headphone.

So to start it off, I've decided for now that I will just use my Bose around ears for general traveling around and at the office. They do a decent job at playing my music and keeps the sound in so they won't bother others and it keeps them out just as nicely. So what I'm mainly looking for now is one to primarily use at home for mixing, watching movies/gaming, and regular music usage. 

I did try some open backed headphones today and really enjoyed the airy sound to them and since I'll be at home I'm not worried about bothering others with noise leaking. I still prefer closed-backs due to blocking outside sounds but open-backs will be fine. So the amount of headphones to chose from has grown more... Also when I said "heavy bass" in my first post what I really meant was something that sounded deeper then my Bose so I'm sure that won't be hard to beat. 

I was looking at:
Sennheiser HD-598 
Fisher Audio FA-011
AKG 701's and 702's (Love the looks of the 01's color but like the ability to change out the wire on the 02's, also heard issues about comfort)

One thing I've read is it seems that most open-backs require an amp. Don't know if this is exactly true but I do want to try to get the best sound out of whatever I chose.

My price range is still in the 100-300 area for the headphones. An Amp if needed will just be another later purchase.

The FA-011, 701, and 702 are absolutely unusable without an amp. The HD-598 would be your best bet out of the choices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back