++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #7,291 of 29,490

Quote:
$190 for a DT990 is a decent price for a consumer model (particularly if it's a high impedance one), though you can get a new pro model at that price.

Any other suggestions sir? Ideally, I want a closed transportable headphone so I would not bother anyone in the office. But I'm also good for open headphones 
biggrin.gif

Sep 19, 2011 at 1:14 PM Post #7,292 of 29,490

Quote:
Is roccat kave good headset?

All you've done is repeat the same question. I'm beginning to suspect that you're just trying to promote the brand, and I've noticed that you just added the roccat to the headfi product database which also raises the eyebrow.

Giving you benefit of the doubt, as I've mentiond many time before, being mostly an audiophile forum not many people here have heard the kave (possibly none at all). We've already given you many alternatives to look into.

Quote:
[size=10pt]Hi I am new here and I need some advice, in buying some headphones for mainly movie watching and PS3 playing :p but I have narrowed it down to 3 headphones/headset:[/size]

[size=10pt]1:ps3 wireless stereo headset
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-ps3.html

Virtuel surround sound when you play ps3 games
Stereo when hearing music and watching film
Battery: 7.5 timers
Frequency range: ?
[/size]

[size=10pt]2: Sony MDR-RF865RK[/size]
[size=10pt][size=x-small]http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-hi-fi-and-home-entertainment/mdr-rf865rk[/size]
Stereo
Battery: 25 timers
Frequency range: 10Hz - 22kHz

3: Sony MDR-DS6500
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666290086
7.1 Surround
Battery: 20 timer
Frequency range: 12Hz - 22kHz (Digital Input)
[/size]

I can't really offer too much info here, but do you really need the wireless? You pay extra for the convenience but lose out on sound quality. Same goes for the third option with noise cancellation; if you don't need it, don't pay for it.

I would really just avoid the first option. Spend money on audio gear made by an audio company.

Quote:
hey all, i am fairly new to the headphone world and  am looking to purchase my first pair of headphones.  in the past i have mainly used the ipod ones or some crappy skullcandy headphones.  I have decided to finally by a decent pair of phones because i will be traveling some in the next few months,  in addition to playing poker.  i have looked around somewhat and am still lost so i turn to 2+2.  Looking to spend 70$ or less can go a lil more, have looked at a few different sennheisers (hd 201, 202, and a few other models i dont remember).  does anyone have any suggestions on what to get?  i mainly listen to hip hop, and house music.  would be nice if they had a carrycase as well.(not sure if any even come with a case)  Thanks.  If it matters i will be using these with my ipod 98 percent of the time  

Here's some starting points...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/567012/the-portable-bass-kings-the-pioneer-hdj500-vs-akg-518-le-vs-the-first-look-at-the-new-at-ws55-solid-bass

Quote:
Dear Head-Fi,

I've been a very happy owner of a pair of Grado SR-80's for a few years now. I have a pair of K702's for home use, but i find myself prefering the Grado's since i've grown so accustom to using them - commutes, a trip to the supermarket, walks around town - the SR-80's are my weapon of choice. I like them with my P3+/Diymod, but they don't sound bad plugged straight into a regular ipod either. I'm wondering now, where do i go from here? So i guess my question is:

I love my Grado SR-80's characteristics and i'd like to upgrade, but i have no idea where to go. The next pair i buy should stay sub $200/€150 and have a low impendance so i can still plug them straight into a regular ipod if need be. What headphones do you guys recommend i look into?

Thanks in advance!

Best, Mike

You could always climb up the Grado ladder, although in my experience you have try the HF2 tier before noticing much difference (although a used 325 might be within budget). You could also consider getting a SR60 and experiment with modding.

For something a little different (I can't say "better"), there's the Phiaton MS300 which has a similar kind of Grado energy to it, but is closed and smaller in size.

Quote:
Any other suggestions sir? Ideally, I want a closed transportable headphone so I would not bother anyone in the office. But I'm also good for open headphones 
biggrin.gif

There's the entire DT range... 680/770/880/990. Maybe take a look at Ultrasones as well.

Hmm or you could consider the HD25-13 which is the 600 ohm version. Slightly better bass and top end in my opinion.

Sep 19, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #7,294 of 29,490

Quote:
You'll want decent construction, isolation, and portablity. A few to consider:
Senn HD280/380
Sony V6
Audio Technica M50
Shure 440/840

The problem with these is that they are too bulky/heavy in my opinion, with the exception of maybe the Shures.
A non-coiled relatively short cable is prefferable, and since I am using these with an iPhones, a mic and ipod controls are a plus, but not necessary.
Any other suggestions?

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:03 PM Post #7,295 of 29,490
All right, I finally purchased my first major headphone, the SRH940 and I wrote a review for them here.

I would like to thank DavidMahler, MalVeauX, Digital-Pride, Armaegis, tdockweiler, Tyll, wind016, WhiteCrow and many more users here for helping me choose the right headphone for me.

I also just want to give a shout-out to Armaegis for consistently trying to help many of the users who post here. Thank you for this effort, I can't even imagine how many people you've helped out just from this thread.

Sep 19, 2011 at 4:27 PM Post #7,296 of 29,490

Quote:
The problem with these is that they are too bulky/heavy in my opinion, with the exception of maybe the Shures.
A non-coiled relatively short cable is prefferable, and since I am using these with an iPhones, a mic and ipod controls are a plus, but not necessary.
Any other suggestions?

Senn PX200-IIi
AKG Q460
Phiaton MS300

Quote:
All right, I finally purchased my first major headphone, the SRH940 and I wrote a review for them here.

I would like to thank DavidMahler, MalVeauX, Digital-Pride, Armaegis, tdockweiler, Tyll, wind016, WhiteCrow and many more users here for helping me choose the right headphone for me.

I also just want to give a shout-out to Armaegis for consistently trying to help many of the users who post here. Thank you for this effort, I can't even imagine how many people you've helped out just from this thread.

You're welcome. I try my best, though it does get a bit overwhelming at times. Oftentimes I can't really answer a specific question, but I try to offer pointers or links as best I can.

And that's a nicely done review you have there.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:01 PM Post #7,297 of 29,490

Quote:
Do you like your TMA-1s? Why are you looking to replace them?

Just based on you wanting something else and your music choices I'd suggest the HD 598 in your price range. Excellent all rounder and they will absolutely blow the TMA-1 out of the water for Jazz, Classical and Piano. They work well with the others as well. I listen to mainly EDM and they're my favorite headphones for the price.

Currently, I'm debating between the HD 598 and K240 MK II.

For people who didn't see my original post:
up to $300
no amp
portability is no issue
jazz, pop, piano, classical, hip hop/rap, electronic music.

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #7,298 of 29,490

Quote:
What do you like about the AD700?  What don't you like about the AD700?  What do you think is missing?  Are you amped/unamped?  What source?

I enjoy the clarity and sound stage of the A700 (Not AD700). The bass is a little to rattly though and the sound is kind of hushed. Unamped from an iPod classic/mb pro.

Quote:
If you don't mind open on ear

Grado SR325i

Then a amp, nothing special. FiiO E7, Ibasso D-zero

i will check it out. hope there is an authorized retailer near me

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #7,299 of 29,490

Quote:
Currently, I'm debating between the HD 598 and K240 MK II.

For people who didn't see my original post:
up to $300
no amp
portability is no issue
jazz, pop, piano, classical, hip hop/rap, electronic music.

The AKG likes to have power behind it. The sound is a bit off without the headroom. I would go with the Senn.

Quote:
I enjoy the clarity and sound stage of the A700 (Not AD700). The bass is a little to rattly though and the sound is kind of hushed. Unamped from an iPod classic/mb pro.

i will check it out. hope there is an authorized retailer near me

If you can swing it, the A900 is a very noticeable upgrade from the A700 and offers much better bass extension and cleaner mids. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #7,300 of 29,490

Quote:

Quote:
I am looking for some new headphones. I currently own ATH-A700s and they just aren't doing it for me. I don't mind if they are open or closed back. IEMs work too. They don't NEED to be portable, but that would be a plus. I am looking to spend up to 400 dollars. I would listen to 30% rock, 30% techno, 10% dub step/experimental (skrillex and gorillaz mainly), 10% hip-hop, and 10% classical. Don't recommend beats. just don't.

I quoted your original post as well - just in case anyone else has ideas.

Grados are good cans - I love my MS1is - but I'm not sure they would totally suit your genres though.  Great for rock - but really not a techno can (just IMO).  You'll also find them very forward compared to the AD700 - and the sound-stage is quite narrow.   If you haven't heard a Grado before - I'd recommend starting out with an SR60i or SR80i - just to make sure they're what you're really after.  They won't need extra amping either.  If you're not used to supra-aural (on ear), you could get comfort issues.  I personally wouldn't recommend going straight to a SR325i at first.  A lot of people (check the modding threads) contend that the SR225i is the sweet-spot anyway.

Other cans you might enjoy - the Beyer DT880, or even the Beyer DT990.  The 880 is quite balanced, semi-open, moderate sound stage, good mix of bass, mids and highs - with a slight sparkle in the top end.  The 990 is more U shaped with enhanced bass and treble - I personally found the treble too hot - but a lot of people like them for rock.  They have a good sound-stage, and are often termed as a fun can - whereas some people find the DT880 boring in comparison.

With both Beyers - you really will need amping to get best benefit.  If you look at the 250 ohm rather than the 600 ohm, you can get away without spending too much on an amp.

I use the NFB-12 with my DT880's and it comfortably powers them.  For portable, my E11 copes with the 250 ohm no problem - probably not reaching true potential - but I still like the sound.  I lalso used the E7/E9 (when I had it) with my Beyers, and it did a good job of driving it (250ohm).

The one nice thing about the Beyers is that they are very comfortable.

I'd also wait for Armaegis to give his thoughts.  He's listened to a lot more gear - and will have some good ideas.  Sennheiser HD598 maybe - I haven't spent enough time with it to really recommend it.

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #7,301 of 29,490

Both the D2000 and XB1000 aren't known for great isolation.

I think the XB1000 is actually pretty special.  If you have a strong enough amp, it will give you all the bass you'd ever want, along with a pretty good sound across the rest of the spectrum.  If you also want isolation, you really should check out some Ultrasones, though.

Which ones

Sep 19, 2011 at 10:33 PM Post #7,303 of 29,490

Quote:
Would ohm rating affect the sound quality?

The ohm rating informs you of how hard/easy it is to drive the headphone. A higher ohm rating means it needs more power to drive, which in turn affects the sound you hear from it (running a 300 ohm Sennheiser HD 800 from an iPod for example would not be the optimal set-up for the best sound quality, but running a 16 ohm Sennheiser CX-300 from an iPod would be a good set-up).

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:21 PM Post #7,305 of 29,490

Quote:
Which ones

Just about all the Ultrasones share the same chassis, so there isn't much difference in terms of fit/comfort/isolation.

Quote:
Would ohm rating affect the sound quality?

In an ideal and simplified sense, with impedance strictly due to voice coil windings, then a higher impedance gives better control and in theory better sound, assuming adequate driving force from the amp. 

Remove all the assumptions and simplifications and generalizations and... well, your guess is as good as mine. My experiences have gone both ways, with some higher impedance cans sounding better, and some sounding worse... then toss is amplifier synergy and that's the start of a whole new headache. 

Quote:
The ohm rating informs you of how hard/easy it is to drive the headphone. A higher ohm rating means it needs more power to drive, which in turn affects the sound you hear from it (running a 300 ohm Sennheiser HD 800 from an iPod for example would not be the optimal set-up for the best sound quality, but running a 16 ohm Sennheiser CX-300 from an iPod would be a good set-up).

Though to expand: it's a combination of the impedance (and the related phase shift) and sensitivity of the headphone which affects a headphone's response. There are some perfectly capable 600 ohm cans that can be run from an ipod (the HD25-13 for example), while even the relatively lower impedance AKGs or Beyers might be somewhat underwhelming. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back