++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 18, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #7,277 of 29,490
Hi, I would first like to say that I am completely new to headphones.  I am looking to get a pair of closed back headphones under $300.  I will be doing most of my listening at my computer and also through my stereo receiver so that I can listen to vinyls.  I like everything, but mostly rock, acoustic, jazz, funk and classical.  I would really prefer good mid sounds with crisp highs.  I would like to be aware of the bass, but it's not the most important.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #7,278 of 29,490

Quote:
Hey guys,

What I am looking for is my "daily driver". This pair of cans is going to be used 6+ hours a day so first and foremost they have to be comfortable. I don't mind knowing that they are there - but they have to be extremely comfortable with good durable pads that don't make my ears touch the driver. They have to do well with movies and have good full bodied sound from top to bottom so it really gets me immersed in the movie. They don't have to be a huge bass-cannon as dialogue is important to me however they need to have some good strong impact. Lastly the same is required for gaming. I don't really need positional audio that much as I don't play competitive FPS anymore but rather the type of games which require the same sound I need as in movies and let's me get lost in the ambient sounds and music and makes me feel like I'm in the game.

In the running are:
DT990 600ohm, DT880 600ohm, Hifiman HE-300, Ultrasone Hifi-2400

Budget really isn't an issue but obviously I don't want to put 6+ hours a day on a $700+ pair of headphones.

Just as of note headphones I already own = Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000, Custom Wood/Re-cabled Denon AH-D2000, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700/900.

Thanks!

My vote goes to the DT880 or HFi2400. The Ultrasone will be more different than your current cans, while the DT880 will be more familiar.

Quote:
I am actually looking for a can for office use. I get crazy without music. 
tongue.gif
 However, there's a 8-month used, second hand pair in our local forum for around $190. Makes me think of getting it. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks sir. Will consider it also. :)

$190 for a DT990 is a decent price for a consumer model (particularly if it's a high impedance one), though you can get a new pro model at that price.

Quote:
Hey,
I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones mostly used for music and movies.
I'll be listening to them on the go (subway, bus, etc) and at home, and want something i can throw into my bag.
I mostly listen to rock, alternative and rap, and have a budget of around 150$.

I've been thinking about the C jays. Thoughts?
Can you recommend something else in my price range?

Thanks

You'll want decent construction, isolation, and portablity. A few to consider:
Senn HD280/380
Sony V6
Audio Technica M50
Shure 440/840

Quote:
I'm thinking about the beyerdynamic dt770 pros or the ultras one pro 750s or the ultrasone 780s or the denon d2000 which ever has the best bass and comfort etc.

DT770: strongest bass impact, quite comfy in the consumer model (pro model clamps harder but isolates better)
Pro750: very strong of bass rumble, good comfort
D2000: possibly the best low end extension so it has good body but not as much impact as the above two, least clamp and least isolation, best comfort

Quote:
Hi, I would first like to say that I am completely new to headphones.  I am looking to get a pair of closed back headphones under $300.  I will be doing most of my listening at my computer and also through my stereo receiver so that I can listen to vinyls.  I like everything, but mostly rock, acoustic, jazz, funk and classical.  I would really prefer good mid sounds with crisp highs.  I would like to be aware of the bass, but it's not the most important.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Shure 940 comes to mind.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #7,279 of 29,490
My vote goes to the DT880 or HFi2400. The Ultrasone will be more different than your current cans, while the DT880 will be more familiar.

$190 for a DT990 is a decent price for a consumer model (particularly if it's a high impedance one), though you can get a new pro model at that price.

You'll want decent construction, isolation, and portablity. A few to consider:
Senn HD280/380
Sony V6
Audio Technica M50
Shure 440/840

DT770: strongest bass impact, quite comfy in the consumer model (pro model clamps harder but isolates better)
Pro750: very strong of bass rumble, good comfort
D2000: possibly the best low end extension so it has good body but not as much impact as the above two, least clamp and least isolation, best comfort

Shure 940 comes to mind.

Ok so what's your suggestion of what is best for me??

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #7,280 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok so what's your suggestion of what is best for me??

I dislike simply telling people what is best, as it's all just subjective in the end anyways, so I try to simply present information on various options. If I had to pick on my own personal preference: Denon D2000

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #7,281 of 29,490

I dislike simply telling people what is best, as it's all just subjective in the end anyways, so I try to simply present information on various options. If I had to pick on my own personal preference: Denon D2000

Ok, I appreciate you stating your opinion. And I was just wondering what do you think about the monsterous Sony xb1000??

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #7,282 of 29,490

Quote:
Ok, I appreciate you stating your opinion. And I was just wondering what do you think about the monsterous Sony xb1000??

Not too many have tried it. Hifiguy on youtube did a review on them, not sure where it is though. He was very fond of them for their immersiveness and great synergy with electronic music like dance and trance, but its not the bassiest of the XB line. 

If you don't have much of a care of the other frequencies and you just want your head to rattle, get an xb500. 

If you want to hear a little more of the rest of the music but still have a nice low frequency presensce , move your way up the line to the xb700 or xb1000.

Caution: When i first came to head-fi, i thought i was a certified bass head. I was sadly a part of that "bigger/better bass = better quality headphone" stigma that so many blissfully ignorant people seem to believe these days. However i found out through my line of purchases that this is not the case. I actually got sick of the muddy bloated-ness of the previous phones i was using and sort of sent me in the opposite direction to more balanced types.

Just keep in mind that you may have to try a few times to figure out what you like. 

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #7,283 of 29,490

Quote:

I've heard the XB500/700, but not the 1000 (who knows if it'll ever get to Canada...). While they're fun, they are not really my cup of tea. I like bass... but not that much.

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:11 AM Post #7,284 of 29,490
Not too many have tried it. Hifiguy on youtube did a review on them, not sure where it is though. He was very fond of them for their immersiveness and great synergy with electronic music like dance and trance, but its not the bassiest of the XB line. 

If you don't have much of a care of the other frequencies and you just want your head to rattle, get an xb500. 

If you want to hear a little more of the rest of the music but still have a nice low frequency presensce , move your way up the line to the xb700 or xb1000.

Caution: When i first came to head-fi, i thought i was a certified bass head. I was sadly a part of that "bigger/better bass = better quality headphone" stigma that so many blissfully ignorant people seem to believe these days. However i found out through my line of purchases that this is not the case. I actually got sick of the muddy bloated-ness of the previous phones i was using and sort of sent me in the opposite direction to more balanced types.

Just keep in mind that you may have to try a few times to figure out what you like. 

And I like bassy headphones but I'll probably in a little bit realize what you've realized that I no longer enjoy the bass thumping so much I'll enjoy balanced but I'm not there yet:)

Sep 19, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #7,286 of 29,490
You know what I've actually realized what you have just did I'm gonna get some senn's and an amp for when I do want bass I'll turn it up now any suggestions or your opinion for just great headphones that are comfortable and don't leak and sound great

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #7,287 of 29,490
[size=10pt]Hi I am new here and I need some advice, in buying some headphones for mainly movie watching and PS3 playing :p but I have narrowed it down to 3 headphones/headset:[/size]

[size=10pt]1:ps3 wireless stereo headset
http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/wireless-stereo-headset-ps3.html

Virtuel surround sound when you play ps3 games
Stereo when hearing music and watching film
Battery: 7.5 timers
Frequency range: ?
[/size]

[size=10pt]2: Sony MDR-RF865RK[/size]
[size=10pt][size=x-small]http://www.sony.co.uk/product/hps-hi-fi-and-home-entertainment/mdr-rf865rk[/size]
Stereo
Battery: 25 timers
Frequency range: 10Hz - 22kHz

3: Sony MDR-DS6500
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921666290086
7.1 Surround
Battery: 20 timer
Frequency range: 12Hz - 22kHz (Digital Input)
[/size]

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #7,288 of 29,490
hey all, i am fairly new to the headphone world and  am looking to purchase my first pair of headphones.  in the past i have mainly used the ipod ones or some crappy skullcandy headphones.  I have decided to finally by a decent pair of phones because i will be traveling some in the next few months,  in addition to playing poker.  i have looked around somewhat and am still lost so i turn to 2+2.  Looking to spend 70$ or less can go a lil more, have looked at a few different sennheisers (hd 201, 202, and a few other models i dont remember).  does anyone have any suggestions on what to get?  i mainly listen to hip hop, and house music.  would be nice if they had a carrycase as well.(not sure if any even come with a case)  Thanks.  If it matters i will be using these with my ipod 98 percent of the time  

Sep 19, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #7,289 of 29,490

Quote:
You know what I've actually realized what you have just did I'm gonna get some senn's and an amp for when I do want bass I'll turn it up now any suggestions or your opinion for just great headphones that are comfortable and don't leak and sound great

Both the D2000 and XB1000 aren't known for great isolation.

I think the XB1000 is actually pretty special.  If you have a strong enough amp, it will give you all the bass you'd ever want, along with a pretty good sound across the rest of the spectrum.  If you also want isolation, you really should check out some Ultrasones, though.

Sep 19, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #7,290 of 29,490
Dear Head-Fi,

I've been a very happy owner of a pair of Grado SR-80's for a few years now. I have a pair of K702's for home use, but i find myself prefering the Grado's since i've grown so accustom to using them - commutes, a trip to the supermarket, walks around town - the SR-80's are my weapon of choice. I like them with my P3+/Diymod, but they don't sound bad plugged straight into a regular ipod either. I'm wondering now, where do i go from here? So i guess my question is:

I love my Grado SR-80's characteristics and i'd like to upgrade, but i have no idea where to go. The next pair i buy should stay sub $200/€150 and have a low impendance so i can still plug them straight into a regular ipod if need be. What headphones do you guys recommend i look into?

Thanks in advance!

Best, Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back