++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 18, 2011 at 4:13 AM Post #7,246 of 29,490
What an ideal Studio monitoring headphone? I assume the 7506/V6 are still the sub-$100 range standard, but I'm willing to try something different.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:43 AM Post #7,247 of 29,490

Quote:
does the bass overpower everything else with the m50 and how much would the srh840 be? i want to hear them as the reviews say they are good

The SRH-840's are mid-centric, but they do have a very nice low end signature, being closed and all. They are very nice and musical, with a truly balanced signature and slighty smoother highs which i have learned prefer and value.

The M50's have recessed mids and although that might sound like something you've never thought or cared about, you will notice it once its gone! I read about the recessed mids of the m50's in reviews before i bought it and thought pssssh, mids, big deal, i want BASS!! Big mistake. Most of the human hearing consists in the midrange of frequencies, and i didnt know that. So this headphone feels to have tons of missing information, which it does. It also has bright and fatiguing treble that i find completely intolerable for some kinds of music and otherwise unpreferable all around. Imagine being stabbed in the ear by a million little prickly cactus's. Thats what a high pitched guitar "feels" like on the ATH-m50s. On top of all that, the bass was very warm and present, but it surely wasn't earth shattering or amazing, i could even go to say that its a bit muddy, and that was supposed to be its big pony trick.

I would go with the Shures 100%. There is a reason why they are an all time favorite that re-appears time after time and not a flavor of the month. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:46 AM Post #7,248 of 29,490

Quote:
What an ideal Studio monitoring headphone? I assume the 7506/V6 are still the sub-$100 range standard, but I'm willing to try something different.

You could do the SRH-840's like above mentioned. They are a truly balanced signature. The V6's are great for both studio and audiophile use for the price and I really enjoy their sound, but if you want an upgrade from those, the shures are it. 

Avoid the M50's if you plan to do any enjoyable music listening at all, IMHO. They are okay for doing just field work and studio recording but honestly they are just a not pleasurable experience to listen to, no matter what type of music your listening to. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #7,249 of 29,490

Quote:
You could do the SRH-840's like above mentioned. They are a truly balanced signature. The V6's are great for both studio and audiophile use for the price and I really enjoy their sound, but if you want an upgrade from those, the shures are it. 

Avoid the M50's if you plan to do any enjoyable music listening at all, IMHO. They are okay for doing just field work and studio recording but honestly they are just a not pleasurable experience to listen to, no matter what type of music your listening to. 

Keep in mind that the 840's have a mid-bass hump, which some users here don't like. Other than that, they are very often recommended in this community.

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:57 AM Post #7,250 of 29,490

Quote:
Keep in mind that the 840's have a mid-bass hump, which some users here don't like. Other than that, they are very often recommended in this community.

I enjoy the mid-bass hump for its illusion of warmth, but if some people like cold and stabby, I suppose there are some people into just about everything :D

Sep 18, 2011 at 5:30 AM Post #7,251 of 29,490

Quote:

Funny you say that since I happen to own a pair of M50s and kept em for the sound signature. V6s it'll be (<$100), are they analytical and forward monitor or more balanced and smooth?

Sep 18, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #7,253 of 29,490
mm but does the headband clamp alot and how big is it? i think ill prefer the srh 840s after what u say since by basshead days r over :D

Quote:
The SRH-840's are mid-centric, but they do have a very nice low end signature, being closed and all. They are very nice and musical, with a truly balanced signature and slighty smoother highs which i have learned prefer and value.

The M50's have recessed mids and although that might sound like something you've never thought or cared about, you will notice it once its gone! I read about the recessed mids of the m50's in reviews before i bought it and thought pssssh, mids, big deal, i want BASS!! Big mistake. Most of the human hearing consists in the midrange of frequencies, and i didnt know that. So this headphone feels to have tons of missing information, which it does. It also has bright and fatiguing treble that i find completely intolerable for some kinds of music and otherwise unpreferable all around. Imagine being stabbed in the ear by a million little prickly cactus's. Thats what a high pitched guitar "feels" like on the ATH-m50s. On top of all that, the bass was very warm and present, but it surely wasn't earth shattering or amazing, i could even go to say that its a bit muddy, and that was supposed to be its big pony trick.

I would go with the Shures 100%. There is a reason why they are an all time favorite that re-appears time after time and not a flavor of the month

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #7,255 of 29,490
Do you like your TMA-1s? Why are you looking to replace them?

Just based on you wanting something else and your music choices I'd suggest the HD 598 in your price range. Excellent all rounder and they will absolutely blow the TMA-1 out of the water for Jazz, Classical and Piano. They work well with the others as well. I listen to mainly EDM and they're my favorite headphones for the price.

Quote:
Any suggestions?
My price range is up to around $300.
I listen to Jazz, Rock, Electronic, Pop, Hip Hop/Rap, Classical, and Piano.
Portability and comfort aren't really a factor for me.
I don't have an amp; I use an iPhone w/ mostly 320 kbps mp3s.

Umm...No, to be honest. I don't think there's a single headphone I like more for ~250 USD better than the 598.

What don't you like about them?

Quote:
Can anyone tell me about a pair of headphones that are better then the sennheisers 598 but are at the same price?

Sep 18, 2011 at 10:57 AM Post #7,256 of 29,490
Alright guys, lookin for some cans
-I need isolation as i take bus trips with my soccer team
-sub $200
-cord needs to be removable
-I play piano and write music for it as well, so needs good acoustic sound
-I listen to a wide variety of music but a lot of acoustic, alternative, and jazz.
-Added bonus of not being ugly :) 

If anyone can help, I much appreciate it, and will pay you with a shiny nickel. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #7,257 of 29,490
HD 25-1 II. Strong bass, but it's deceptively mid centric. 

Some of the best isolation in the business. Cord is replaceable, but I wouldn't call it removable because you have to use a screw driver to remove the stock cable. IMO, they look pretty good.

I was going to suggest the TMA-1 until you said Acoustic music. ;~:

Quote:
Alright guys, lookin for some cans
-I need isolation as i take bus trips with my soccer team
-sub $200
-cord needs to be removable
-I play piano and write music for it as well, so needs good acoustic sound
-I listen to a wide variety of music but a lot of acoustic, alternative, and jazz.
-Added bonus of not being ugly :) 

If anyone can help, I much appreciate it, and will pay you with a shiny nickel. 

Sep 18, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #7,260 of 29,490
True 5.1 headsets (no amp to simulate it in stereo) are hard to come by, and certainly not of high audio quality. 

I know Triton has a model around $130, but I'd still recommend a decent can with an Astro MixAmp over any true 5.1. 

Quote:
Best headphones (gaming) 5.1 without amp .. For 170$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back