++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 17, 2011 at 10:03 AM Post #7,216 of 29,490
Klipsch S4. I really enjoyed mine, and their bass is amazing.

Quote:
Hey guys, I need a durable IEM with as much bass impact as possible unamped. Preferably with 32 ohms of resistance or slightly higher. Price range is around $50 

Thanks in advance 
atsmile.gif

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #7,218 of 29,490
HD600 or HD650??? 

For jazz, classical, vocal, blues,  soft rock. I dont listen to any metal, hip top, trance or very fast music, the fastest music i listen to is
something like dire straits,  the eagles or similar, but mostly i listen to pure instrumental and vocal music.

My current setup is Asus xonar D2X ---> pro-ject headbox SEII amp  --> headphones.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #7,219 of 29,490
I'm itching to buy a nice pair of headphones with a max of $160. I don't want to stretch any further than that.

I listen to a lot of bass heavy progressive trance, progressive house, and house music, and on the contrary a bit of rock, metal, and whatever 311 falls under (very precise drums, guitar, and a little bass work). I have a pair of hd 202's and they serve me very well, only to fall short in the bass department. Three headphones I've picked out are these:

Shure SRH-840
Audio Technica M-50
hfi-580

Any suggestions?

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #7,220 of 29,490
To be honest those are all pretty good choices. Mine would probably be the 580, 840 second, and M50 third. The 580 has a pretty 'in-your'-face' sound, and I like that. The 840 is more flat (which I also like) and probably the best all rounder.

I think the M50 is a good headphone, but over-rated. Sounds good, but comfort is lower than the other 2 (IMO), and they were just my least favorite sound wise.

Quote:
I'm itching to buy a nice pair of headphones with a max of $160. I don't want to stretch any further than that.

I listen to a lot of bass heavy progressive trance, progressive house, and house music, and on the contrary a bit of rock, metal, and whatever 311 falls under (very precise drums, guitar, and a little bass work). I have a pair of hd 202's and they serve me very well, only to fall short in the bass department. Three headphones I've picked out are these:

Shure SRH-840
Audio Technica M-50
hfi-580

Any suggestions?

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:52 AM Post #7,221 of 29,490
Looking to buy some decent headphones. Budget is around AU$200, can be stretched a little for a real bargain. Willing to buy online.

Listen to mostly Prog metal like Dream Theater, Opeth and Nevermore but also anything from Megadeth to Pink Floyd, Radiohead and some Jazz. I also watch a lot of movies, tv shows and anime on headphones and the ability to tracking guitars via them is also a plus, but not my main aim I don't really enjoy the technological side of music.

Source is a MacBook Pro and iPhone, no amp, but that can be purchased, if portable. Will mostly be used at home, but also on the train to Uni.

Sep 17, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #7,224 of 29,490
So i own the HD598 but just recently got a hold of some XB500's,. i like the bass and forward sound from the xb500's but i also like the higher quality sound coming from the hd598's are there any cans that will meet my needs? Have a budget of $250

Cheers

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #7,225 of 29,490
I've been wanting to purchase a headphone but have no idea whatsoever where to start. I will be using it to do edits on movies and sound effects (film student), but I want to use the headphone with my ipod as well. I mostly use it when I'm walking, in the bus, the library (so minimal noise leak and isolation), and I fly quite often too. I mostly listen to classical, indie, vocal, jazz, slow rock. My budget is around $150, any idea what headphone I should get?

Thanks

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #7,226 of 29,490

Quote:
So i own the HD598 but just recently got a hold of some XB500's,. i like the bass and forward sound from the xb500's but i also like the higher quality sound coming from the hd598's are there any cans that will meet my needs? Have a budget of $250

Cheers

So you want a XB500 with better quality sound then? You could up the line and get some XB1000's from japan, I heard they were great! A lot more Hifi but still have the same line of sound. 

Sep 17, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #7,227 of 29,490

Quote:
I've been wanting to purchase a headphone but have no idea whatsoever where to start. I will be using it to do edits on movies and sound effects (film student), but I want to use the headphone with my ipod as well. I mostly use it when I'm walking, in the bus, the library (so minimal noise leak and isolation), and I fly quite often too. I mostly listen to classical, indie, vocal, jazz, slow rock. My budget is around $150, any idea what headphone I should get?

Thanks

If you want something super portable with good sound quality for those genres, I'd look at the Beyerdynamic DT 1350 of the Sennheiser HD25-1.

Both are pushing your budget a little bit though. 

I have the M50's in that price range, but i wouldn't really recommend them to anybody unless they like huge headphones and their music to sound sedated and bloated, with ear stabbing highs.

Maybe you should get some IEM's. The Fischer Audio Eternas are great, maybe a Sennheiser IE6, you can pick one of those up for 111$ on amazon and I've heard they sound great

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #7,228 of 29,490
Currently I own the Grado SR60i and they are great.  However I take the the train to school everyday and as you can imagine they are not the best headphones to use on the train.  I'm looking for a portable closed set of headphones.  I have heard that the Sennheiser PX 200-II are good for such occasions. Are they good for my needs?  Any other recommendations?

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #7,230 of 29,490

Quote:
Best 5.1 headphones in 2011 for around 170$

Do you mean best 2.0 stereo headphones for doing 5.1 surround sound
or gamer 5.1 headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back