++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 16, 2011 at 2:43 PM Post #7,201 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones

currently, I have the Bose QC15 headphones but I've had them for about four years, and bought them because I was so amazed by the noise canceling feature.

Anyway, now they're really worn. What I'm looking for is the best possible pair of headphones between $400 and $500 dollars.

The thing is, I know close to nothing about headphones and equipment.

I will be listening 90% of the time on my Macbook and 10% on my iPod. I really don't want an amp because I am often in transit and don't want to lug around an amp of any kind. I want headphones that sound fantastic just plugged into my mac/iPod.

I don't want noise cancelling headphones--however I do like isolation. I am also concerned with leaking (I have two roommates).

I predominantly listen to Brazilian music (tropicalia, bossa nova). I also listen to a lot of classical piano as well as female vocalists (Joni Mitchell/ Melanie etc.). Even though I have given you a picture of my music tastes as lacking bass, I really love dubstep as well as funk/jazz.

So, they have to be well-rounded headphones.

Thanks so much!!! 

If your in transit a lot i guess it also comes down to what you like for portability as well.

I was going to reccomend some denon ah-d2000's but they DO sound better with some ampage, and they are quite large.

For headphones that are good all rounders, i would say your best bet would be the sony V6's or 7506's.

If you want to go the IEM route, I would get a pair of Sony ex600's or Fischer Audio Eterna's for your music tastes

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #7,202 of 29,490
I'm not too worried about bulkiness in transit.
and only over-ear headphones, no IEMs.
I really appreciate your recommendations! I am willing to spend more than 400 dollars on headphones if that in any way changes or adds to your list.

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #7,205 of 29,490
True 5.1 or simulated? I assume simulated because you're asking here...If so Amazon has the HD 598 for $180 right now and it's amazing for positioning with surround sound.

Quote:
I want to know the best headphone I can buy for around 170$ that works perfectly for surround sound (5.1)

Sep 16, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #7,206 of 29,490

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair of headphones

currently, I have the Bose QC15 headphones but I've had them for about four years, and bought them because I was so amazed by the noise canceling feature.

Anyway, now they're really worn. What I'm looking for is the best possible pair of headphones between $400 and $500 dollars.

The thing is, I know close to nothing about headphones and equipment.

I will be listening 90% of the time on my Macbook and 10% on my iPod. I really don't want an amp because I am often in transit and don't want to lug around an amp of any kind. I want headphones that sound fantastic just plugged into my mac/iPod.

I don't want noise cancelling headphones--however I do like isolation. I am also concerned with leaking (I have two roommates).

I predominantly listen to Brazilian music (tropicalia, bossa nova). I also listen to a lot of classical piano as well as female vocalists (Joni Mitchell/ Melanie etc.). Even though I have given you a picture of my music tastes as lacking bass, I really love dubstep as well as funk/jazz.

So, they have to be well-rounded headphones.

Thanks so much!!! 

Quote:
I'm not too worried about bulkiness in transit.
and only over-ear headphones, no IEMs.
I really appreciate your recommendations! I am willing to spend more than 400 dollars on headphones if that in any way changes or adds to your list.

over ear, strong isolation, midcentric vocal tones... the Shure 940 springs to mind

Quote:
Hello. I have a Little Dot MKIII. And im looking headphones for rock/metal. Any recommendations? Price range would be something under 500$

Ooh, save up a little bit more and take the plunge on the new upcoming Grado PS500 and let us know how it sounds!

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #7,208 of 29,490

Quote:
Tritton AX Pro

or

Roccat Kave

or

Audio Technica ATH-AD900

Ask yourself something: which makes more sense... a gaming company making good headphones, or a audio company making good headphones?

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #7,209 of 29,490
I would say audio ofc.. but I need surround sound, to position enemies in games etc.. so please recommend me the best audio headphones that goes with 5.1 as well.. so I can watch movies and feel the effects .. also in gaming as I said before.. if you dont mind adding my email as well; mizorayes_47@hotmail.com to discuss with me few things, I hate forums :D

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:38 PM Post #7,210 of 29,490
I would say audio ofc.. but I need surround sound, to position enemies in games etc.. so please recommend me the best audio headphones that goes with 5.1 as well.. so I can watch movies and feel the effects .. also in gaming as I said before.. if you dont mind adding my email as well; mizorayes_47@hotmail.com to discuss with me few things, I hate forums :D

I'm not emailing but I'll respond here again. I hate emails.

I'd suggest an amp that does simulated 5.1 and a decent headphone.

Astro MixAmp and the HD 598 would be my recommendation. I loved my MixAmp, and the 598 does amazingly well with positioning without a fall off in bass (like most headphones recommended for gaming).

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #7,211 of 29,490
Hey, head-fiers, a long time lurker here looking for a bit of an advice from you true vets. Recently my old and trusty HD 555s, which had served me well for  several years, broke (can hear rattling on the left ear on lows, anything to do about this?) so now I am on a hunt for new headphones. I use my headphones mainly for gaming, but I also listen to all different variety of music eg. trance, alt. rock and indie. I'm on a tight student budget (about 100€s) so nothing too fancy. As I said, I really loved my HD 555s but they seem to have been discontinued. Anything similiar to them or better? Also, I've been thinking about trying closed headphones, as I live in a small apartment with several other people around and I loooove to listen to music late... So closed headphones aren't a must, but if there are any decent ones with similiar qualites to the HD 555 I'd be glad to hear. :)

Thanks in advance.

edit. Also I've been thinking about upgrading my dead old soundcard/amp. Any suggestions for a rather cheap one that would go well with the headphones?

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #7,212 of 29,490
Hey, head-fiers, a long time lurker here looking for a bit of an advice from you true vets. Recently my old and trusty HD 555s, which had served me well for  several years, broke (can hear rattling on the left ear on lows, anything to do about this?) so now I am on a hunt for new headphones. I use my headphones mainly for gaming, but I also listen to all different variety of music eg. trance, alt. rock and indie. I'm on a tight student budget (about 100€s) so nothing too fancy. As I said, I really loved my HD 555s but they seem to have been discontinued. Anything similiar to them or better? Also, I've been thinking about trying closed headphones, as I live in a small apartment with several other people around and I loooove to listen to music late... So closed headphones aren't a must, but if there are any decent ones with similiar qualites to the HD 555 I'd be glad to hear. :)

Thanks in advance.

You need a 598. :D

Think that's over budget though. Though you could keep an eye out for a used pair. It's only ~40 USD over budget new right now.

If they're used mainly for gaming you may want to keep them open. I'm not too sure what to suggest as I'm not too familiar with the 555.

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #7,214 of 29,490
Can't comment on the HFI 2400, but I can say this. The D2000/5000/7000 are the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. It's amazing. Better than Beyers, IMO.

Quote:
Anybody heard the Denon 2000 and the HFI 2400 before? How to they compare?
Also is the Denon 2000 comfortable for long periods?

Sep 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM Post #7,215 of 29,490
Hey guys, I need a durable IEM with as much bass impact as possible unamped. Preferably with 32 ohms of resistance or slightly higher. Price range is around $50 

Thanks in advance 
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back