++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 2, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #6,857 of 29,490
The price is a little weird, considering that i live in Brazil, and the guy imports then from China, straight from the factory (he says) The seller has positive feedback (it's kinda off a local Ebay) so i think i can trust him.

Quote:
That's approacing the "too good to be true" assuming they're new. Is the store an authorized reseller.

And no they don't need an amp. Get the headphones and enjoy them first before deciding to spend money on diminishing returns.

Sep 2, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #6,859 of 29,490

Quote:
In open headphones, I've always liked Audio Technicas for female vocals, and Sennheisers for male vocals. In closed headphones, hmm I might still lean towards a closed Senn like the HD380. Off your list, I'd go with the Shure 840 which has a nice midbass growl to it. The T50p is more of a rock headphone to me. The 580 and M50 don't have the mids that I like for vocals.

Thanks for this. Would you recommend the Senn HD380 over the Shure 840s, then?

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #6,860 of 29,490
I made my own thread before spotting this one.  I apologize.  But here I am, a headphone newbie looking for his first set of real cans.

Budget: $100-150
Purpose:  90% listening to music; 10% watching movies
Set-up: iPod (about 40% lossless format), no amplifier.  Not interested in buying an amplifier right now.
Musical tastes: Alternative and classic rock, blues, jazz, singer/songwriter, orchestral
Preferences: balanced sound but lively and immersive.  Don't need my head to rattle from bass and I can't really stand harsh treble.  I also plan on wearing these for hours at a time, so comfort (with glasses) is a must.

I have a quiet, private office at work.  Disturbing coworkers with leaking sound and excessive extraneous noise getting in are not concerns.  Therefore, I'm leaning towards getting an open design because I've heard they have superior sound staging and sound quality overall. 

Thus far I've been considering the Sennheiser HD 5X5 series and the Grado SR80i.  Someone else also recommended the Fischer 011s, but I'm slightly wary of those due to the high impedence.  Any input on my current candidates or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #6,861 of 29,490

Quote:
The price is a little weird, considering that i live in Brazil, and the guy imports then from China, straight from the factory (he says) The seller has positive feedback (it's kinda off a local Ebay) so i think i can trust him.

That raises a ton of red flags right there. I think there's a high probability that he is selling fakes (and he may or may not know it, but the "direct from factory" is a dead giveaway). 

Quote:
I'm wondering if there's anything better than the Senn 598s for soundstage/direction/mids/a little bass for ~$200. Not overwhelming bass though.
AD700
AD900
HD558
HD598
SR850
???

I would say it's a tossup between the AD900 and 598. 

Quote:
Thanks for this. Would you recommend the Senn HD380 over the Shure 840s, then?

I like the sound of the 840, but found them rather heavy. The HD380 was much more comfortable and isolated better.

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #6,862 of 29,490
Good evening all,

Looking for suggestions for headphones, over ear, for listening to classical / opera / jazz.  Budget is $300.  Comfort is a prime consideration.  I do wear glasses.  These headphones would be used at home and open back is fine.  I would be playing the music via an ipod.  I do not have an amp at present. 

Thank you for your suggestions!

Sep 2, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #6,863 of 29,490

Quote:
Good evening all,

Looking for suggestions for headphones, over ear, for listening to classical / opera / jazz.  Budget is $300.  Comfort is a prime consideration.  I do wear glasses.  These headphones would be used at home and open back is fine.  I would be playing the music via an ipod.  I do not have an amp at present. 

Thank you for your suggestions!

Audio Technica AD900 or maybe an AD1000 if you can find one. The entire series is supremely comfortable, with great midrange that brings forward vocals and offers huge soundstage that will really bring out the vastness of classical and opera. 

Sep 3, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #6,864 of 29,490
Hello all,
I'm Ale from Italy.
The next month I'm going to HK, so a visit to Jaben is sure!
I would like to buy a good pair of headphones.
As portable setup, I have a Hippo Gumstick + Radius DDM, and I love them.
At home, I have a pair of B&W CDM-7 SE with a NAD C350 amplifier.
I would use the headphone when I cannot disturb my wife or the neighbours!
After reading the forum, I was thinking to listen to:
HD600
DT880 600 ohm
HE-300

Any other suggestion?

I listen to classical music, rock, some jazz, some acoustic and I would like something with a good soundstage.

Thank you very much.

Ale

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #6,865 of 29,490
Hello all, first post here at head-fi. My ventures into headphones has been minute thus far. I started my journey with the motivation for gaming, and purchased some horrific products (turtle beach) out of ignorance. Then I stumbled upon some Steelseries Siberia V1's and used them along with an ASTRO Mix Amp for the dolby digital surround sound. My Siberia V2's just went out today and I'm on the prowl for an ideal "next" headset. My price range is around $300. I will be using them mainly for gaming, but I do enjoy using headphones for all sorts of applications such as music (jazz, hip-hop, ska occasionally, dubstep, techo, some house) and movies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've read some reviews for the Sennheiser 598's, 595's and AD900's,however I'm open to any brand/headphone that offers the right sound at the right price. I guess an ideal feature for this new pair would be adequate bass or best bass possible (if possible for my applications?). I understand my music range may be wide(or not...) but my ear's... "palate" is very miniscule compared to most, and my experience with high quality headphones is nonexistent.

Sep 3, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #6,868 of 29,490

Quote:
Hello all,
I'm Ale from Italy.
The next month I'm going to HK, so a visit to Jaben is sure!
I would like to buy a good pair of headphones.
As portable setup, I have a Hippo Gumstick + Radius DDM, and I love them.
At home, I have a pair of B&W CDM-7 SE with a NAD C350 amplifier.
I would use the headphone when I cannot disturb my wife or the neighbours!
After reading the forum, I was thinking to listen to:
HD600
DT880 600 ohm
HE-300

Any other suggestion?

I listen to classical music, rock, some jazz, some acoustic and I would like something with a good soundstage.

Thank you very much.

Ale

If you're concerned about not disturbing your wife, perhaps you should be considering closed headphones instead?

Quote:
Hello all, first post here at head-fi. My ventures into headphones has been minute thus far. I started my journey with the motivation for gaming, and purchased some horrific products (turtle beach) out of ignorance. Then I stumbled upon some Steelseries Siberia V1's and used them along with an ASTRO Mix Amp for the dolby digital surround sound. My Siberia V2's just went out today and I'm on the prowl for an ideal "next" headset. My price range is around $300. I will be using them mainly for gaming, but I do enjoy using headphones for all sorts of applications such as music (jazz, hip-hop, ska occasionally, dubstep, techo, some house) and movies. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've read some reviews for the Sennheiser 598's, 595's and AD900's,however I'm open to any brand/headphone that offers the right sound at the right price. I guess an ideal feature for this new pair would be adequate bass or best bass possible (if possible for my applications?). I understand my music range may be wide(or not...) but my ear's... "palate" is very miniscule compared to most, and my experience with high quality headphones is nonexistent.

The three you listed would all be excellent for gaming, with the Senns trading out some soundstage/positioning for a bit more bass. If you want a mic, consider the PC360.

You generally do not want strong bass for competitive FPS gaming because it interferes with positional cues. For casual gaming though, bass is fine.

Quote:
How are the Fischer Audio FA-011's for gaming and pop? Worth $130 new?
They're 160 ohms and my amp does 150... does that matter?

If your amp is rated up to 150 ohms, the extra ten will not be a problem.

Quote:
Hi everyone, im considering buying the ultrasone DJ1's, is it true that their the same as the hfi-580's?

Most reviews I've read say yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back