++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Jun 9, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #4,516 of 29,490

Quote:
Are you a FPS gamer? If so, you don't want too much bass which will obscure your directional details.

Well, a little bit of everything including FPS. I find my ad700's lacking on bass for the explosions and i want something bassier. Probably not a good idea right? what would you recommend?

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #4,517 of 29,490
Any recommendations on retailers that will ship Grado's to Canada with out ridiculous price increases? Or a recommendation on other headphones for entry level (sub $100) that aren't ridiculous on the bass?

Apparently grado's have a nice mid range and are quite flat in response, which is what I am looking for.

Cheers,

Jun 9, 2011 at 11:35 AM Post #4,518 of 29,490
Quote:
Any recommendations on retailers that will ship Grado's to Canada with out ridiculous price increases? Or a recommendation on other headphones for entry level (sub $100) that aren't ridiculous on the bass?

Apparently grado's have a nice mid range and are quite flat in response, which is what I am looking for.

Cheers,

Grado's aren't flat at all.  They're pretty bright and the higher end ones have emphasized mid-bass as well.  The mids are nice and lush though.  You should take a look at the Alessandro series which aren't subject to Grado's stupid international pricing policies and are supposed to have toned down highs.  Plenty of people like them better than the regular Grados but I haven't had a chance to hear an Alessandro myself yet.

Jun 9, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #4,519 of 29,490

Quote:

Cheers,

I doubt you'll find any company willing to ship a new Grado to Canada.  Grado could cut them off.  As maverickronin said, look at Alessandro, but look elsewhere if you want flat

Jun 9, 2011 at 1:47 PM Post #4,521 of 29,490
Quote:
Ah guess I miss read the threads about grados. What other recommendations are there for a nice flat response? Or at least well defined mids?

A Sony V6 or maybe a Fostex T50RP if you've got some kind of amp or home theater receiver to pulg them into.

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #4,522 of 29,490

Hello Head-Fi’ers!

I decided to create an account here as lurking didn’t do the trick for me. A couple of days ago my old headphones died so now I’m looking for new ones. Here are some of my requirements:

Price range: about 100 dollars could go a bit higher if needed.
Main use: mostly on the road; bus/train and when needed on my laptop for music.
Type: pref. Closed Circumaural, I would like to keep my music for myself and the noise out.
Music taste: I listen to metal primarily; mostly melodeath and progressive (Meshuggah, Periphery, Animals As Leaders, etc.). Then there’s some jazz, classical, alternative, punk rock etc.
Audio source: iPhone, Express Chipset Family HD Audio (Realtek).
Other: I do not intend to use an amp, portability and durability is a must, I prefer a single cable, I do like ‘thumping’ bass I guess, most of the progressive metal is insanely low tuned so a deep bass sound would also be preferred.

[size=11.0pt]I’ve looked at some of the Sennheiser models, as I have used them before and have always liked them, and came up with the HD 280 Pro. However, I found them to be quite large and read that the durability was an issue. Also looked at the HD 400 series but figured they were not the best, so I’m stuck now. Any suggestions?[/size]

Jun 9, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #4,523 of 29,490
Well, a little bit of everything including FPS. I find my ad700's lacking on bass for the explosions and i want something bassier. Probably not a good idea right? what would you recommend?

If you play competitively, the bump in the bass region will only hinder your performance. If you play recreationally, that extra punch in bass will usually make the matches more involving and exhilarating. 
You should peek at Mad Lust Envy's gaming headphone thread for recommendations; it's been linked in the first page of this thread.

Hello Head-Fi’ers!

I decided to create an account here as lurking didn’t do the trick for me. A couple of days ago my old headphones died so now I’m looking for new ones. Here are some of my requirements:

Price range: about 100 dollars could go a bit higher if needed.
Main use: mostly on the road; bus/train and when needed on my laptop for music.
Type: pref. Closed Circumaural, I would like to keep my music for myself and the noise out.
Music taste: I listen to metal primarily; mostly melodeath and progressive (Meshuggah, Periphery, Animals As Leaders, etc.). Then there’s some jazz, classical, alternative, punk rock etc.
Audio source: iPhone, Express Chipset Family HD Audio (Realtek).
Other: I do not intend to use an amp, portability and durability is a must, I prefer a single cable, I do like ‘thumping’ bass I guess, most of the progressive metal is insanely low tuned so a deep bass sound would also be preferred.

[size=11pt]I’ve looked at some of the Sennheiser models, as I have used them before and have always liked them, and came up with the HD 280 Pro. However, I found them to be quite large and read that the durability was an issue. Also looked at the HD 400 series but figured they were not the best, so I’m stuck now. Any suggestions?[/size]

I'd recommend the XB700, but it's not portable.
Try the M50 (it is >$100 new), though I can't say it's a glorious headphone for classical.

Jun 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4,524 of 29,490
Here is my question,

Since I have made a customization to my Pioneer SE-450 by replacing the drives for speakers from my old creative 5.1 surround sound set which I didn't use anymore anyway, but too shameful it still didn’t have any base, even though there still pretty rock solid. They are like 20 years and survived a lot, it doesn't have good sound overall so that's why I was looking other ones.

I have been looking for a good set of headphones with the durability at least as my SE-450. for about half a year and have been looking around, listening comparing, but I can’t seem to find just right ones that fit me. You know what I'm saying? now I heard A good headphone The AKG 701 it has a real big amount of details it lets you hear anything even the bad parts of the sound but it was so much clear I want that great sound a, little too less bass impact maybe, but other than that it’s a great set, but its wasn’t closed. So secondly I needed to look further,

my music is Pink Floyd, Rolling stones, the doors, David Bowie, Angelspit, Evanescence, Rammstein, slipknot, Joe Satriani, Carlos Santana.

I do game A lot in the night and don’t want to wake-up everybody, so noise cancellation or any other sound isolating would be appreciated,  

BTW I use an onboard Soundcard and The Denon AVC-A1, 5.1 Amplifier with a headphone output is that good enough? O and I'm living in the Netherlands.

Specs:

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T 4.12GHz.
AMD HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 CrossfireX.
GA-890GPA-UD3H
4X4GB Kingston DDR3 HyperX 1600MHz 16Gig in Total.
Corsair AX1200 Gold Certified.
2TB Seagate HDD 2X.
OS: Windows Vista Ultimate Servicepack 1 64Bit, Ubuntu 11.04 x64.

My budget is up to $300.

Edited by vwxy20 - Today at 12:05 pm

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #4,525 of 29,490
You can always resell them.  It's a shame no other headphone company other than Beyer tells you what the clamping force is on their headphones.  I don't know about the DT1350, but they Beyers I've owned or tried, DT831, DT931, DT770, DT880, and DT990, all are very comfortable.

Edit:  I looked to see how the DT1350 compares and evidently Beyer doesn't publish clamping pressure any more.  You might want to post your question on the dedicated DT1350 thread or the Beyer Owners Unite thread.

Manual tests using a digital kitchen scale and some books by a guy on head-fi (can't give credit forgot name) indicate that they have a clamping force of 7.5g closed and 13.2g open compared to the Senns which tested 7.0 and 13.0. How can I tell if they will hurt my head? It is a hassle to return as I would have to purchase them online and I don't want to resell them and lose out on some cash like what happened with my IE7, they gave me too much ear fatigue. Does I make a difference that I have very small ears that are relatively flat?

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #4,526 of 29,490

Quote:

Hey head-fi ers :D Yet another lurker here. So after a long time I've decided to spend some money on headphones. I'm a grad student so I don't have a lot of cash to burn. But if it's worth it I'm willing to spend UPTO 200$. I don't really need a portable set up. What I can't decide right now is whether to get a good headphone close too my budget or a get a cheaper headphone + DAC/amp or get a cheaper headphone + DAC which I'm guessing would benefit my speakers too. But I'm not sure how much of an improvement AV 40s would show with a better source which is currently my laptop.

I don't need the headphone to be closed. I'll be listening in my own room so isolation, leakage etc is not a problem at all. Although no audiophile, I think I'm past the bass loving stage. I prefer better mids and highs.

SR 225i
SR 60i with DAC/AMP?

AKG 272 HD
AKG K271MKII

DT 770-PRO 250 Ohms
DT 990 PRO 250 Ohms

Denon D1100

SRH 840

I've only listened to HD 555. But I found it to be incredibly boring. That's why I didn't include the senns.

I'm particularly drawn towards the grados for obvious reasons. But I'm wondering about the difference between SR60 amped and SR225 unamped.

I've no clue about DAC/Amp too! FiiO e7 or X-Fi HD?

I've owned a fair number of the headphones you list, and I would rank them SR225>SR60>SRH840>K271.  Between SR225 straight out an ipod/computer or SR60 with an inexpensive amp/dac (e.g. udac), I'd choose the latter if your files are over 200 kbps.

Jun 9, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #4,527 of 29,490

Quote:
Quote:
You can always resell them.  It's a shame no other headphone company other than Beyer tells you what the clamping force is on their headphones.  I don't know about the DT1350, but they Beyers I've owned or tried, DT831, DT931, DT770, DT880, and DT990, all are very comfortable.

Edit:  I looked to see how the DT1350 compares and evidently Beyer doesn't publish clamping pressure any more.  You might want to post your question on the dedicated DT1350 thread or the Beyer Owners Unite thread.

Manual tests using a digital kitchen scale and some books by a guy on head-fi (can't give credit forgot name) indicate that they have a clamping force of 7.5g closed and 13.2g open compared to the Senns which tested 7.0 and 13.0. How can I tell if they will hurt my head? It is a hassle to return as I would have to purchase them online and I don't want to resell them and lose out on some cash like what happened with my IE7, they gave me too much ear fatigue. Does I make a difference that I have very small ears that are relatively flat?

I'd pass on them if I were you.  I've never tried the HD25, but I've tried other supraaural headphones that don't clamp hard and some have bothered my ears.  Most are OK for at least a few hours, but something that clamps hard will be annoying quicker.  I have relatively flat ears too.

The only caveat to my statement is that if you need isolation, you won't get it without the headphones clamping hard.  The only exception I know of to that rule is the B&W P5.

Jun 10, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #4,528 of 29,490
I am looking for some comfortable headphones for wearing all day at work (i.e. 8 hours+). Based on reviews I have read I am leaning towards looking at the ATH M-50, SRH 840 or maybe HD 25-1. Any advice regarding comfort and/or sound would be much appreciated. I listen to a very wide variety of genres including classical, jazz, blues, pop, prog rock, hard rock and metal.

My current headphones are Fostex T20RP mk II, which sound great but unfortunately are really not comfortable to wear for long periods.

Jun 10, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #4,529 of 29,490
What's ur budget? One of the most comfortable headphones Ive ever worn are the Denon D2000/5000/7000s. Doesnt even feel like they're on my head. Not sure as I've never tried them before but i have seen alot of people here claim extreme comfort from the AD700s as well.

Quote:
I am looking for some comfortable headphones for wearing all day at work (i.e. 8 hours+). Based on reviews I have read I am leaning towards looking at the ATH M-50, SRH 840 or maybe HD 25-1. Any advice regarding comfort and/or sound would be much appreciated. I listen to a very wide variety of genres including classical, jazz, blues, pop, prog rock, hard rock and metal.

My current headphones are Fostex T20RP mk II, which sound great but unfortunately are really not comfortable to wear for long periods.

Jun 10, 2011 at 8:08 AM Post #4,530 of 29,490
My budget is in the range of the phones I listed.... I don't intend to go over $250, and will preferably spend considerably less than that. Which puts the D2000 just above the top of that range (from a quick ebay search), and the other Denons right out. As for the AD700s, I understand that they're an open design which is not so good for sound leakage in an office environment?

Also, I should mention that I'm intending to run the cans straight out of a PC with no amp.

Quote:
What's ur budget? One of the most comfortable headphones Ive ever worn are the Denon D2000/5000/7000s. Doesnt even feel like they're on my head. Not sure as I've never tried them before but i have seen alot of people here claim extreme comfort from the AD700s as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back