++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Mar 23, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #2,431 of 29,490
Quote:
Asking again as things get buried so easily. PC350 vs MMX 300.

Thank you

Read here.  The MMX300 is the same as the DT770 premium but with a mic.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:53 PM Post #2,432 of 29,490
Other than the materials on the outside, is there any difference worth the extra money in sound quality for the LE model?

Quote:
Get the Edition 8's they are a great all rounder, check my signature. I have the ED8 LE's so I speak from personal experience, I'm pretty sure you won't regret the purchase. The only thing I regretted is buying the normal ED8's then selling them at a loss to get the LE model but other than that I have no regrets.

Mar 23, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2,433 of 29,490
No, maybe a placebo effect due to it being more expensive but I noticed nothing different.

Quote:
Other than the materials on the outside, is there any difference worth the extra money in sound quality for the LE model?

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #2,434 of 29,490
Back again :p. Sorry but I've got 2 more questions. Firstly what is the best portable headphone for rock and classical, also with good isolation and doesn't leak and has good bass and is under £160?
Secondly, what would be the cheapest option to drive the AKG K701 properly as a desktop amp/ portable AMP? EDIT: Would a standard laptop be sufficient for the source as-well? EDIT 2: Ok the search function, that's useful. Would the FiiO E7 be fine as both a DAC source and an Amp for the AKG K701?

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #2,435 of 29,490
So I've had my 595s for about 18 months now, my first set of high end headphones.
About a month ago I went out and picked up the FiiO E7 & E9. I was caught between spending my cash on either a reasonable desktop amp or a great portable one, and I figured I listen to my music mostly when away from the computer, so I went with the combo option, and its been great.

However I'm starting to think about picking up a better/different pair of headphones than the 595s. Price limit is a maximum of $250, but if the quality jump is big enough I could push to $300
I listen to rock music mostly, and I guess I'd appreciate a pair of headphones that really brought out the sound of acoustic guitars. I also listen to a little trip-hop, so I could take a drop in certain areas for a better all-round set of cans.
I'll be using the E7/E9 as an amp

Any ideas?

EDIT: I also dont mind going second hand if it means a jump in quality too. I noticed I can get Senn. HD650s for that low, so its not an issue

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #2,436 of 29,490
Looking to get my first set of "serious" full headphones, and since I've got about 250 bucks in Sony credit, to use anywhere, I'm checking out the Sony SA5000's. However, after listening to my buddy's HD600s, with velour pads, I can't imagine having anything else on comfortably. Since the SA5000s come with leather pads, does anyone know of a place to get different pads for these?

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:55 PM Post #2,437 of 29,490
Hi guys,

Im looking to buy my first set of nice headphones. I got my Xonar D1 coming in sometime toward the end of this week so I want get me some nice headphones.

I guess I just want a headphone that is pretty well rounded as i dont have a specific taste in anything really :frowning2:...I generally listen to hip hop, heavy rock, punk rock. Also i want to be able to use it for playing pc games(nothing in particular) and the occasional movie every once in a while.

So finally, the budget..Im looking at spending around $90 so I was thinking either the hd555 or ath700...thoughts?
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #2,438 of 29,490
Hey guys I'm getting the hifiman ef2a usbdac/amp and was going to get the AKG K240MKII
ir
.  My main concern is that this is my first decent purchase on an audio setup.  I listen to music on my pc around 6-8 hours a day because write.  I listen to everything besides modern country, death metal, techno.  What I listen to includes world, classic blues, classic rock, radiohead, sigur ros, and obscure 60's&70's psych, doom, and rock-new wave as well.  Will these akg's compliment music or do you have other suggestions?  I game as well but music is more important.  My budget for can's is no more than 165$

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #2,439 of 29,490
So I've had my 595s for about 18 months now, my first set of high end headphones.
About a month ago I went out and picked up the FiiO E7 & E9. I was caught between spending my cash on either a reasonable desktop amp or a great portable one, and I figured I listen to my music mostly when away from the computer, so I went with the combo option, and its been great.

However I'm starting to think about picking up a better/different pair of headphones than the 595s. Price limit is a maximum of $250, but if the quality jump is big enough I could push to $300
I listen to rock music mostly, and I guess I'd appreciate a pair of headphones that really brought out the sound of acoustic guitars. I also listen to a little trip-hop, so I could take a drop in certain areas for a better all-round set of cans.
I'll be using the E7/E9 as an amp

Any ideas?

EDIT: I also dont mind going second hand if it means a jump in quality too. I noticed I can get Senn. HD650s for that low, so its not an issue

For you my friend I'd look into picking up an AKG K 701/702. They match very well with the E9 (one of the inexpensive amps that can actually drive the phones) and the DAC in the E7.
The K 701 is absolutely fantastic for acoustic guitars or any acoustic music really and you can find them for your price point new usually. I wish I could give a comparison, but I have not heard the 595s myself.

--

Hey guys I'm getting the hifiman ef2a usbdac/amp and was going to get the AKG K240MKII
ir
.  My main concern is that this is my first decent purchase on an audio setup.  I listen to music on my pc around 6-8 hours a day because write.  I listen to everything besides modern country, death metal, techno.  What I listen to includes world, classic blues, classic rock, radiohead, sigur ros, and obscure 60's&70's psych, doom, and rock-new wave as well.  Will these akg's compliment music or do you have other suggestions?  I game as well but music is more important.  My budget for can's is no more than 165$

Indeed I'd say the K 240 MKII is a nice match when well driven for your musical choice. It offers a nice clean bass (not as clean as a fully open can but its the sacrifice of having it more forward and present). They sound fantastic for rock, jazz, and even electronic/pop music.
What I'd suggest is looking at the used forum here too see what you can pick up for your price range. You can probably find some nice Beyerdynamic DT990 used for your price. Nice thing too about cycling through used gear is at least you can hear the phones and try them out, if you don't like them sell them for minimal loss (no loss in some cases). Also see if you have any vendors in the area to listen to the headphones. Many will have demo models and will happily let you bring in your amp and source to listen to them. It's all about what sounds good to your ears. :)

Mar 25, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #2,440 of 29,490

Hi,
I'm looking to buy my first headphones for listening on my iphone and on my computer.
I'm having an hard time choosing between Bose AE2, Sennheiser PX 360 or others Sennheiser headphones.
My budget is around 150€
Can you help me with my choice ?
Thanks by advance
Edit : I'm looking for circum-aural headphones

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:21 PM Post #2,441 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi,
I'm looking to buy my first headphones for listening on my iphone and on my computer.
I'm having an hard time choosing between Bose AE2, Sennheiser PX 360 or others Sennheiser headphones.
My budget is around 150€
Thanks by advance

Neither of the two you're looking at. What genres do you listen to?

Mar 25, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #2,443 of 29,490

Quote:

Hi,
My budget is around 150€
Thanks by advance

Completely random suggestion since you didn't give us much to work with: Sennheiser HD558

Quote:

Hi,
I listen to all kind of music but particularly : Electro/Dub/House/Trance/Reggae.
And portability is quite important, so the PX 360 is looking good, no ?
Thanks

For your genres, I like the M-Audio Q40. It's relatively cheap, portable, doesn't heat up too quickly, and has a deep rumbly bass. Also look into the Sony XB500 or 700.

The PX360 are still rather new, so not too many people have heard them.

Mar 26, 2011 at 12:19 AM Post #2,445 of 29,490
Hey guys.
I've been browsing tons of recommendation threads, but I still have zero true headphone experience myself. So, can several knowledgeable people recommend me a set of headphones?

High Priority:
I listen almost exclusively to kpop, R&B, hip hop, and some classical. I LOVE vocals.
My maximum budget is ~$80, and I need circumaural headphones that don't require amping (even though I listen to my iPod at the smallest volume possible).
They probably won't be used for more than 2 hours at a time, but I'd still like for them to be very comfortable for a medium sized head.
Most of my music is in a 128 kpbs MP3 format, so headphones that wouldn't punish me for a bad source are required.

Lesser Priority:
It's rather vain, but if those headphones looked nice, then I'd just love them even more.
A lively, "fun"-sounding pair of headphones would be quite nice too. I like to get into my music; a pair with "boring" sound would just take away from my listening experience.
I don't want too much sound leakage.

I don't mind if they're closed or open.
Thanks a lot :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back