++ FULL-SIZE HEADPHONE RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD++ CLOSED: Please post a thread in the Introductions, Help and Advice forum
Sep 18, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #7,261 of 29,488

xallarap

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Posts
113
Likes
20
Hello. I have the HD25. They are great however I find them lacking in the lower end even with the PA2V2. I am looking for something similar sound signature of the hd25 but a bit bassier as I listen mostly to rock and metal. Budget is ~$300. Currently, I am looking at the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and the Ultrasone Pro900/HFI580. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys!
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #7,262 of 29,488

baddychuck

New Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Posts
2
Likes
0
Hey people, 
 
My friend said he'll hand over his former Sennheiser 598 headphones to me, since he got his akg k701 last week. I checked it a bit and they really look exquisite and fantastic. Yet I usually listen music in my pathetic ipod mini. Are they even compatible? Even if they're, would it be an overkill or idiocity even to try them together?
Besides that, if they don't suit well, what should I get with a range of 100-200 dollars. I generally listen to jazz, bebop kind of stuff mostly in the street and I'd like to have an headphone that could give me goosebumps from the sound of horns.    
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #7,263 of 29,488

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Posts
2,280
Likes
103


Quote:
Hey people, 
 
My friend said he'll hand over his former Sennheiser 598 headphones to me, since he got his akg k701 last week. I checked it a bit and they really look exquisite and fantastic. Yet I usually listen music in my pathetic ipod mini. Are they even compatible? Even if they're, would it be an overkill or idiocity even to try them together?
Besides that, if they don't suit well, what should I get with a range of 100-200 dollars. I generally listen to jazz, bebop kind of stuff mostly in the street and I'd like to have an headphone that could give me goosebumps from the sound of horns.    


Buy a FiiO E11 to drive the HD598 with.
 
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #7,264 of 29,488

BotByte

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 14, 2010
Posts
2,280
Likes
103


Quote:
Hello. I have the HD25. They are great however I find them lacking in the lower end even with the PA2V2. I am looking for something similar sound signature of the hd25 but a bit bassier as I listen mostly to rock and metal. Budget is ~$300. Currently, I am looking at the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and the Ultrasone Pro900/HFI580. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys!



Bassy and rock doesn't work out.
 
Go for the Pro750 if you want to spend a little less. Or the Pro900. But make sure you get a amp for the Pro900. FiiO E11, E7, Ibasso D-zero or anything around that to drive them.
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #7,267 of 29,488

xallarap

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Posts
113
Likes
20


Quote:
Bassy and rock doesn't work out.
 
Go for the Pro750 if you want to spend a little less. Or the Pro900. But make sure you get a amp for the Pro900. FiiO E11, E7, Ibasso D-zero or anything around that to drive them.


Hmm yeah you're right with the bassy+rock. However, I would like a little more definition on the lower end of the sound spectrum. The HD25 does a good job but I feel that it lacks a little on the lows. Hmmm, I am  very interested with the Pro900 though it's very expensive. Do you think the PA2V2 will be enough to drive it?
 
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 1:22 PM Post #7,268 of 29,488

Dsnuts

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jun 20, 2011
Posts
13,633
Likes
17,912


Quote:
Hmm yeah you're right with the bassy+rock. However, I would like a little more definition on the lower end of the sound spectrum. The HD25 does a good job but I feel that it lacks a little on the lows. Hmmm, I am  very interested with the Pro900 though it's very expensive. Do you think the PA2V2 will be enough to drive it?
 


This sounds crazy but you want a great sounding bass heavy phone. It will not cost you $350 it only cost $30.. The Panasonic Rp- HTF600-S.. And contrary to what others might say. These are NOT a downgrade.. 
 
These have the Bass of the Sony XB500s.. Better big quality bass than just about any phone I own..Great clean sound big stage. Full bold and amazing. No body here at headfi knows about these except a hand full of guys.. Get whatever the other guys are suggesting.  And also throw down $30 for these.. You won't think I am so crazy after you try these. These easily trump phones that cost x8 more..
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #7,269 of 29,488

Armaegis

Modern Modder Man of Manitoba
HTML... uphill, both ways!
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Posts
12,328
Likes
1,244


Quote:
What an ideal Studio monitoring headphone? I assume the 7506/V6 are still the sub-$100 range standard, but I'm willing to try something different.


Sennheiser HD280pro
AKG K240/271
 
 


Quote:
i just checked the m50s are 30 dollars more but a problem with the 840s are my heads really big not so sure about the clamps


The 840 is quite large and should accommodate wide heads without problem.
 


Quote:
Can anyone tell me about a pair of headphones that are better then the sennheisers 598 but are at the same price?


Around the $200 mark... not necessarily better, just some options:
Audio Technica AD900
Beyerdynamic DT880pro
Denon D2000 (used)
Ultrasone HFi780
 


Quote:
Alright guys, lookin for some cans
-I need isolation as i take bus trips with my soccer team
-sub $200
-cord needs to be removable
-I play piano and write music for it as well, so needs good acoustic sound
-I listen to a wide variety of music but a lot of acoustic, alternative, and jazz.
-Added bonus of not being ugly :) 
 
If anyone can help, I much appreciate it, and will pay you with a shiny nickel. 
 


High isolation, removeable cord...
Shure SRH840
Sennheiser HD25-1-ii
 
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM Post #7,270 of 29,488

Armaegis

Modern Modder Man of Manitoba
HTML... uphill, both ways!
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Posts
12,328
Likes
1,244


Quote:
I was actually lookin for a full-size headphone...on ear are ok if they are much better than the other options. How are the AKG K272hd
 


They're ok, though personally I find the open K240 to sound better. Both want an amp though.
 


Quote:
Hello. I have the HD25. They are great however I find them lacking in the lower end even with the PA2V2. I am looking for something similar sound signature of the hd25 but a bit bassier as I listen mostly to rock and metal. Budget is ~$300. Currently, I am looking at the Beyerdynamic DT1350 and the Ultrasone Pro900/HFI580. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks guys!


The DT1350 actually doesn't have as much bass nor punch as the HD25, but it does have better subbass extension, though this is only really useful for electronic genres.
 
Are you ok with an open can? I'm thinking maybe the DT990 would be ok. Strong bass but fast decay, and strong high end for rock.
 


Quote:
Hey people, 
 
My friend said he'll hand over his former Sennheiser 598 headphones to me, since he got his akg k701 last week. I checked it a bit and they really look exquisite and fantastic. Yet I usually listen music in my pathetic ipod mini. Are they even compatible? Even if they're, would it be an overkill or idiocity even to try them together?
Besides that, if they don't suit well, what should I get with a range of 100-200 dollars. I generally listen to jazz, bebop kind of stuff mostly in the street and I'd like to have an headphone that could give me goosebumps from the sound of horns.    


Take the headphones, enjoy them, and listen for a while to learn how they sound. Then later plug them into a receiver and see if you notice a difference. Only then should you consider spending money on an amp.
 


Quote:
Best headphones (gaming) 5.1 without amp .. For 170$


Please check the first post of this thread for a link to a gaming headphone guide. There are plenty of very good suggestions there within your budget.
 
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 2:13 PM Post #7,272 of 29,488

Armaegis

Modern Modder Man of Manitoba
HTML... uphill, both ways!
Joined
Oct 18, 2009
Posts
12,328
Likes
1,244


Quote:
Hey, does anyone know anything about the new aka headphones...K550



There's this thread here... http://www.head-fi.org/t/553944/akg-k550-new/
 
although no really substantive reviews have come out yet.
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #7,273 of 29,488

evtron

New Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 1, 2011
Posts
45
Likes
10
Hey guys,
 
What I am looking for is my "daily driver". This pair of cans is going to be used 6+ hours a day so first and foremost they have to be comfortable. I don't mind knowing that they are there - but they have to be extremely comfortable with good durable pads that don't make my ears touch the driver. They have to do well with movies and have good full bodied sound from top to bottom so it really gets me immersed in the movie. They don't have to be a huge bass-cannon as dialogue is important to me however they need to have some good strong impact. Lastly the same is required for gaming. I don't really need positional audio that much as I don't play competitive FPS anymore but rather the type of games which require the same sound I need as in movies and let's me get lost in the ambient sounds and music and makes me feel like I'm in the game.
 
In the running are:
DT990 600ohm, DT880 600ohm, Hifiman HE-300, Ultrasone Hifi-2400
 
Budget really isn't an issue but obviously I don't want to put 6+ hours a day on a $700+ pair of headphones.
 
Just as of note headphones I already own = Audio-Technica ATH-AD2000, Custom Wood/Re-cabled Denon AH-D2000, Audio-Technica ATH-AD700/900.
 
Thanks!
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #7,274 of 29,488

xallarap

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 20, 2011
Posts
113
Likes
20


Quote:
The DT1350 actually doesn't have as much bass nor punch as the HD25, but it does have better subbass extension, though this is only really useful for electronic genres.
 
Are you ok with an open can? I'm thinking maybe the DT990 would be ok. Strong bass but fast decay, and strong high end for rock.
 


 
I am actually looking for a can for office use. I get crazy without music. 
tongue.gif
 However, there's a 8-month used, second hand pair in our local forum for around $190. Makes me think of getting it. 
biggrin.gif


Quote:
This sounds crazy but you want a great sounding bass heavy phone. It will not cost you $350 it only cost $30.. The Panasonic Rp- HTF600-S.. And contrary to what others might say. These are NOT a downgrade.. 
 
These have the Bass of the Sony XB500s.. Better big quality bass than just about any phone I own..Great clean sound big stage. Full bold and amazing. No body here at headfi knows about these except a hand full of guys.. Get whatever the other guys are suggesting.  And also throw down $30 for these.. You won't think I am so crazy after you try these. These easily trump phones that cost x8 more..


Thanks sir. Will consider it also. :)
 
Sep 18, 2011 at 10:58 PM Post #7,275 of 29,488

nibuoy

New Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 29, 2011
Posts
25
Likes
0
Hey,
I'm looking for a pair of portable headphones mostly used for music and movies.
I'll be listening to them on the go (subway, bus, etc) and at home, and want something i can throw into my bag.
I mostly listen to rock, alternative and rap, and have a budget of around 150$.
 
I've been thinking about the C jays. Thoughts?
Can you recommend something else in my price range?
 
Thanks
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top