full Hi Rez works for download now available
Feb 28, 2007 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

Riboge

500+ Head-Fier
There was a thread about the samples of such downloads available recently from http://www.highdeftapetransfers.net/cart.php . Now they have gone ahead and put up a number of full works one can buy for download. I just downloaded a recording of Rachmoninoff's Symphony No.2. It is some kind of magnificent to listen to! There's an introductory 15% off the $12 price for a while, so I recommend anyone interested to go for one or two.

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #4 of 48
The samples are pretty complete if you ask me !

http://01688cb.netsolhost.com/samplerdownload/
rs1smile.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 48
Lots of hiss in those recordings if you ask me

Mar 2, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lots of hiss in those recordings if you ask me

Maybe it's my aging ears, but I did not find myself attending to hiss. Could you say which sample in particular was hissy and perhaps where in it the hiss is most prominent. Maybe I'll learn something.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #9 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riboge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe it's my aging ears, but I did not find myself attending to hiss. Could you say which sample in particular was hissy and perhaps where in it the hiss is most prominent. Maybe I'll learn something.

All of them have hiss in them, but the first one in particular has a lot of hiss. Berlioz Symphony.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All of them have hiss in them, but the first one in particular has a lot of hiss. Berlioz Symphony.

This is very puzzling. I just listened again to the Berlioz at high volume and heard no hiss at all but rather a pretty black background. So that you can evaluate this: I play the flac file using foobar outputting 24bit under Windows Vista sent usb to a Stello 220mkII dac balanced on to a ss balanced amp just created by Singlepower feeding MDR-R10 headphones. I feel confident that were you to be listening to my system you would hear the same. Yet I realize that three people reported much hiss in this thread. I sure can't explain the discrepancy, but no way are the 5 or 6 of these hi rez recordings i have and have listened to over and over "very poor recordings from an old tape reel."

I grew up in audio listening to reel to reel tapes prerecorded and recorded by me, so I know what tape hiss sounds like. One suggestion is for you to try downloading the sample again and/or checking your equipment--not that I am saying i know the problem is at your end but just that I am stumped.

Mar 2, 2007 at 4:53 PM Post #12 of 48
The hiss is immediately obvious. Whether you concentrate on the hiss or on the music is another matter, but it's strange that anyone cannot hear it, esp. on a supposedly uber-revealing system.
confused.gif

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

I sure can't explain the discrepancy, but no way are the 5 or 6 of these hi rez recordings i have and have listened to over and over "very poor recordings from an old tape reel."

At times in the music the noise is 'wave-like' which would tell me the music is being read from a reel. I can see with some levels of hiss in classical music it is very slight and can be confused with hall noise, but in this instance it's very bad.

Mar 2, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #14 of 48
I am one of the few who also did not report the hiss. I was thinking that it was me that could not hear it. My W5000 are known to be very sensitive to hiss also and still did not here it. See my Sig for my output train using the USB Audiophile with my Lavry locked at 96 kHz using CrystalLock setting.

Quote:

This is very puzzling. I just listened again to the Berlioz at high volume and heard no hiss at all but rather a pretty black background. So that you can evaluate this: I play the flac file using foobar outputting 24bit under Windows Vista sent usb to a Stello 220mkII dac balanced on to a ss balanced amp just created by Singlepower feeding MDR-R10 headphones. I feel confident that were you to be listening to my system you would hear the same. Yet I realize that three people reported much hiss in this thread. I sure can't explain the discrepancy, but no way are the 5 or 6 of these hi rez recordings i have and have listened to over and over "very poor recordings from an old tape reel."

I grew up in audio listening to reel to reel tapes prerecorded and recorded by me, so I know what tape hiss sounds like. One suggestion is for you to try downloading the sample again and/or checking your equipment--not that I am saying i know the problem is at your end but just that I am stumped.

Mar 2, 2007 at 6:46 PM Post #15 of 48
Weird! Grasping at straws: Could it be that we are listening to 'different' files? I downloaded my samples over a week ago when they were first announced. If those who hear obvious hiss downloaded the samples as a result of this thread perhaps something has happened to the files for download in the mean time.

(little later) Nope! I downloaded the Berlioz sample just now and hear no hiss playing it. Anybody have any possible explanation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back