FS: Wadia CD player
Mar 2, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 8

spwal

500+ Head-Fier
I have a wadia 830 and love it. absolutely astounding player for the price. I just want to caution all the people that are drooling over this thing and going nuts contacting the guy....

It will likely be an expensive fix. My player had laser issues and I had it, at my own expense, shipped insured to Great Northern Sound for servicing. He upgraded the laser and added some insulation, but at a price i do not wish to mention...

Minimum work order at wadia in saline MI is $150 to put it on a table then you go from there...

Wadia has also been under financial duress of late and may be difficult to deal with (though customer support has been fairly prompt in answering my questions when the doors have been open).

I LOVE this player, it is excellent and will have a dramatic impact on your system as a whole. I caution you however that you need to live with wadia gremlins...

These typically run in the 1200-1400 dollar range (last time i checked) but if there are laser issues you will need to work on great northern sounds time and budget.

Weigh wisely,

Sean

Mar 3, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #3 of 8

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
I'll try to understand what's the problem and if it's not a big deal I'll get it .
I've been after a used 830 for a while , seems very close to the end-of-all source from descriptions and review around the web.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 8

Alwayswantmore

1000+ Head-Fier
I have an 830 and love it in many ways. Here is the original pricing:

The base 830 ran about $3000 new. There were three major upgrades available: Metal remote (remote for the 860) which ran about $500. And both digital inputs and analog inputs, allowing the 830 to serve as a line stage. An 830 with both sets of inputs ran about $4,000.

Wadia now offers an upgrade for the 830 that converts it to dual power supply (I think one for the DAC and other for the transport?). This mod runs about $500.

The Wadia has many features beyond great sound that make it a good value. I currently am driving headphones directly from the 830 (sold my Aria), and the sound is great. I also have a pair of 701s on order, and plan to reterminate them to run balanced from the 830 (have not yet tried this). Here is a link to a thread on the Wadia as a headamp.

Feel free to send a PM if you have questions.
free to send a PM if you have questions.

Mar 3, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 8

Alwayswantmore

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by spwal
I have a wadia 830 and love it. absolutely astounding player for the price. I just want to caution all the people that are drooling over this thing and going nuts contacting the guy....

It will likely be an expensive fix. My player had laser issues and I had it, at my own expense, shipped insured to Great Northern Sound for servicing. He upgraded the laser and added some insulation, but at a price i do not wish to mention...

Minimum work order at wadia in saline MI is $150 to put it on a table then you go from there...

Wadia has also been under financial duress of late and may be difficult to deal with (though customer support has been fairly prompt in answering my questions when the doors have been open).

I LOVE this player, it is excellent and will have a dramatic impact on your system as a whole. I caution you however that you need to live with wadia gremlins...

These typically run in the 1200-1400 dollar range (last time i checked) but if there are laser issues you will need to work on great northern sounds time and budget.

Weigh wisely,

Sean

Hi Sean, Wadia would not fix the 830? I called Wadia recently, and they told me the employees have bought out the investors so it is now an employee owned company. I do not know however what their financial position is.

Your words of caution help balance my enthusiasm for the 830, which is good.

Mar 4, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #7 of 8

SennFan

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by pawlowski6132
This guy won't return email.

I emailed him a few days ago asking him if was still available and he replied almost immediately that in fact IT WAS.

However, I sent him a follow up email asking him to elaborate on the problems with the unit so I could figure out if I'd be shelling out more $.

...He didn't respond at this point.

It's probably spent anyhow. If it could be fixed easily, I doubt the guy would put a high quality piece like that on Craigslist.

Very sketchy.

Users who are viewing this thread