FS: ThinkPad X200-AFFS, needs a free repair in service. Price lowered: from $600+shipping worldwide
Sep 10, 2009 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

penartur

500+ Head-Fier
BEWARE: this offer is only for buyers in the countries listed on Lenovo Support & downloads - International warranty results (US included)

For sale is portable laptop Lenovo ThinkPad X200 with gorgeous custom AFFS screen (you can read about the screen on Pictures of X200AFFS-X200 equipped with Flexview screen - Notebook Forums and Laptop Discussion ). It is a light years away than netbooks; small on size but powerful on features - 12" 1.1kg chassis houses powerful Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz CPU and GMA X4500HD (from what i have heard, it will even run Crysis on some settings). However, this doesn't interfere with the battery life - it works up to a 3.3 hours from 4-cell battery (total weight 2.98lb/1.35kg), 6.5 hours from 6-cell one (3.26lb/1.48kg) and 9.8 hours from 9-cell one (3.61b/1.64kg).
In a package as small as much of the netbooks around you're getting a respectable battery life (more than many netbooks could hope) and hardware maybe even powerful than your desktop PC.
You can read the review of Lenovo ThinkPad X200 Review ; keep in mind that my x200 have screen replaced by an experienced technician, so now it comes with a custom AFFS screen, best of everything you can find in <15" laptops released in a last years. Other laptops' TN screens just sucks and screens of tablet laptops are covered by a touch-sensitive glass, which reduces screen quality dramatically.
Unfortunately, such a screen, after touch-sensitive glass is taken out, becomes extremely sensitive for an any external influence, so i've put a japanese protective film on it; as you can see from the photos i've attached, it doesn't reduce neither contrast nor brightness or viewing angles of the screen. Brightness is great, contrast and color colour rendition are excellent and it can be viewed virtually from any angle (compare that to usual laptop
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Unfortunaly, a week ago my laptop have died. Unfortunately, this specific model is not supported in Russia (see the link in the first line), so the warranty is not valid here.
I've come to the authorized lenovo service, left my laptop on a paid diagnostics and on the tuesday i've got the result. They've said that motherboard was defective and needs replacement (that've already happened with one of R61s we're using at work); and that replacement will cost me about US$3000 (as they've said, they'd did it for free, if only Russia were in the list).
So, i'm currently have the dead laptop and the repair price is more than two new laptops would cost. It seems that the only way not to lost all the money invested in it (that's about $1300 + time for searching a skilled technician through my friends, for searching a tablet with a suitable screen and for selling that tablet for cheap with a crappy original X200 screen) is to someway got it into one of the countries where the warranty is valid and where it will be fixed for free.
One of the choices i've invented is to sell it to someone who lives in such a country. If someone dreams of this laptop, he or she can get it a lot cheaper than in other place, but will be forced to come to service and ask for repair.
So here is the summary: [size=small]This beautiful laptop is dead, but in your country it will be fixed for free under the warranty[/size].
1 year warranty is valid until october 19th; so my offer is valid until october 1st, if nobody would be interested in it to that date, i'll try to negotiate with US support so i will mail them a laptop and will receive it back fixed.
If you're from US or one of the countries listed on Lenovo Support & downloads - Warranty upgrades and maintenance service, then you can prolong the warranty for 2 years for $139.
If service will reject to fix the laptop for free for some reason i'm responsible for (e.g. if they'll reject the warranty because the screen was upgraded; but not if you will come to them after october 19th), i will refund a full price you've paid (however, you will need to send the laptop back to me). That is your protection, so you can be sure that in the end you will get a working laptop or moneyback. Of course, you're responsible for taking some written confirmation for such a refusal in service center.

And what about the price. Currently i'm thinking about $800 plus shipping (that is about $100 for EMS and about $150 for DHL, FedEx and UPS if you're from U.S.), but it is discussable.
UPD: Also i will sell it for $600 (plus shipping), but in such a case i will not guarantee that it will be fixed - see the last post. That is more than two times cheaper than you can get a working used one.
Keep in mind that such a laptop with the similar configuration currently retails for $1129 on lenovo.com (see Elite ThinkPad X200 with integrated graphics), and mine is equipped with the great AFFS screen (i have invested about $300 and much of time to get it on my X200).
I will include in package everything that came with laptop, including various papers/cds and an original box.
Laptop is in excellent cosmetic condition (nothing can leave a mark on this thinkpad, really) and hardware was in excellent condition until a moment it died.
Original 4-cell battery was replaced with a replacement (not original) 6-cell with a capacity somewhere between original 4-cell and original 6-cell (so it should hold a charge for an about 5 hours in battery performance mode).
Attached are all the photos of actual laptop i've made while it was still alive.

Payment is to be made through paypal to provide all the required protection for you (and for me as well
smily_headphones1.gif
), i don't have a paypal account such that it can receive money (nobody in russia does, the "receive money" feature is blocked for russian users), however, some of my friends live in other countries and i hope someone does have such an account.

PS: That is my first attempt to sell something outside of my own city, so please, don't judge it too hard
smily_headphones1.gif
any questions are welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, you can see my ebay buyer feedback on eBay Feedback Profile for penartur ; and my head-fi feedback on http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f12/penartur-382201/

PPS: Please, forgive me my terrible english...

PPPS: Oh, it seems that i've completely forgot to post you the exact specs.
So, type number is 7454-2GU, serial number is LV-003LM, and the specs is as written there: Lenovo 74542GU Specifications - 7454 Lightweight Notebook, Notebook, Amazon.com: TOPSELLER X200 P8600 74542GU 12.1-Inch Laptop: Computer & Accessories
Installed is genuine Windows Vista Business; and from what i have heard you can downgrade it to a genuine XP Professional.

PPPPS: And what about sound quality
biggrin.gif
- unexpectedly, it sounds really great from HP out, at least for electronic music it is definitely better than HP out of my Ipod Video (5th gen).

Sep 15, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #5 of 16

NoPants

1000+ Head-Fier
tough call for secondhand broken computer with expensive shipping. it's close to the price you quote for a new model, and buying a new model wouldn't include the turnaround for repairs and shipping from moscow. I think you should adjust your price in light of this to draw more prospectives.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 16

penartur

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

it's close to the price you quote for a new model, and buying a new model wouldn't include the turnaround for repairs and shipping from moscow.

I've said about $900 including shipping (EMS to US), price for new model is $1129, and it doesn't have that awesome screen my laptop has (if you will add the screen price and install price, you will get near to $1400).
However, price is discussable, if anybody wants to purchase this laptop and thinks that it is too overpriced, they can do their offer (if it is more than $5 :grin: ).
The problem is that it seems that nobody is interested at all. I've posted a similar message on some of our local boards (i have succesfully sold my previous laptops there), and the only offer i've got in a week was "well, i'd possibly purchase that for $100". I can get more than $100 even for HDD, RAM and wireless card it contains
frown.gif

Sep 19, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #10 of 16

penartur

500+ Head-Fier
I can sell it for parts locally.
This offer is for someone who will actually gave it to the service and will receive it back fixed.
Why're you not going to repair it? It is free, and, according to my previous experience with lenovo, it should be relatively easy; but in the end, you will get not parts but great working laptop.
What is the point of purchasing for parts laptop that can be easily fixed for free?

Sep 21, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 16

shawn_low

500+ Head-Fier
Why don't you get someone in the US or a 'warranty country' to help you fix it and offer them a fee to do it.

Send it to that person, pay for shipping to/from Moscow. And for their time. Just a suggestion?

Sep 22, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #13 of 16

penartur

500+ Head-Fier
Unfortunately, i don't have such friends, and there is too many variables in this way. Also, i've already get myself another laptop, so i'll be selling this one anyway.

BTW, i've just found that there are services in moscow where an IBM motherboard with such a problem can be repaired (not replaced) for $200-$250. So it is not such a tragedy if i will not be able to sell it broken; and it is definitely less of headache for me to use such a service compared to finding a familiar person in US, sending the laptop there, then getting it back etc. I don't know now if selling defective laptop on this forums with paypal makes sense anymore; anyway, if nobody will buy it until october 1st, i'll just take it to the service, pay this $250 and then sell it locally as working.

Sep 22, 2009 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 16

shawn_low

500+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by penartur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know now if selling defective laptop on this forums with paypal makes sense anymore; anyway, if nobody will buy it until october 1st, i'll just take it to the service, pay this $250 and then sell it locally as working.

I think this is your best option.

Users who are viewing this thread