FS: Melos MAX3R DAC
Dec 10, 2008 at 9:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

larryminator

1000+ Head-Fier
Hello,

Need to sell some audio stuff... This DAC has to go
frown.gif

This is a rare Melos MAX3R DAC in excellent condition (9/10 Audiogon scale) based on 2 6922 tubes. This is the R version since it has been upgraded by the Melos Audio Restoration group when they still existed.

The sound is wonderful. Very detailed with a tight bass. I was using it with my Melos SHA-Gold and Grado HP or PS-1 or vintage RS-1 headphone and this DAC was the best source I tried, ever. Only selling to get some money back, as I might buy a house in March 2009 and need the money.

I've seen only another one for sale in my whole life and there's not much review about it on the Internet, but knowing the Melos company, you know you get the best sound/$.

And maybe you've heard/experience Melos reputation as of lemon audio component and difficulty to repair, but this piece is solid and I've had no problem with it since the beginning (1 year ago). I'm the second owner, and the first owner didn't had any problems either. Problems are knowed with Melos big monoblocks (which I have and got problems with them
frown.gif
). I also had a Maestro pre-amp and never had trouble with it.

This is a collection item for the Grado lover and Melos lover since this is part of the best combo you can get. You can use the integrated volume pot, or you can simply activate a swtich to bypass it. Comes with external power supply. Coxaxial and BNC input only (no optical).

Face plate is mint. No scratch on top, bottom, sides and back. You won't find one in better condition, if you can find another one
biggrin.gif

That's pretty much it. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me by PM.

Payment by Paypal, Money Order or Bank Transfer. Will ship to USA or Canada for the moment (Canada Post doesn't offer tracking number or insurance for worldwide shipment of the size
frown.gif
, could ship UPS/FedEx if needed). Local pick-up accepted. Can make some deals with Canadian friends.

Asking 1200$US Shipped and Paypaled for this DAC. I don't remember the MSRP but it was more than 4000$US.

Here are the pictures for your delight:

P1013919.jpg

P1013915.jpg

P1013906.jpg

P1013913.jpg

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #10 of 21

Icarium

Headphoneus Supremus
Nice. Do you know what this DAC uses chip wise? Might be interesting if its something I like
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:40 AM Post #13 of 21

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice. Do you know what this DAC uses chip wise? Might be interesting if its something I like
smily_headphones1.gif

Would like to know as well, couldn't really dig up any info on the web. Is it oversampling? Non-oversampling?

Dec 31, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #14 of 21

larryminator

1000+ Head-Fier
Quote:

Originally Posted by doobooloo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would like to know as well, couldn't really dig up any info on the web. Is it oversampling? Non-oversampling?

I don't even know
frown.gif

I don't know which chip it uses.

Will check this out tonight and post some pictures if I get the time.

Users who are viewing this thread