FS: Head-Direct EF-1 110V (SOLD)
Sep 15, 2009 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

somestranger26

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm selling my EF-1 to seek future upgrades. The PSU and Amp are fairly new (about 2 months old) as they were warranty replacements. Most/all nicks/tiny scratches on the exterior were there originally when I got the amplifier. (and the other two I had were similar in this regard) You can't really see them in person unless you're looking extremely close, yay for macro mode... I'm asking $250 shipped Con.US (USPS Priority Mail = 2-3 days w/ tracking), no PP fees as long as you're sending the payment as a gift. I am willing to ship international, but you're paying the difference, and this is 110V. If you live nearby (Orange County, CA) and could arrange a meetup/dropoff/pickup shipping costs can be eliminated. I will include both the stock CONN/Sylvania tube which has seen only a few hours of use, as well as a Mullard long plate which tested at ~93% of a new tube at purchase time 6 months ago and has seen extensive (several hundred hours) use, though it should still have a long life ahead of it since these tubes are rated for thousands of hours. It should still have a long life ahead of it since these tubes are rated for several thousand hours. Now it's picture time! More pictures may be added at request.

The front.

The back.

"Overhead" view. Installed is a brand new OP275. I'll also include the original OP275, the socket I needed to add to it to use it, and a second new OP275. (OP275 = the opamp it comes with)

The bottom, showing the manufacture date for what it's worth.

The power supply, which is 110V.

The stock CONN/Sylvania tube.

The Mullard long plate tube (one of the best you can buy, ~$30 for a decent used one and go up to $50-100 for NOS).

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #3 of 12

slbowing

New Head-Fier
Very nice looking. I saw a review on here saying that this thing paired well with low impedance headphones. How did it pair with your 900's? I need something to power my 750's?

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 12

somestranger26

1000+ Head-Fier
It works pretty well with the 900s. The bass is nice and rich, detailed and extended. The treble sings with the Mullard tube, and it also balances the midrange with the rest of the sound spectrum and adds a bit of lushness to vocals. Pretty good soundstage, though upgrading my source seemed to have a much, much larger effect on the soundstage than the amp. Though I'm not sure how much this would hold true for the 750s which are very different beasts FWIR. Shipping to you (within California) should be a bit cheaper than my estimate as well.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 12

slbowing

New Head-Fier
My only issue is that I am going away to college in a few days and thus my source unit will be my laptop
frown.gif
. I also need to buy a DAC and in this case it will have to be run from usb which takes away from some of the sound quality. So I am in a jam, I want good sound and I am not sure how well my laptop + DAC will do but this amp does seem to pair well with low impedance phones which is what my 750's are. I am interested but just not sure what kind of situation I am getting myself into

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:43 AM Post #6 of 12

somestranger26

1000+ Head-Fier
I find the EF-1 somewhat tolerant of the source (have ran it from Eee 1000H and Zune 80), but it seems to scale VERY WELL with a better one. As far as being stuck with USB... I notice no difference between USB and optical on the DAC-19MK3. I think it's all about the quality of implementation.

Sep 15, 2009 at 2:53 AM Post #7 of 12

slbowing

New Head-Fier
However nice this thing is, I'm going to have to wait till at least Christmas. I will be a starving college student in a few days so I will have to wait on an amp till then. This is a great deal but timing is the issue right now.

Free Bump

Users who are viewing this thread