USD
Price
Shipping Destinations
  1. North America
Mar 18, 2020 at 4:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Svstem

Formerly known as Clockwise
Head-Fier
The Fostex T50v0 is the original revision of the world's first planar magnetic headphone – the Fostex T50. The original T50 is extremely rare, and this revision, only produced from 1974 to 1976 in Japan, is even more scarce. Note that it shares absolutely nothing in common with the modern T50RP, which uses a square 30 mm diaphragm – this is a proper planar design, with a circular 70 mm diaphragm that performs at a higher level than its modern studio-oriented counterpart.

The headphones are in great condition for their age. Apart from slight fraying of the braided cable near the Y split and corrosion of the strain relief, they have been incredibly well-maintained in 45 years. They sound and look very good, and are pretty much unobtainium.

Asking $old.
Photos
: https://imgur.com/a/UhoQQ2B

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 5

Svstem

Formerly known as Clockwise
Head-Fier
I'd say it's flat from the sub-bass roughly all the way up to 1-2 kHz, then dips after that - the signature is warm and reminiscent of Audeze LCD headphones with a tad more upper midrange.

Technically speaking, I'd say this definitely beats entry-level planars like the HE-400i and T50RP, and is roughly on par with modern mid-fi planars. It has a sweetness to to the timbre that's common with many vintage orthos, but it's not very airy - something that's due to the minuscule earpad opening. Higher end modern planars like the HE-6 will edge it out in terms of detail and resolution, but I still find it super enjoyable to listen to.

The T50v0 is very special for the historic value. Being the first ever planar magnetic to exist, and a competent one even by today's standards, it's a very interesting piece for those of us who are into collecting.

Users who are viewing this thread