FS: Cadbury Mk II tube amp
post-158703
Post #1 of 2

Possum

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
The same Mapletree Audio Design Cadbury Mk II tube amp you see here:

http://hollowstate.netfirms.com/proto.htm

It uses the same circuit to be used in the MAD Ear 4 kit.

Here's Lloyd Peppard's (the designer's) the description from the the eBay auction where he sold the amp:

"From time-to-time, Dr. Lloyd Peppard, of Mapletree Audio Design, creates a unique one-off tube audio component. Such is the "Cadbury" Mk II headphone amplifier, built into a purple metal Cadbury chocolate cookie tin. The amplifier includes an integral power supply with a detachable ac line cord. The top panel, finished in gold hammered finish, provides access to a volume control, blend control, stereo headphone output jack, and gold-plated RCA line input and output jacks. The line input is normally connected to the line output of a portable or component-style CD player, tape deck, computer sound card, etc. The line output can be used as a line preamp output to a separate power amplifier. The circuit configuration for each channel consists of half a 12AX7 (or 5751) voltage amplifier stage directly coupled to a 12B4A cathode-follower output stage driving an output transformer in parafeed mode. The amplifier is best suited to headphones with an impedance or 100 Ohms or less and a sensitivity of 97 dB/1mW or more. The tubes are visible from the top panel of the chassis and can be removed without disassembly. IERC tube cooler/shields are included for the 12B4As and a bayonet shield is used on the 12AX7/5751. The tubes supplied are N. American made NOS types."

The description says the amp is best for low impedence headphones, but Lloyd and I found that it sounded decent with Sennheiser HD580/600's.

The red button on the original one popped out (its spring-loaded), so I bought an almost identical one and replaced the switch. Everything else is the same as when Lloyd shipped it to me.

Asking $180 shipped to anywhere in the US.

Since I'm leaving for Europe on Tuesday for 3 weeks, decisions to buy must be made by Monday morning so I can ship the amp out on Monday afternoon at the latest. I accept PayPal for immediate payment, or trusted members and those with sufficient feedback can send payment and I'll ship out the amp before the payment arrives. PM or e-mail me.

post-169193
Post #2 of 2

Possum

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Just got back from a long trip to Europe - small price drop.

EDIT: New price is $180 shipped to the USA.

bump

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)