Frustrated with the noise cancelling headphone market

Page 1 of 2
Next

Last
  1. VocaloidDude
    Being a nerd, I find things which most people wouldn't find troubling very troubling. The Sony and Bose headphones that I see have several major problems.

Sony WH-1000XM2 & Bose QC 35: They are only bluetooth. How am I supposed to play them on my Fiio x5 ii?

Bose QC 25: The QC 25 is wired, but it takes AAA batteries, and they burn out every 30 hours :astonished:

It would be nice if the Sony WH-1000XM2 or Bose QC 35 had a wired option for non bluetooth audio devices, with the option for batteries if I need them if the charge runs out.

Is there no compromise in the noise cancelling headphone market? I have wanted to have noise cancelling headphones to drown out the intolerable humming of the bus I take on my way to school, and the droning of the chattering girls who sit around 30 minutes before class starts whose inane conversations make my brain hurt.

2. Seyley
    Custom in ear monitors surely?

3. VocaloidDude
    Would these cancel the noise of a loud bus?

4. dubbzy104
    The WH-1000XM2 (and XM3) and Bose QC 35 both have Aux inputs. The Bowers & Wilkins PX are bluetooth wireless, aux input, and also can play audio through USB (to USB-C in the headphones). There may be other noise cancelling headphones that are wired, but these are the ones I've looked at.

Also, the Sony's and B&W PX definitely come with an included male-male aux cable (along with a USB A to USB C charging cable, although the Sony WH-1000xm3's is only like 6 inches long). I haven't owned the Bose, so I'm not sure there

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    VocaloidDude likes this.
  5. jant71
    Isn't it just as easy or easier to have a power bank. It is a battery after all. If you carry batteries or have to stop and buy them and then open up and pop in then why not just be charging while in class with the power bank.

Not sure if the Sony does but something like this has wired and wireless NC...
    https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/headphones/c4ca191ebf334d8f/index.html

VocaloidDude likes this.
  6. VocaloidDude
    Which do you prefer, the B&W or the Sony? The B&W is prettier but more expensive, trying to see if it's justified to get that one over the Sony.

7. dubbzy104
    I prefer the Sony (I have the WH-1000XM3). The PX sound better with no ANC (or on the lowest level), but lose a lot of quality on ANC levels 2 and 3. If you just need to block out voices, ANC level 1 (the lowest) will be fine. The Sony's sound great at all ANC, and I keep them on the highest level, blocking out all voices and 95% of the rumble from the bus. The Sony's are also WAY WAY more comfortable. I'm going to be returning the PX. If you get an opportunity, I recommend going to your favorite audio/tech store (I went to best buy) and try out the store models, and maybe buy a pair (if they have a decent return policy)

VocaloidDude likes this.
  8. VocaloidDude
    I'll go with the Sony then.

9. jant71
    ^Absolutely right, try out first if you can or use somewhere with a solid return policy. :)

10. dubbzy104
    One caveat: The XM3's may be hard to find in stock; they are a pretty hot commodity. But you shouldn't have to wait more than a week or two.

11. SilverEars
    Customs or deep insertion iems (like the Etymotics) with triple flange tips will isolate to comparable level and also high frequencies (ANC cancels the low-end noise only). This is if you are the type to tolerate stuff inserted to your ears.

12. VocaloidDude
    There's seller referbished ones on ebay for 180 dollars, with high seller ratings, and a 90 day return policy. I always buy headphones at discounts, I like to save money.

13. dubbzy104
    If it's just the headphones, you'll obviously have to get your own charging cable and aux cord, but they can be found pretty easily. Or share with any other USB C devices you have.

VocaloidDude likes this.
  14. VocaloidDude
    It's not just the headphones, it comes with all the accessories. At least that's what it says in the description, and it usually does.

15. Seyley
    To respond to your query about CIEMs, yes they do cancel out the noise very effectively. To be honest, the more you spend on them the better they sound compared to the lower tier of CIEMs you may consider....

Page 1 of 2
Next

Last