Frustrated and Desperate: An Amp/Dac for the Grado 325is / 325i up to $400
Sep 16, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #31 of 38
It will bypass the internal DAC, so it should sound the same. If I had a Mac I would have a Duet.

Sep 16, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by f00fighters /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally, Guitar Center actually has something useful, I can demo. They have the apogee duet set up on mac in store. I'm going to head over there in a few minutes, take my wife's macbook pro, my 325is's, my ra1, and have a field day with that sucker. I will also put some lossless music on a thumb drive.

awesome, let us know how it goes. IIRC, the amp on the Duet ain't bad either.
wink.gif

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #33 of 38
FooFighters - I really think you should try one of the RSA Amps - P51 or SR71A - if you can get your hands on them. For me the RSA sound is really "dry" and paired with SR325i I get those details and crispness. Just a thought - if you can find one you can try out.

Sep 16, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #34 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...if you can get your hands on them....

aah yes... that would fulfill all of my curiosities if only. LOL.

I'm in the process of organizing a meet. It will be my first meet organized and attended. I'm trying to see if I can get the Florida audiophiles together so we can sample of these heavenly combinations.

Sep 16, 2009 at 8:04 PM Post #35 of 38
I would love to make myself a local vendor to the Orlando area, and have everything set up to demo, satisfying the needs of the audiophile community in my area. However, I couldn't very well go into a business that I didn't think was lucrative. Unfortunately, the headphone audiophile demographic is such a niche market. And the Florida following seems to be relatively small.

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comfy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't be frustrated or desperate at all, having that budget and a Mac.

Get an Apogee Duet and call it a day.

Do I have to remind you of the importance of a good source? Good.
Also, the slightly analogue-sound of the Duet should be a very nice combination with the slightly shrill SR-325i.
The Duet integrates perfectly with the Mac, and you can always get a dedicated amp in the future. But with the Grados you won't need one. Do some research, check it out.

I'd like to thank comy for his wonderful suggestion of the apogee duet. It sounded amazing. I gave my impression in this thread

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/apo...0/#post6017212

I still want the RS1i. If I can get it a good price, that will be my next purchase. If not, then it will be the duet. I was very happy with the sound. And it has great potential as a dac for a future headphone amp. I imagine the RS1i and apogee duet to be heavenly.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:18 AM Post #38 of 38
Although not with the 325i, I spent some time with the new portable Pete Millet amp from TTVJ and the HF2 and 225, and found it to be a great match. I think with the dac it runs around $450, though, but I'm seriously considering getting one, not only due to how it sounds with my headphones, but the really slim size fits perfectly under an ipod touch, making it a great on-the-go set up when I want, and not bulky at all. It's something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back