frontpanelexpress
Feb 22, 2006 at 12:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mikeblas

New Head-Fier
I'm thinking of making nice panels for my amp at FrontPanelExpress.com.

Does anyone have tips for success with those folks?

In particular, I wonder about what lettering size and font to use so it'll look nice. I was thinking of white-filled letters on a black annodized aluminum panel.

Feb 22, 2006 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy
I chose natural, non-painted letters with black anodized. I'm quite happy with the result. I don't remember the font size, but I could dig up the file if you're really curious.

That looks great! So that's just the unanodized metal showing through the engraving?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juergen
You can also print out your panel design to scale so you can get a good feel for its' size.

Do you find that this is an accurate representation of the lettering? When I print, the font stroke seems impossibly thin. I'm using the default tool in the font dialog (which I think is an 0.6mm engraver, if I remember correctly).

Did you find it to be accruate?

Feb 22, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeblas
Do you find that this is an accurate representation of the lettering? When I print, the font stroke seems impossibly thin. I'm using the default tool in the font dialog (which I think is an 0.6mm engraver, if I remember correctly).

Did you find it to be accruate?

DSC01049a.jpg

The engraving tool I used was .2mm for everything except the letters 'PPA' which used .6mm. The only place where I can tell a slight difference is in the logo at the bottom. The left half of the logo is actually an outline. If you look real close to the actual panel you can see it. In the printout it appears solid. Overall I would call it fairly accurate. Another tip that I got from someone was to use the .6mm tool on the 'PPA' letters. Supposedly if I used the .2mm for that it wouldn't completely remove all of the material resulting in fine parallel lines.

Feb 22, 2006 at 2:06 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeblas
That looks great! So that's just the unanodized metal showing through the engraving?

Yes.

I also did a print-out of the panel to check both fonts and the overall look. I think it was pretty accurate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back