From hd650 to AKG Q701 to HIFIMan 500 ?
Jan 4, 2013 at 9:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ematthews

100+ Head-Fier
So in my short journey here trying to find MY headphone type I started with both the Beyer DT880 an the Senn hd650. I ended up liking the Beyers a little better but it lacked a lot of bass and the ear cups were on the small size to me. I ended up keeping the Senn's. SO today I got my AKG Q701 to test out. Wow...It is super clear. Really nice. The treble is a bit bright to me which seems to add some harshness to the sound. Bass isn't bad but could be better.... Not sure these are the ones for me..

By the way.. Most of my listening music has been Dream Theater... This Prog group gives you many different sounds and enough change to really get a good test... So my next consideration is the Hifiman 500.
 Anyone think this would hit my sweet spot of clarity in the AKG'S and bass like the Senn... I do know I like my mids a little less forward as well.
Thoughts?

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #2 of 4
Orthodynamic, like the HE 500, certainly sounds like a good place to explore.  

Jan 4, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #4 of 4
Cool. I changed my music source to some dreamy acoustic guitar work {Lanterna} and that brings the Q701's to life...These are a specific type of music phone to me. Not sure I would keep them if I only kept prog rock in my cd player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back