From Grado SR125 to Grado SR225, a significant upgrade?
Sep 15, 2009 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

adiZero

100+ Head-Fier
I have become a fan of the Grado sound, currently using the SR125. As stated I enjoy them, but I notice people saying they are the weak point in the grado product line. I actually like them, but it may sometimes be a little too bright.

I have read a lot of good things about the SR225. How would you compare the SR125 & SR225 and would it be considered an upgrade? Or would the SR325 be the way to go?

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:28 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by adiZero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have become a fan of the Grado sound, currently using the SR125. As stated I enjoy them, but I notice people saying they are the weak point in the grado product line. I actually like them, but it may sometimes be a little too bright.

I have read a lot of good things about the SR225. How would you compare the SR125 & SR225 and would it be considered an upgrade? Or would the SR325 be the way to go?

Small differences become greatly exaggerated on here. Save your money. It's not an upgrade as much as it's different and expensive.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 12
Nope, don't do it. Such an incremental upgrade is not worth the $100 or even $50 (forgot the price diff). Here's a little secret... buy some new, more open mesh and install it in place of the old mesh. Now put a dot of BluTak on the back of both drivers. If they didn't come with them, buy bowl pads. By all accounts, you have a product that is on-par with the SR225. If you really want to go nuts you can even upgrade the cable.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #5 of 12
hello from a fellow enjoyer of Senn HD 25-1 II /HD 650 cable.

I think you will enjoy moving up in the grado line just as so many of us have. If you are willing to purchase used, you can use the headfi market place almost as a lending library, in that you can get your money back out of trying a set of cans by reselling them.

I think you'll find a very decent amount of difference in the 225's and the 125's. There certainly was in the pre-"i" incarnations. I do not suggest going to the 325 in the non-i. I did and though I appreciated them, I found them a bit intense in the highs. I never found that in sr60's 225's rs1's ps1's gs1000's or my new rs1i's. of course there are others who love them more than other grados. different strokes and all that. but by all means if you are loving the grado house sound, move up and enjoy!

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:48 PM Post #6 of 12
Looking at your headphone cache, you've got some nice phones, and I would suggest not using any $$ to "upgrade" to SR225, but investing in a nice IEM. The $99 RE0 is a great phone, it's only "drawback" is accurate but not boomy bass.

I upgraded from the SR80 to the MS-1i (a "refined" SR125), and sound-wise, it was definitely staying in the same family, just moving over to a slightly more detailed cousin.

I would suggest using your money to expand your sonic family.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #7 of 12
I thought there was a common understanding that the SR225 > SR 125 (yes, I know the price difference but still)

I could actually sell my SR125 in local market and buy a SR225 used through the sales forum for the same price. Grados are way overpriced over here.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at your headphone cache, you've got some nice phones, and I would suggest not using any $$ to "upgrade" to SR225, but investing in a nice IEM. The $99 RE0 is a great phone, it's only "drawback" is accurate but not boomy bass.

I upgraded from the SR80 to the MS-1i (a "refined" SR125), and sound-wise, it was definitely staying in the same family, just moving over to a slightly more detailed cousin.

I would suggest using your money to expand your sonic family.

I actually just ordered my first pair of IEM's. The Etymotic ER-4S used for a nice price
wink_face.gif
. Maybe it's just time to relax and listen to some music
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 12
One of the clear differences between the SR125i and the SR225i that I experienced was the treble on the SR225i was more refined. Sounds came across as more focused, or "tighter" if thats a way to describe it. I felt there was a solid difference, however I have not yet heard the SR335i, so I can't suggest if its worth it to skip the SR225i. I felt the SR225i is a good pick for someone who like Grado. I wouldn't hesitate to own one in the right conditions.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #11 of 12
I was previously an owner of the SR-125 and SR-225. I felt that the upgrade was marginal, although the SR-225 bettered its "lesser" brother in most cases. It was only after upgrading to the SR-325is that I saw a major improvement. The SR-225 lacked the punch and clarity of the SR-325is, which will likely be my final Grado unless I score an HF-2 or relatively inexpensive RS-1i at some lucky point. (Mind you, I'm pretty sure that my SR-225's were pretty old and may have sounded worse for wear, as what I was hearing generally did not gel with popular opinion about the SR-225 being one of Grado's "sweet spots".)

Sep 15, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was previously an owner of the SR-125 and SR-225. I felt that the upgrade was marginal, although the SR-225 bettered its "lesser" brother in most cases. It was only after upgrading to the SR-325is that I saw a major improvement. The SR-225 lacked the punch and clarity of the SR-325is, which will likely be my final Grado unless I score an HF-2 or relatively inexpensive RS-1i at some lucky point. (Mind you, I'm pretty sure that my SR-225's were pretty old and may have sounded worse for wear, as what I was hearing generally did not gel with popular opinion about the SR-225 being one of Grado's "sweet spots".)

True that. A lot of people say that the SR325is is too grating or bright or something like that. I'm with you in saying that they are a very large upgrade from the SR225. I don't consider myself to have particularly good ears and the SR325is blew my 225i out of the water. I think the moral of the story here is, audition for yourself!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back