From Fiio E5 to PA2V2: is the upgrade worth it?
Nov 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

loganirado

100+ Head-Fier
Hello guys. I'm wondering whatever I should spend some money on a PA2V2 amp? Will I benefit from it, or should I save my money and purchase some iBasso amp later? Has any user actually experienced both amps by any chance?

I'm using ATH AD700's for now, but I'm planing to acquire a pair od DT770's very soon..

Nov 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM Post #2 of 22
The PA2V2 is a big step up from the E5. I own both. The PA2V2 is capable of getting much much louder and has a ridiculous battery life per charge. I still want to get an XM6 someday though.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 22
Thanks jasonb! So, the only improvement from Fiio to PA2V2 is the possibility to listen to music in higher volumes? There is no difference in clarity and other aspects?

I may be a little weird, but I can't stand listening to music in high volumes.. I have a cowon X5 and I only use it at volume 1, I don't even use the Fiio amp because it's volume control sucks, and the sound gets too loud for me or I don't get any sound at all..

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 22
not sure why you think you need an amp then.

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 22

they are mainly to increase volume. if the volume is loud enough straight out of your music player, then you don't need an amp.

Quote:
I'm assuming amps are used to increase sound volume and quality, am I wrong?

Nov 3, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #8 of 22
Headphone amps are designed to address a host of issues, one of which is volume gain. I would say that while volume gain is important, it is not the main reason why someone might want to get a headphone amp. Other reasons would include better sound quality and access to specific features such as EQ, crossfeed, and etc.

Jack

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:

they are mainly to increase volume. if the volume is loud enough straight out of your music player, then you don't need an amp.

You've been here a month, and you still believe that?

Nov 3, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #10 of 22

yes, obviously some have features such as EQ and crossfeed, but i believe an amp itself should not color the sound. it should simply amplify the source as it is.

i know that an amp hooked to an ipod for example with an LOD can also help improve sound quality.

Quote:
You've been here a month, and you still believe that?

Quote:
Headphone amps are designed to address a host of issues, one of which is volume gain. I would say that while volume gain is important, it is not the main reason why someone might want to get a headphone amp. Other reasons would include better sound quality and access to specific features such as EQ, crossfeed, and etc.

Jack

Nov 7, 2010 at 1:55 PM Post #12 of 22
I liked my PA2V2 for what it was, but eventually you will probably want to upgrade. If you have any thoughts at all about upgrading beyond the PA2V2, then I say save up and get a higher end one.

Nov 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
I liked my PA2V2 for what it was, but eventually you will probably want to upgrade. If you have any thoughts at all about upgrading beyond the PA2V2, then I say save up and get a higher end one.

I'm starting to consider the E7/E9 combo, since many users are reporting positive and satisfying impressions about it... I guess I'll save my money a bit further.. Thanks for everyone who helped me in this thread!

Nov 9, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #14 of 22
i'd still consider the pa2v2. i still use mine almost 3 years later with no issues
smily_headphones1.gif
. its a great little amp!

Nov 9, 2010 at 5:29 AM Post #15 of 22
Thanks Zangetsu (nice nick by the way), but I just ordered the FiiO E7/E9 combo.. I suppose it will be enough for my needs in the short run. But nevertheless, I'm pretty sure the PA2v2 is an excellent amp.. and the guy who make them (Gary) is very helpful too..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back