Frogbeats Custom-IEM Appreciation Thread
Apr 10, 2013 at 2:28 AM Post #661 of 867
Quote:
Well, I wouldn't drop them onto a hard surface or smack them with a hammer
smily_headphones1.gif

I would...if they are yours :)

Apr 10, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #662 of 867
I wasn't planning on taking them to the monster truck rally, but scratches and the like are expected (due to the material used), and likely won't harm them in the long run?

EDIT: If it wasn't obvious, I'm an extremely disjointed and paranoid individual. Please humor me.

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #663 of 867
Yo Kir,

http://www.head-fi.org/t/659221/custom-in-ear-monitor-ciem-care-and-maintanence#post_9342756

Should give you an approximation of what a CIEM can take in term of being dropped. But I'd infer that scratches on the body wouldn't affect the sound - unless its a super deep cut into the CIEM.

On another note, to me the C4's have a lot more bass than I was expecting - I think its an optimal amount for my tastes. I was half-expecting to get ER4-like bass, but the fact that there is considerably more (a good thing 
bigsmile_face.gif
) makes me wonder how much bass the C5's have.

Apr 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #664 of 867
Thanks for the link.

So, after listening for numerous hours over 2-3 days, the fit gets better, but there are certain sticking points that I'm unsure will go away. The right piece has a pronounced hook (compared to the left) that goes into the top of my ear, and I believe it's the source for the discomfort. (Ironically, it probably contributes to the better seal) The left is a bit painful, though that may just be the ear fatigue talking. It still slides around a bit more than my liking, especially during long session with the moisture/oil and all. I'll take a 1-2 day break, and try again see if the feeling changes.

If I were to ship them for a refit, what should I package them in to prevent scratches/damage? Preferably something small to minimize shipping costs.

Apr 11, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #665 of 867
Quote:

On another note, to me the C4's have a lot more bass than I was expecting - I think its an optimal amount for my tastes. I was half-expecting to get ER4-like bass, but the fact that there is considerably more (a good thing 
bigsmile_face.gif
) makes me wonder how much bass the C5's have.

I thought the same thing, not quite sure how much more meaty the bass can get without sounding thick and overdone.

Quote:
Thanks for the link.

So, after listening for numerous hours over 2-3 days, the fit gets better, but there are certain sticking points that I'm unsure will go away. The right piece has a pronounced hook (compared to the left) that goes into the top of my ear, and I believe it's the source for the discomfort. (Ironically, it probably contributes to the better seal) The left is a bit painful, though that may just be the ear fatigue talking. It still slides around a bit more than my liking, especially during long session with the moisture/oil and all. I'll take a 1-2 day break, and try again see if the feeling changes.

If I were to ship them for a refit, what should I package them in to prevent scratches/damage? Preferably something small to minimize shipping costs.

I chucked them back in the case/box they sent me and just paid for the cost as such. Think it was like $40, but I did get the 2 day rush international option (had a case where it took 2-3 weeks for a buyer to receive when I sent normally, didn't want to wait).

You could also throw them in one of these - http://www.amazon.com/Case-Star-Black-Earphone-Earbuds/dp/B007P0MSA8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1365691034&sr=8-3&keywords=earphone+cases

I use it to transport my CIEMs when I travel and it's quite nice for the price. Protects it from general wear and tear. Likely won't hold up to being stepped on, but if you're that silly/careless you probably shouldn't be getting CIEMs in the first place.

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #666 of 867
Quote:
Thanks for the link.

give the fit four more days. for a 1st CIEM one week is needed to get used to it, i also had a problem with one side (left).

Apr 11, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #667 of 867
Sounds like it'll cost me upwards of $100 (including DHL return shipping). Really hoping my ears adapt to the fit, others have stated their initial week or so was pretty uncomfortable.

I do quite enjoy the sound though, no real qualms there.

Apr 11, 2013 at 1:05 PM Post #668 of 867
Just got the email that Frogbeats has started the process for my refit. Well, another 2 months starting from now....

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #669 of 867
What was the issue with yours, Eve?

Are CIEMs not meant for jogging/running? Not that I do much of either, but my pair, as mentioned before, bounce up and down significantly during the movement. (The left more than the right) Just want to see if it's normal, I know at least one of you says it doesn't occur with his/her pair.

Apr 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #671 of 867
Mine has perfect fit as far as sealing. Noise isolation is awesome as I can barely hear a shopvac turned on when I just use them as earplugs (no music). I'm still getting used to how deep the stem goes. It's really weird feeling.

That said, now I need to figure out why my i9300 galaxy s3 stopped outputting usb audio to my leckerton...

Apr 11, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #672 of 867
Quote:

Are CIEMs not meant for jogging/running? Not that I do much of either, but my pair, as mentioned before, bounce up and down significantly during the movement. (The left more than the right) Just want to see if it's normal, I know at least one of you says it doesn't occur with his/her pair.

I tried it for curiosity's sake and mine fit fine, never go loose while jogging if I clip on my DAP.

Don't recommend it just because of the moisture.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #673 of 867
Quote:
I tried it for curiosity's sake and mine fit fine, never go loose while jogging if I clip on my DAP.

Don't recommend it just because of the moisture.

That and you can't hear jack from your surroundings. It'd be a great way to get run over by a car.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #674 of 867
I'm just trying to get a handle on whether it's my elevated paranoia or that the fit is actually off. I'm thinking a bit of both right now.

Apr 11, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #675 of 867
Quote:

My left side was loose. If I moved my head even a little, it would move around alot. Furthermore, I tested the isolation with the C4s fully screwed in and only half screwed in. Both had the same amount of isolation (little) while the right side I could hear noticable difference. So basically, it was then I found out that I wasn't even getting a proper seal (one that isolates as well as the right) on the left ear. So, after investing this much into it, I might as well return it for a refit. 
Quote:
It took me a month to figure it out with the c5's, the c4's might be different but lifting No 2 over the edge of the custom keeps it in place.

I tried this, and never got #2 to go over the C4s. It just....didn't work. But I didn't need to do that for my right ear... So I figured it was either that my ear is malshaped for CIEMs, or that my impressions allowed for a faulty fit.
Quote:
I'm just trying to get a handle on whether it's my elevated paranoia or that the fit is actually off. I'm thinking a bit of both right now.

Yea... I remember when I had those feelings. I would just go for it. I doubt the sound will change much, but if you really like the C4 sound, I would go for it. If it didn't really appeal to you, then you might as well just live with it. The C4s won't magically sound better because of a better fit. It will only have better isolation and maybe a (slight) improvement in the accuracy. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back