Friends without names
Dec 3, 2015 at 8:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Spareribs

Headphoneus Supremus
For a few years I used to work at a store and used to talk to a bunch of the regular customers on a weekly basis. They were like friends to me but I never knew their names and they never knew mine.

Then I had to move and leave my job. I told one customer who I talked to for a few years that I was leaving. She felt sad and gave me a hug. I heard that the other customers were sad too after I left my job.

These people were great and felt like my friends. We used to talk all the time and I loved them. We were like friends but we did not know each other's names.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 5
Well, I work at a fast food restaurant.

I just transferred from Branch A to Branch B.
Branch B is a lot nearer to my home, so I transferred to save time and money for transport.

I have not yet worked at Branch B as a cashier. But at Branch A, I had noticed some regular customers at the counter.
One will mostly order two piece meal (chicken) with two biscuits and hot tea. On one occasion he ordered an ice cream. Let's call this guy John. I don't know his name.
Another will always order large fries for takeaway.
Another will always order a large mashed potato. He will just need a spoon and serviettes. He doesn't need the big tray.
Another will always ask for free serviettes although he doesn't order anything most of the time.

There are also those demanding customers who unrealistically want hot (freshly cooked) food, require more chili packets or no ice for drinks.

Because cashiers are always (most of the time) busy, we lack time to talk or chat with customers. But John seems to be always friendly. My colleague at Branch A said John has been a regular customer since the restaurant opened for business years back.

It is kind of sad that I never told John I was going to transfer.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 5
I bought a diet coke every morning for 4 years from the same guy. One day he paused to tell me his stand was closing, and he asked forgiveness for any discrepancies in the change he had given me over the years. I dont remember him ever giving me incorrect change, and I never knew his name. Never saw him again but i still think about that moment. Similar thing happened with a guy who owns the snack shop in the lobby of my building. He doesnt know my name but in terms of my daily human interaction hes pretty high up on the list. he tells me all about business, and particularly when it's bad. Last week he looked completey defeated saying business was so bad he was weeks behind on his salary and it had be "so hard" on his family. Made me want to cry. I know his name but only because someone else told me.

Dec 13, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #4 of 5
I started to work as a cashier at Branch B (usually I am assigned to work at the kitchen).

Still can't tell who are the regular customers.

Time will tell.
smile.gif

Dec 13, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 5
I think in some some societys, where there are many foreigners, it can be hard to remember many people's names because it's in another language.

Yes it's easy to remember your name if it's a name like John but if you come from an obscure country and your name is something like Djarvladyuque ( I made that one up) , it can be hard.

So I think these days, there are many people who have feelings toward each other in their daily lives but have no idea what each other's names are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back