Friends, Romans, Countryman, Lend me your advice on "burn-in"
May 28, 2020 at 7:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Capo Dei Capi

100+ Head-Fier
Need a bit of advice.

Yesterday I picked up a pair of X2HR's and have 2 questions.

First, do these need to be burnt in, and if they do, does anybody know how long they need?

Second, what is the correct way to burn them in. Should I run them at high volumes for hours on end, or just use them normally.

They sound amazing straight out of the box, so hopefully they can only get better. I do find female vocals a bit recessed though.

Thanks

May 28, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 6
In my opinion, just enjoy them. Listen to them and when you need to take them off you can just set them on the desk and let them play. I generally like to burn in for around 200 hrs.

May 28, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 6
Easy answer. If you don't believe in it, just listen, and go on your way.

If you think there might be something to it, then try a mix of regular music you like with periods of torture tracks. Go for 200 hours. Don't listen at all, or only every 10 hrs or so interspersed with several of your best known cans - so you don't get educated by the new cans. If you are going to listen say every 10 hours use your best recordings that you know very well, and also use it on your other two cans.

About 7-8 months ago I broke in a pair of HE-6se's and used the HE-500 and HEX v2 as references. I reported what I did in the HE6se thread. I'm sure your results will be different, so its just an example, not a road map.

My work with mylar drivers and sub-woofers in speakers, and additional headphone work convinces me that there is indeed something to it for at least some cases.

May 28, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Easy answer. If you don't believe in it, just listen, and go on your way.

If you think there might be something to it, then try a mix of regular music you like with periods of torture tracks. Go for 200 hours. Don't listen at all, or only every 10 hrs or so interspersed with several of your best known cans - so you don't get educated by the new cans. If you are going to listen say every 10 hours use your best recordings that you know very well, and also use it on your other two cans.

About 7-8 months ago I broke in a pair of HE-6se's and used the HE-500 and HEX v2 as references. I reported what I did in the HE6se thread. I'm sure your results will be different, so its just an example, not a road map.

My work with mylar drivers and sub-woofers in speakers, and additional headphone work convinces me that there is indeed something to it for at least some cases.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give them a hundred hours or so and see if it makes a difference. Although i'm not an expert i agree there might be something to it. For 2 years i had a pair of sony XB's that sounded great and then i lost them. I replaced them with new set and they just didn't sound anywhere near as good. I couldn't figure it out. Now i don't use them at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back