1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Friend needs airplane headphone

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by guzziguy, Jun 3, 2007.
  1. guzziguy
    I have a friend who travels a lot. She is looking for a pair of headphones to use on the plane to keep the noise out. She hates IEMs (what I would advise) so they're out. Please recommend a light, comfortable, sturdy headphone with decent sound quality and very good noise attenuation in an airplane enviroment. It will be used without an amp, more likely out of an ipod or similar player. Her budget is $300.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. Advil
    The sennheiser px150 is it? One of those is circumaural and blocks out noise.

I just looked and they offer the PXC 150, PXC 250 and the PXC 300.

Give it a try.

3. Fush
    I just ordered the Audio Technica ANC7 for that purpose. They have active noice cancelling. Can't tell you what they sound like though, cause I haven't received them yet.

4. Sunkinator
    Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7

half the price, better than bose

5. ChaseD13
    sennheiser 25s? they dont isolate like iems, but they sound very good.

6. Icarium
    I've heard that Ultrasone headphones are really good at providing isolation (They are true closed headphones unlike AT woodies and the R10)... so perhaps one of those in her price range will do.

7. LaBreaHead
    Is she willing to put up with active noise cancellation (which means an extra component and a battery, and for some prominent cancelling 'phones, no possible use if the battery dies and you don't have a spare)? If she wants active cancellation, be sure she knows whether the kind she's getting require a battery to get any sound ... with some cancelling 'phones, she can at least keep listening -- without the active cancellation -- if she gets caught without a battery.

Also, there are headphones (active or closed/passive cancelling) that clamp onto the ears, vs. larger but often more comfortable headphones that fit around the ears. Be sure she's clear on that, too.

Having said all that, I will say you (we) should still try to talk her into IEMs: highly portable, less bother (one less big item to carry around while travelling), and very effective at reducing cabin noise in airplanes. (Foamies make IEMs more comfortable for many Head-Fi readers.) My $89 Etymotics ER6i's are a real bargain when I consider how much less fatiguing and more pleasant they make my flights.

8. Singapura
    Why does your friend hate IEM's? Is it because of the fit? There are so many different tips for sale now that she's bound to find something that fits. The Westone UM-1 with foamies are a good choice as are the Mylar Ones (they sound almost the same). I wouldn't recommend noise cancelling but if you don't use it the headphone will probably be quite large (like Beyer DT770's)