Friend is a BOSE lover, help
May 1, 2006 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

ZZDMAN

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Just signed up after being a long time lurker.
Found out bout u guys through EOCF (forums.extremeoverclocking.com). Anyone who isn't running an overclocked pc, should be!
smily_headphones1.gif

Drop by for any PC help if needed.

anyhow, was talking to my friend who thinks that bose offer the BEST SOUND ON THE MARKET. I know that only reading this makes some of u people turn red. Help me prove him wrong.

are these good?
http://www.bose.com/controller?event...adphones_index

What phones are better for less? Does bose really offer the best sound on the market?

Thanks!

btw i'm using 20$ koss ksc 75 and LOVING THEM!
are they really the best phones under 50-100$?

May 1, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 42
Quote:

No, they're not the best, but they only cost $10-20 and compete very well with just about everything under $100. Very good value.

Tell your friend the Triports are cheap phones that sound cheap and break a lot, that you have to pay a lot for (generally). They'll compete fine with phones in the $50 range, but get blown out of the water, Red October style, by just about everything you'll read about around here costing $100-$150.

Off topic:

Quote:

Anyone who isn't running an overclocked pc, should be!

These days it doesn't make as much sense, unless you're into intarweb-penis waving. In the old days of 500MHz P3s, a game and a few proggies could kick those CPUs in the balls, and you could realize huge improvements with OC'ing.

These days of the 3.0+ GHz processors, they're rarely, if ever, the bottleneck, so the inherent risks and general pain-in-the-@ss of overclocking a PC are rarely, if ever, indicated.

I did do a lot of it in the late '90s and early 2000s, though...
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2006 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 42
Utter crap. Your 75's will destroy the triports anyday. Excellent set of phones for the price.

There's no converting the un-convertable. I would stop trying before you go insane.

BOSE = Better Profits Through Marketing

May 1, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #4 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by rodbac
No, they're not the best, but they only cost $10-20 and compete very well with just about everything under $100. Very good value.

Tell your friend the Triports are cheap phones that sound cheap and break a lot, that you have to pay a lot for (generally). They'll compete fine with phones in the $50 range, but get blown out of the water, Red October style, by just about everything you'll read about around here costing $100-$150.

Off topic:

These days it doesn't make as much sense, unless you're into intarweb-penis waving. In the old days of 500MHz P3s, a game and a few proggies could kick those CPUs in the balls, and you could realize huge improvements with OC'ing.

These days of the 3.0+ GHz processors, they're rarely, if ever, the bottleneck, so the inherent risks and general pain-in-the-@ss of overclocking a PC are rarely, if ever, indicated.

I did do a lot of it in the late '90s and early 2000s, though...
smily_headphones1.gif

But it's oh so much fun.
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZZDMAN
Hello!

Just signed up after being a long time lurker.
Found out bout u guys through EOCF (forums.extremeoverclocking.com). Anyone who isn't running an overclocked pc, should be!
smily_headphones1.gif

Drop by for any PC help if needed.

anyhow, was talking to my friend who thinks that bose offer the BEST SOUND ON THE MARKET. I know that only reading this makes some of u people turn red. Help me prove him wrong.

are these good?
http://www.bose.com/controller?event...adphones_index

What phones are better for less? Does bose really offer the best sound on the market?

Thanks!

I actually personally find the KSC75s to sound better than TriPorts. Bose isn't necessarily horrible, just HORRIBLY overpriced. Oh, and if you want to make him try them, KSC75s are on sale at Radio SHack for 9.99 now. =D For the 150 dollars it costs to get a Triport, though, you could get any number of much, much better headphones. (Some used, some new) HD580s, K501s, SR125s, MS1s, SR225s if you're lucky, would all blow the TriPorts out of the water in sound quality, IMO.

May 1, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #7 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReD sKyE
One more thing: Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.
orphsmile.gif

k1000smile.gif

watcha gonna do i'm a performance freak

about the overclocking comment, games DO utilize the CPU power (isn't a bottleneck).

Example:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...oc.aspx?i=2747

Anyhow, isn't saying my KSC 75 are better a bit exaggerated?!
For god's sake they're 10$ vs 150$ phones....

In any case, thanks for all the replies, i think i proved my point nicely
smily_headphones1.gif

oh and completely off topic, how are the skullcrushers? the built in subwoofer sounds VERY cool ! i LOVE listenning to bass heavy music with heavy, club-like bass.
Anything better than them with awesome bass for under 50$? Gonna be used with an ipod mini (mp3gained all my songs, plz don't linch me
smily_headphones1.gif
) and with the pc

thanks pleasure to be a member
tongue.gif

May 1, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 42
Quote:

k1000smile.gif

about the overclocking comment, games DO utilize the CPU power (isn't a bottleneck).

Example:

smily_headphones1.gif

oh and completely off topic, how are the skullcrushers? the built in subwoofer sounds VERY cool ! i LOVE listenning to bass heavy music with heavy, club-like bass.
Anything better than them with awesome bass for under 50$? Gonna be used with an ipod mini (mp3gained all my songs, plz don't linch me
smily_headphones1.gif
) and with the pc

tongue.gif

No, it is not an exaggeration; price does not necessarily mean anything sometimes. I would not listen to a pair of V700DJs at ANY price point, and they cost 100 bucks. The T-Amp, a $30 dollar piece of equipment, has been ranked by high-end audio reviewers (6moons and TNT Audio) as on par with speaker amps in nearly 30 multiples of its price bracket. The only thing the Triports have going for them over the KSC75s as far as I'm concerned is a little bit of isolation. As far as the skullcrushers are concerned, they just look like a novelty and a bit of a joke to me. I hate to be one to write off headphones without trying them, but I can safely say I would not buy them, even though I haven't heard them. I've seen some in person, and their build quality looks dubious at best, and if nothing else, you'd think we might have heard SOMETHING about them by now if they were any good. I've been wrong before, but I don't think headphones with a built-in "subwoofer" would sound anything other than godawful. Honestly, club like bass simply does not really happen in headphones. The DT770s are known for being HIGHLY bassy cans, and even they don't come close. Headphones are simply not designed for that, especially not high end ones. There are some very bassy cans out there, but the pounding, thumping bass you're talking about is just a completely different world from audiophile-grade stuff, which is typically geared toward accuracy. Some people here actually will play both a subwoofer and wear headphones at the same time, though; you may want to consider that as an option.

May 1, 2006 at 9:39 PM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Not a bit.

The 75s hold their own against just about everything under $100 and the Triports are generally considered to be worth no more than $40-50.

Certainly you have to allow for personal preference- there will always be a percentage of people who will think Sony V600s are the height of audiophile...

You can tell him in no uncertain terms, though, that practically noboby with any experience with headphones will agree with him.

May 1, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 42
Quote:

k1000smile.gif

Example:

smily_headphones1.gif

smily_headphones1.gif
) and with the pc

tongue.gif

In the regular world, yes that would be an exageration. But this is the fairy-dust-sprinkled-marketing-imaginary BOSE world we are talking about. Anything can happen there. Like somehow making a $10 set of headphones that are comfortable, look cool, and sound like crap sell for $150.

I'd stay away from the Skullcrushers. I bought a pair of the Panasonic equivalent (though these were buds) and returned them 15 minutes after I bought them. Save up for some Beyerdynamic DT-770s for some kick-ass bass.

EDIT: Meyvn beat me to the punch. Although, I would argue that the 770s DO have club like bass. They might not make your body rattle, but your head surely becomes a warzone.
basshead.gif
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 42
Your buds on earcrack! show him this link(if he really does want really good cans).

http://www.thenerds.net/index.php?pa...fid=8&pn=HD555

I just sold a pair of these because I upgraded to HD650's, knowing what I do now, I would have stayed with the 555's! the 650's are twice as good but cost three times as much. I do think the 650's are worth $300. but I feel the 555's are worth $200. at $100. its a hugh steal of a deal.

580smile.gif

May 1, 2006 at 10:45 PM Post #14 of 42
I justed noticed your using an ipon mini... you might want to look into Ultimate Ears Super.fi 5 EB's for crazy bass that is easily driven instead of the DT-770s. Not quite as nice as the 770s, but low impedance means your ipod will have no trouble driving them. The 770s, on the other hand, need an amp to sound their best.

May 1, 2006 at 11:24 PM Post #15 of 42
In terms of overpriced, I'd say the Koss are one of the few headphones that arn't overpriced

Orpheus? L3000s? Triports?
What do they all have in common?
They're all overpriced!

Hey I'm even team Bose and I have to admit those Triports are a little overpriced(and the QC2 way too overpriced)

In the land of the "audiophiles" though, Bose is kind of in the middle when it comes to the price/performance. I find it funny some head-fiers bash Bose being overpriced when their profile lists half a million $ cables and power cords.
icon10.gif
Other than the headband being flimsy, I would go as far as to say they're one of the no-brainers in audio. You can go *anywhere* and have an audition. You could audition for like an hour a day and the store employees wouldn't care! As long as you are aware of the headband issues, it's all good. If you don't like the sound after extended listening, you don't buy. If you do, you buy! Not too many great deals like that in audioland, folks. Just check the head-fi forums to find the common story of head-fier buys blind; hates purchase and sells for a loss.
Pssst... for those of you modders out there: buy Triports with BROKEN headbands for unbelievable prices and put the drivers in your own enclosure! The Bose Triports are not for newbs, they are not your beginners phone! but for modders(you say you're an overclocker, perhaps you also mod computer cases? This is similar) they're a real gem! An absolute steal if you can find one cheap with a broken headband!

So in conclusion: for the average newb who buys the Triports stock... they only shine in that you can audition their sound with ease.
For the modder who's willing to look for a nice price: they're an absolute gem! Diamond in the rough!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back