Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Aug 4, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #317 of 388
iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM Post #318 of 388
I plan on doing a full review within a week or so, I just need some more time with it.

But early on I will say I can tell this easily bests all other amps I've owned when it comes to sound! The signature seems very energetic and a touch warm, I think it's a great match with the dx90's line out

Aug 5, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #319 of 388
I plan on doing a full review within a week or so, I just need some more time with it.

But early on I will say I can tell this easily bests all other amps I've owned when it comes to sound! The signature seems very energetic and a touch warm, I think it's a great match with the dx90's line out

Thanks. Shall look forward to your review. I'm positively hopeful that the Falcon shall be a great match with my D14 as well.

Cheers

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #321 of 388
I'm still waiting to do the review for a few more days but so far I can say that my Xba h3 have never played music with this much poise and precision.

I think a lot of things in the amp are to give credit for the excellent performance but the high voltage is certainly shining through as a winner in my ears!

Aug 8, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #322 of 388
I'm still waiting to do the review for a few more days but so far I can say that my Xba h3 have never played music with this much poise and precision.

I think a lot of things in the amp are to give credit for the excellent performance but the high voltage is certainly shining through as a winner in my ears!

You will also hear positive changes as the P5 burns in. Then there are all the op amp and buffer options. There is a lot to enjoy and work with.

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:51 AM Post #323 of 388
Bought a P5, eventually had to do it, my P4 has been for sale for months and no one wants it, hmph, people only want the latest, if you can find a better amp than the P4 at $160 I will give it to you for free.

Anyway, does anyone know if P5 can handle extra high voltage NiMh battery such as 11 volts?

Aug 9, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #324 of 388
Bought a P5, eventually had to do it, my P4 has been for sale for months and no one wants it, hmph, people only want the latest, if you can find a better amp than the P4 at $160 I will give it to you for free.

Anyway, does anyone know if P5 can handle extra high voltage NiMh battery such as 11 volts?
I have no idea about the extra high voltage NiMh battery, but I'm happy someone else got a p5 now and it's not just me and Paul on this ghost thread

I know it's early but how different is the p5 and p4? Sound quality and build quality I'm curious

Aug 9, 2016 at 8:44 PM Post #325 of 388
I have no idea about the extra high voltage NiMh battery, but I'm happy someone else got a p5 now and it's not just me and Paul on this ghost thread

I know it's early but how different is the p5 and p4? Sound quality and build quality I'm curious

Hey, I'm still around also! While the P4 was (and still is) an excellent portable amp, the P5 does eclipse it in every way, except maybe for portability. I have not owned a desktop amplifier that outperformed my P5. It is beyond me why folks pay megabucks for boutique amplifiers that cannot match the performance of the P5.

EDIT: I would not want to try 11v cells in the P5. Solid state devices are usually able to meet a + or - 10% variation over stated values, but anything over that, you are a test pilot! While the opamps and buffers in the P5 can handle larger voltages, there are many other devices such as caps and resistors that could well be damaged by higher supply voltages.

Aug 9, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #326 of 388
EDIT: I would not want to try 11v cells in the P5. Solid state devices are usually able to meet a + or - 10% variation over stated values, but anything over that, you are a test pilot! While the opamps and buffers in the P5 can handle larger voltages, there are many other devices such as caps and resistors that could well be damaged by higher supply voltages.

But the external power supply of P5 feeds +/- 15v to P5, so that should mean P5 is able to handle batteries up to the same voltage.

Aug 10, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #327 of 388

The P5 is a totally different design compared to the P4. The P4 for its size does a good job but we designed the P5 to compete as a portable desktop amp. I think we succeeded and have never had a negative response from a customer. The machining on the case took a lot of trial and error with nothing but the best tolerances being accepted and matching of internal parts took a long time to optimize.

On the battery question it is always better to be cautious until you find out for sure. Hiflight is right to question this.  11 volt batteries will work fine and no problem will occur with the circuit. Let us know how it sounds.
smile.gif

Aug 10, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #328 of 388
The P5 is a totally different design compared to the P4. The P4 for its size does a good job but we designed the P5 to compete as a portable desktop amp. I think we succeeded and have never had a negative response from a customer. The machining on the case took a lot of trial and error with nothing but the best tolerances being accepted and matching of internal parts took a long time to optimize.

On the battery question it is always better to be cautious until you find out for sure. Hiflight is right to question this.  11 volt batteries will work fine and no problem will occur with the circuit. Let us know how it sounds. :smile:
What is the tolerance in your factory for machining? Where I work the industry standard for cnc tolerance is .015 of an inch and is even tighter on certified jobs like .005

Aug 11, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #329 of 388
As the P5 is intended to be used as a desktop amp for at least part of the time, it would have been nice to have an input in the rear panel. As it is, it suffers from the same problem as the O2, namely that of the signal cable entering from the front. This is not a problem if you are using a DAP, but it doesn't look all that neat when connected to desktop sources.

Aug 11, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #330 of 388
I bought some old school NiCd, Nickel Cadmium batteries, they have lower internal resistance than NiMH batteries, which also means they have higher current delivery, so I'm going to do a test of NiCd vs NiMH to see if I can discern any audible difference.

I remember when I was a kid when I'd put NiCd batteries into my remote control car they would make the car go much faster than other battery types.

edit: Further research shows certain modern NiMH (Panasonic/Sanyo Eneloop) have surpassed NiCd in every way, and Li-Ion is a good all round option. Still, I'm going to do a test of all to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back