Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Feb 28, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #286 of 388
I read through the thread and did not see an answer, I just traveled to Australia from the USA and as soon as i plugged the power supply in it blow the fuse in the unit. What is the recommendation for fuse size for 220v?

You have a power supply designed for 110 to 120 volts. It can not be used with 220 volts. You need either our power supply for 220 volts or a step down transformer. The step-down transformer to 110 or 120 will allow you to use the power supply you currently have.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Feb 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM Post #287 of 388
You have a power supply designed for 110 to 120 volts. It can not be used with 220 volts. You need either our power supply for 220 volts or a step down transformer. The step-down transformer to 110 or 120 will allow you to use the power supply you currently have.

Thank you for that answer. Might be a good thing to put on the power supply in the future for user to know. Or state this on specifications on the ibasso web site.

Mar 1, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #288 of 388
Thank you for that answer. Might be a good thing to put on the power supply in the future for user to know. Or state this on specifications on the ibasso web site.

You are correct and I apologize. We will be clearly labeling the power supplies.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Mar 2, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #289 of 388
Any chance to have it compared to the ifi idsd micro? I read only awesome stuff about both. Some word about the "bass" thingy?

Also a very technical question that probably not many can answer but why dat 3.5mm plug on your devices (DX80 too)?? :wavesfist:
Ok I know I should DIY my cables soon but while using a 3.5mm to 6.3mm adapter is fine (it's smaller on the outside), using a 6.3 to 3.5 is really terrible for me, feels like using the phone with a pool stick sticked in instead of a device for real (partially semi-grown) men. How about making them both?

Ok rant's over, back to lurking mode :D

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #290 of 388
Just received the Audeze LCD 2 Fazor . Pairing with the P5-PS , sound quality is really good !, in High Gain everythings are rendering beautifully ( soundstage basses , mids highs ) This is an amazing piece of HeadAmp !

Mar 21, 2016 at 1:38 AM Post #291 of 388
  Just received the Audeze LCD 2 Fazor . Pairing with the P5-PS , sound quality is really good !, in High Gain everythings are rendering beautifully ( soundstage basses , mids highs ) This is an amazing piece of HeadAmp !

I am constantly amazed at how good the P5 sounds and they will power most all my headphones and do it like a full desktop amp. 

May 8, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #292 of 388
Folks,

Would appreciate any comparisons bet. P5 and Mojo, as I'm looking for a source upgrade. I'm currently using the D14 Bushmaster with Fidelio X2 at home, and RHA T20 IEMs. I've used the Mojo briefly for review for two weeks and found its tonality and detail retrieval to be ahead of my D14, but not by very much. What impressed me about Mojo though was its natural realistic timbre, the best I've heard till now. Would adding the Falcon give me an improved natural tonality over the Mojo, or is it just better for higher impedance headphones. 

Thanks in advance, cheers

May 8, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #293 of 388
Folks,

Would appreciate any comparisons bet. P5 and Mojo, as I'm looking for a source upgrade. I'm currently using the D14 Bushmaster with Fidelio X2 at home, and RHA T20 IEMs. I've used the Mojo briefly for review for two weeks and found its tonality and detail retrieval to be ahead of my D14, but not by very much. What impressed me about Mojo though was its natural realistic timbre, the best I've heard till now. Would adding the Falcon give me an improved natural tonality over the Mojo, or is it just better for higher impedance headphones. 

Thanks in advance, cheers

I have had both and kept the P5.

May 8, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #294 of 388
I have had both and kept the P5.

Thanks for your quick response. I also see that you've got the Plenue D in your sig. I'm also considering this as a DAP upgrade. So if you could give a comparison between tonality of the Plenue D, P5 & Mojo, would really appreciate it! I'm mainly looking at accuracy of timbre, and detail retrieval. 

Thanks again.

May 9, 2016 at 7:49 AM Post #295 of 388
Thanks for your quick response. I also see that you've got the Plenue D in your sig. I'm also considering this as a DAP upgrade. So if you could give a comparison between tonality of the Plenue D, P5 & Mojo, would really appreciate it! I'm mainly looking at accuracy of timbre, and detail retrieval. 

Thanks again.

The Plenue D is a great all-arounder DAP, as it is very small, has about 50 hours of play time (lossless) and nearly infinite DSP adjustments which allows me to tailor the sound of all my phones to my personal preferences. The shortcoming is that the D has only a headphone out and no digital or line outputs.

The P5 is my amp of choice when paired with my Grace DAC for desktop use.

May 9, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #296 of 388
The Plenue D is a great all-arounder DAP, as it is very small, has about 50 hours of play time (lossless) and nearly infinite DSP adjustments which allows me to tailor the sound of all my phones to my personal preferences. The shortcoming is that the D has only a headphone out and no digital or line outputs.

The P5 is my amp of choice when paired with my Grace DAC for desktop use.

Thanks again. How do you rate the tonality of the P5 in terms of naturalness of timbre when compared to that of the Mojo?

Also, how close to these two (P5, Mojo) does the Plenue D get?

Thanks

May 9, 2016 at 6:00 PM Post #297 of 388
Thanks again. How do you rate the tonality of the P5 in terms of naturalness of timbre when compared to that of the Mojo?

Also, how close to these two (P5, Mojo) does the Plenue D get?

Thanks

IMO, the timbre and tonality of the P5 is better than the Mojo. In addition, the bass boost is very subtle but yet very effective for adding a bit more solid foundation to phones that might be a little light in the bass.

With a given set of phones and with some time for experimentation, the Plenue D can get very close to the Mojo and slightly less close to the P5. Please keep in mind that I am using the latest custom Topkit in my P5. That is one of the advantages...one can roll opamps, although the stock devices are excellent.

The Plenue D has 44 discrete presets and 4 user-defined presets. The user presets allow one to vary the BBE, 3-D, room characteristics and EQ etc. in an almost infinite variety.
As I listen to a lot of vocal music, I find the "Rap" preset to present a very lifelike listening experience with most of my phones, even the TOTL ones. It is a very versatile little DAP.

It is good enough that it has pulled me away from my desktop setup (Computer > Grace > P5) Biggest drawback is that there is no provision for listening to Tidal.

May 9, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #298 of 388
IMO, the timbre and tonality of the P5 is better than the Mojo. In addition, the bass boost is very subtle but yet very effective for adding a bit more solid foundation to phones that might be a little light in the bass.

With a given set of phones and with some time for experimentation, the Plenue D can get very close to the Mojo and slightly less close to the P5. Please keep in mind that I am using the latest custom Topkit in my P5. That is one of the advantages...one can roll opamps, although the stock devices are excellent.

The Plenue D has 44 discrete presets and 4 user-defined presets. The user presets allow one to vary the BBE, 3-D, room characteristics and EQ etc. in an almost infinite variety.
As I listen to a lot of vocal music, I find the "Rap" preset to present a very lifelike listening experience with most of my phones, even the TOTL ones. It is a very versatile little DAP.

It is good enough that it has pulled me away from my desktop setup (Computer > Grace > P5) Biggest drawback is that there is no provision for listening to Tidal.

Thanks for those detailed impressions, appreciate it.

Jun 14, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #299 of 388
Hi. I'm planning on getting a P5 for my cans. I tried it 2 times, 1 at the meeting and the other time at the store. I got a few questions:
1. Not sure if it's just me, but when I heard it with the power supply there seems to be a small haziness (I can't quite word it) in the background while there was none when I use the battery (maybe it just my memory messing with me as the time between these trials are pretty far apart). Mine HP is the Sonorous VI so it is quite sensitive with low impedance. Is this normal?
2. Can anyone explain what does buffer, output ground, virtual ground, left right channel does in the amp? I do learn some basic electronics at university but not quite enough to understand what these things do in a real amplifier.

Jun 14, 2016 at 8:08 AM Post #300 of 388
Buffer = opamps to separate the driven load (headphone) from the voltage driver (aka left and right channel opamps), and thus provides current reserves to better drive headphones. Different opamp buffers have different sonic characteristics.
Left and right = opamps used as the main voltage driver. Again different opamps can be used that have different sonic characteristics.
Output g. and virtual g. = opamps that basically serve an interesting way to add extra colour to the sound by being used as "grounds", they are not actually needed, they just add extra customization, a purist might even leave the grounds empty (dummy chips). But employing the ground opamps certainly does create unique sound not otherwise found.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back