Fresh From The Oven: iBasso P5 "Falcon"
Aug 11, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #91 of 388
Battery Life: Depends on the OPAMP and BUF combination.

Aug 11, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #93 of 388
  wonder how this sounds stacked with the DX90? im sure the dimension are similar. So if it takes 8-16 hours to charge how long does it last?

As for the SQ. It is a custom amplifier and it will sound as good as you manage to configure it to sound by finding perfect opamp/buffer match for yourself. Even in stock configuration it will outperform DX90 alone.

Custom configuration is the beauty of this amp and a very good investment compared to buying fixed configuration amps. Every time you find yourself willing to try something new just change the opamp/buffer combo and check out the sound.

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #97 of 388
What can I say...
I already ordered one just now!!!!

I honestly winced at the thought, USD $557 for the P5 comes to around $780 AUD, I think I'll wait a few years till our dollar catches up 
tongue.gif

awesome!
wow, is it $530.00 for the amp alone?

Comes with power supply and connecting cable

Aug 15, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #98 of 388

I honestly winced at the thought, USD $557 for the P5 comes to around $780 AUD, I think I'll wait a few years till our dollar catches up 
tongue.gif

Yep, it hurts me as well but what can I do. Posted a couple of ads on gumtree...selling my old couple of amps which I no longer use.

PS Tax return comes in handy 
tongue.gif

Aug 15, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #100 of 388
  if i was to want to install OPA627SM what would I need (better OPA637SM).
I just dont know how the entire buffer concept works. 

You need two buffer opamps. P5 takes DIP8 opamps, but the OPA637SM is a TO99, it would still fit just fine, you just gotta arrange the pins to slot in following the below diagram.

Or you could buy the OPA637SM already attached to a DIP8 board like below, can buy on ebay or aliexpress. 

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #102 of 388
  does the buffer selection matter

Matters just as much as the main voltage opamps and virtual ground opamps, every opamp you swap will have a big impact on the sound. Playing with an amp that has swappable opamps can take over your life. You will want to keep buying new opamps to try, trust me I've been there.

Aug 15, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #103 of 388
@Paul - iBasso Just a suggestion. I think it might be cool for you guys to create a carrying case designed for the P5. For me, the P5 will become a transportable amp, and having a nice place to store it while I travel around might be nice.

Also quick question. Does the P5 take its energy directly from the power supply? If I have the P5 connected to the PS but with no battery in the P5 itself, will it still function?

Aug 15, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #104 of 388
  @Paul - iBasso Just a suggestion. I think it might be cool for you guys to create a carrying case designed for the P5. For me, the P5 will become a transportable amp, and having a nice place to store it while I travel around might be nice.

Also quick question. Does the P5 take its energy directly from the power supply? If I have the P5 connected to the PS but with no battery in the P5 itself, will it still function?

It takes it from the PS so you can use with or without batteries. There are so many cases on the market now that would work and are inexpensive I think we will leave it up to the purchaser. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Aug 15, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #105 of 388

You need two buffer opamps. P5 takes DIP8 opamps, but the OPA637SM is a TO99, it would still fit just fine, you just gotta arrange the pins to slot in following the below diagram.

Or you could buy the OPA637SM already attached to a DIP8 board like below, can buy on ebay or aliexpress. 

There are circuits where the opa637 isn't stable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back