Frequent Flyer needs closed air headphones
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
I am a frequent flyer who will be mostly listening to music through an ipod and occasionally watching a movie through my laptop or ipod. My main concern is music quality. I am also unsure if I need Active Noise Cancellation or not.. can any flyers make a recommendation?

I am not super opposed to IEMs, I just don't like the feel of them in my ear, but I am willing to take recommendation, especially if they will put out comparable sound quality.

What I am looking for:
Over the head
Closed air
Good Isolation
Active Noise Cancellation (not sure if I need/want this?)
Portable (fold up, ect)
Warm sound and clarity with accurate lows (willing to try something new though)
$75-$120 (and yes I know how this works.. ill probably spend $150)

I have owned Senheisser hd280 and Audio Technica ad700 to give you an idea of what type of sound I have heard. I love the open air sound of the ad700s and enjoy the warm sound they put out. I am willing to try a set with a different type of sound though.

Thanks in advance!
John

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM Post #2 of 15
For my flying i still use my Bose Quiet Comfort cans. In a plane they are tthe only cans i've used that adequatly kill the low freq. drone. With the drone gone you have a decent chance of some listening, but an aircraft isn't a good place for listening anyways.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:26 PM Post #3 of 15
Ety IEMs offer much more isolation than noise cancelling phones.

With shure olives they are quite comfortable even with my tiny ear canals.

Got put next to the engine on a recent flight. The etys preserved my hearing and my sanity.

With the etys in a baby screaming nearby will become a very low background murmur.

So I would recommend reconsidering IEMs, etys have the best isolation but the shures are pretty close and very comfortable.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 15
I wear my Westone Um2's with the yellow shure foamies on them. I wear them on the subway/El here in Chicago and they do a great job, can't even hear the trains coming/going. The also have amazing sound quality. The trebles are slightly rolled off but with the IPOD on treble booster they are perfect for me. The bass is clear and accurate, not in the least muddy or overwhelming. They also respond extremely well to EQ'ing. I highly recommend them! I'm sure the SE 530's (shure) are great too but they are larger in size. The westones are comfortable to sleep/lay down with because they don't stick out of your ears at all.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Oct 25, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by squid_shank /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you dont want IEMs, sennheiser makes some pretty decent traveling headphones with active noise cancelling

Yeh, the senns are way better than the Blose.

Oct 25, 2008 at 4:10 AM Post #7 of 15
And the etymotics are way better than the *insert brand here*

If its isolation you want, go for an etymotic IEM. The fit is usually odd at first but once I got used to mine I can wear them like nothing is there, sleep eat run walk talk ride with them.

If you cant stand an IEM, then yes, go to Sennheiser

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:32 AM Post #8 of 15
ATH-M50 for over the ear headphones. They're durable, sound great, and priced at about $100 new

For in ear headphones which provide the best isolation, I'd recommend the ATH-CK7. Amazing sound and the price has dropped to less than half of what i paid in Japan

Oct 25, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ety in-ears with the triflange tips will isolate the best.

That, or foams will sometimes give me better isolation, or their new tip which isnt really out yet gives amazing isolation every time. Makes triflanges feel like weak sauce

Oct 25, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by TacticalPenguin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That, or foams will sometimes give me better isolation, or their new tip which isnt really out yet gives amazing isolation every time. Makes triflanges feel like weak sauce

What is the "new tip"? Is it a foam or a silicon? And will we get a review when it is out?

Oct 25, 2008 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by nickdawg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the "new tip"? Is it a foam or a silicon? And will we get a review when it is out?

I shouldn't have really said anything hehe. I'll post my impressions etc on it when I'm told it's nearing release, but for now I shouldn't, but I will say I like it. It cannot really be compared to any normal type of tip right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back