Frequent Flyer needs closed air headphones
Oct 24, 2008 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

rage3324

100+ Head-Fier
I am a frequent flyer who will be mostly listening to music through an ipod and occasionally watching a movie through my laptop or ipod. My main concern is music quality. I am also unsure if I need Active Noise Cancellation or not.. can any flyers make a recommendation?

What I am looking for:
Over the head (unless you can convince me that in the ear phones will sound just as good for my price range)
Closed air
Good Isolation
Active Noise Cancellation (not sure if I need/want this?)
Portable (fold up, ect)
Warm sound and clarity with accurate lows (willing to try something new though)
$75-$120 (and yes I know how this works.. ill probably spend $150)

I have owned Senheisser hd280 and Audio Technica ad700 to give you an idea of what type of sound I have heard. I love the open air sound of the ad700s and enjoy the warm sound they put out. I am willing to try a set with a different type of sound though.

Thanks in advance!
John

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by odymmij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Denon D1001. They're closed, portable and has enough isolation to not bother people around you so much. Active noise cancelling is really kind of a joke. They sound really warm and go for about 80-100 on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Denon AHD1001S On-Ear Headphones (Silver): Electronics

The black version cost more for some reason...

I agree that the D1001 would be a good choice. Another possibility would be the Beyer DT770, which are normally a LOT more expensive, but it so happens that Amazon is offering them for $113.77 at the moment (crazy low price for these, IMO): Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones: Electronics

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 29
Further reading has led me to believe that those will not have enough isolation.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree that the D1001 would be a good choice. Another possibility would be the Beyer DT770, which are normally a LOT more expensive, but it so happens that Amazon is offering them for $113.77 at the moment (crazy low price for these, IMO): Amazon.com: beyerdynamic DT 770 Stereo Headphones: Electronics

While I would love to jump on the Beyers, they are not portable enough as they do not fold. I will be traveling a lot and I rather be able to fold and stow my headphones so I dont break them.

The d1001s from what I have been reading do not provide enough isolation.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:09 PM Post #7 of 29
Why not consider in ear monitors?

Etymotic ER-4S are fantastic for isolation, and most people (90%) don't mind the slight discomfort of sticking something in their ears. Their overall sonic signature definitely favors the mids and highs (bass light) but they're amazingly clear and transparent. Lots of people love them, and they used to cost twice what they do now.

Here's the best price I could find quickly. Don't know if it's a reputable dealer, but I'm sure some searching could find similar deals: Wizzard Electronics, Inc.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 29
Another possibility if you want full size headphones that fold up would be the Ultrasone product line. I'm not sure which of their closed headphones are in the $100-ish price range, but I think most of them fold up and isolate pretty well. Maybe an Ultrasone fan can provide an appropriate model number. I've got the Pro 750 closed model (as well as the Pro 2500 open model), but they're both more than your budget. Maybe Pro 550. I'm not sure what they sell for, but it's worth looking into. Ultrasone

Edit: Ehh... looks like they're more in the $150 and up range, depending on where you buy them. That, and I can't recommend them (as such) because I'm only familiar with the 750 Pro, 2500 Pro and Edition 9 models, all of which are more expensive and presumably better sounding than the 550 Pro.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Why not consider in ear monitors?

Etymotic ER-4S are fantastic for isolation, and most people (90%) don't mind the slight discomfort of sticking something in their ears. Their overall sonic signature definitely favors the mids and highs (bass light) but they're amazingly clear and transparent. Lots of people love them, and they used to cost twice what they do now.

Here's the best price I could find quickly. Don't know if it's a reputable dealer, but I'm sure some searching could find similar deals: Wizzard Electronics, Inc.

I want to at least exhaust my over the head options before I go down the in ear route. I don't mind in ear headphones, but for a long period of time, they do get uncomfortable for me. If you can convince me that an in ear set will sound as good, then I would consider it

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #10 of 29
I use to travel constantly for my old job, 100k per year and so I faced a similar situation. I ultimately went with the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's from Headroom. They have they most isolation out of any other closed back headphone and very nice (albeit colored) base response.

I had tried noise reduction headphones but they gave me this really weird sense, almost fatigue when I put them on. I found it immediately annoying.

I had tired IEMs, like the ER4s, but they would irritate my ear canal after extended wearing and were too much of a pain to take in and out everytime someone tried to say something to me. With the 280s, everyone knows you're wearing headphones and they leave you alone.

The 280's also fold flat or into a ball so their easy to pack as a carry on and the coiled cable stays out of the way in the cramped quarters in coach. Ultimately though, you have to remember that you will still be able to hear things going on around you during quiet passages of music or silence during a movie. This is in part because you hear not only through your ears, but also through your skeletal bone, i.e. bone vibrations move the eardrum.

Headroom has a graph of noise isolation for various headphone models, you should check it out.

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #11 of 29
Quote:

Another possibility if you want full size headphones that fold up would be the Ultrasone product line. I'm not sure which of their closed headphones are in the $100-ish price range, but I think most of them fold up and isolate pretty well. Maybe an Ultrasone fan can provide an appropriate model number. I've got the Pro 750 closed model (as well as the Pro 2500 open model), but they're both more than your budget. Maybe Pro 550. I'm not sure what they sell for, but it's worth looking into. Ultrasone

The Pro 550s sound interesting. Would need to do a bit more research on them.

What aboud audio-technica offerings? do they have any good portable sets?

Oct 24, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #12 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by PuffyElvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use to travel constantly for my old job, 100k per year and so I faced a similar situation. I ultimately went with the Sennheiser HD-280 Pro's from Headroom. They have they most isolation out of any other closed back headphone and very nice (albeit colored) base response.

I had tried noise reduction headphones but they gave me this really weird sense, almost fatigue when I put them on. I found it immediately annoying.

I had tired IEMs, like the ER4s, but they would irritate my ear canal after extended wearing and were too much of a pain to take in and out everytime someone tried to say something to me. With the 280s, everyone knows you're wearing headphones and they leave you alone.

The 280's also fold flat or into a ball so their easy to pack as a carry on.

I already have gone through a set of hd-280 pro's. I want to try something new, but the portability of those is exactly what I am looking for.

Oct 24, 2008 at 7:45 PM Post #14 of 29
I fly a lot for my job. On an aeroplane I really think the only way to go is IEM's. Personally I swear by the Etymotic ER4ps. I've had them for about 5 years and have no intention of replacing them.

I think you'd be crazy not to give them (or ER-6s) a try.

Plus they fit in your pocket.

Oct 24, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #15 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by lwd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I fly a lot for my job. On an aeroplane I really think the only way to go is IEM's. Personally I swear by the Etymotic ER4ps. I've had them for about 5 years and have no intention of replacing them.

I think you'd be crazy not to give them (or ER-6s) a try.

Plus they fit in your pocket.

Agreed. I spent a few years looking for an ideal, portable, folding pair of closed headphones for air travel and finally gave up on them when I looked into cheap IEMs and realized that they worked rather well and were extremely portable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back