Frequencys/Songs with "effect" on the human body
Apr 8, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #136 of 144
I think that has to do more with the patterns than the frequency of the sound. Music is organized and it leads us through a melody phrase by phrase to a resolution. The best music does that in a way that isn't totally predictable. It adds variations that makes each verse a little different. Following that keeps a listener engaged and on his toes. It's like listening to a conversation without words... a language we were born understanding and as time goes by with more experience, understand even better.

The world seems so random to us a lot of the time. When we listen to music (or look at art) we are seeing organization being used to reveal something true. That gives us hope that the world may not be as random as it seems. Bach said, "The sole purpose of music is the glorification of God." I find the crystalline perfection of the organization in his music to be a human scaled model of what a grand universal force controlling everything might look like.
i'd bet it's both. certain frequencies may resonate with frequencies the brain operates on, and of course music is immensely more complex and really gets the brain fired up.

Apr 8, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #137 of 144
There are frequencies that I can't tolerate... there's a certain bass frequency that makes me feel claustrophobic- like I'm underwater. I don't know if you've seen Cabin in the Woods, but at the end when they are going to hell, there's a bass drone that drives me nuts. It may be that the brain reacts negatively to sustained frequencies more than it does positively. The thing in music that tickles me is variation.

Apr 9, 2023 at 12:26 AM Post #138 of 144
related to 7.83hz/432hz tuning i also come across a few times about mentions that the brain trys to sync to the schumann frequency to devirate our body functions like hearthbeat from it, so if its true that 432hz tuning is more in line with nature and the schumann frequency it could be the reason why our hearthbeat/blood pressure raises with 440hz tuning, atleast its a "interesting" and somewhat logical conclusion if its true that we have higher hearthrate/blood pressure (as some studys suggest) with 440hz tuning

tho instead of saying these are "facts" people should just try it for themself if they are curious
Once we get to this point of making a guess, then deciding that it's probably right because of some other guess based on any data that might be willing to fit the guess, I agree that the warning about not saying those are facts is most welcome.

All I could find about brain "rhythm":

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3553572/ No sign of one frequency to rule them all.

From somewhere else:
EEG rhythms can be broadly divided into those associated with an awake or activated brain and those associated with different stages of sleep [1]. Wakefulness is accompanied by fast, low-amplitude brain rhythms that are further segregated into “alpha” (alpha rhythm) (8–13 Hz), “beta” (13–35 Hz) and “gamma” waves (35 Hz and higher) [2]. Beta (beta rhythm) and gamma (gamma rhythm) waves are typically observed in alert wakefulness and during REM sleepwhile alpha waves are associated with quiet arousal – commonly with the eyes closed. The onset of sleep is...

And the one thing I could find that's a miss but almost could fit with a lot of imagination and cherry-picking:
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.aao3842 where they suggest that they manage to synchronize to the envelope of sound and only up to about 5Hz.

music is one of the only things that gets nearly all parts of the brain firing at once. it's powerful stuff to the brain, even if we don't understand why yet.
I have no idea if that is true. The visual cortex is the biggest area of the brain strictly dedicated to one of our senses, and all the research I have seen seems to involve more areas of the brain with sound only when speech is involved. With elaborated speech in a song referring to many things and maybe various activities and other senses, maybe you're correct? IDK and couldn't find a clear answer with my google-fu. I would have guessed that physical activities guided by vision would be the most demanding and engaging the most areas of the brain. But again, I have not found anything to confirm or reject that guess.

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:03 AM Post #139 of 144
If it's pattern recognition, it wouldn't be related to a specific sense. There are visual patterns that are appealing and musical patterns that are appealing too. There are even patterns in speech with poetry. Not sure what part of the brain relates to recognizing and interacting with patterns.

Apr 9, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #140 of 144
If it's pattern recognition, it wouldn't be related to a specific sense. There are visual patterns that are appealing and musical patterns that are appealing too. There are even patterns in speech with poetry. Not sure what part of the brain relates to recognizing and interacting with patterns.
The brain doesn't necessarily restrain senses to a specific area. Well it does, but then what that information evokes based on pattern/memory can and will often activate areas that it associates with the memory. Like seeing food and being able to "smell" it in our mind. It's the story about senses and biases all over again and people "hearing" things that aren't in the music, because imagining hearing it triggers areas similar to actually hearing it. For the subject, the experience caused by a mix of visual cues and some marketing priming does end up as an experience of "sounding" different. Anytime something like that happens, and one sensory input calls for others, a bunch of activity that isn't strictly in the sensory or memory areas will light up.
All that probably caused a lot of debate on the observation window to decide what was strictly causing activity, what was reacting to it, and then, thinking about it and other things connected to it in our memories?

Apr 9, 2023 at 5:06 AM Post #141 of 144
Yeah, I suspect that the appeal of music is connected to a higher level of brain activity than just the perception of specific frequencies. Music has multiple qualities that are all balanced with contrasts, structure and texture... just like all forms of artistic expression from easel painting to dance to architecture.

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:44 AM Post #142 of 144
I have no idea if that is true. The visual cortex is the biggest area of the brain strictly dedicated to one of our senses, and all the research I have seen seems to involve more areas of the brain with sound only when speech is involved. With elaborated speech in a song referring to many things and maybe various activities and other senses, maybe you're correct? IDK and couldn't find a clear answer with my google-fu. I would have guessed that physical activities guided by vision would be the most demanding and engaging the most areas of the brain. But again, I have not found anything to confirm or reject that guess.

The belt and parabelt are located on the right side of the brain. They are mainly responsible for figuring out a song’s rhythm. When creating rhythm by tapping toes or beating a drum, the motor cortex and cerebellum get involved.

The recognition and understanding of pitch and tone are mainly handled by the auditory cortex. This part of the brain also does a lot of the work to analyze a song’s melody and harmony. Some research shows that the cerebellum and prefrontal cortex contribute, too.

Research shows our brains create expectations when listening to a song. For example, it would figure out if a beat is steady or the melody makes sense. But we especially like it when songs surprise us with smart, quirky changes. This analysis takes place in the brain’s prefrontal cortex.

People have an amazing ability to remember music. Chances are you can recognize your favorite song after hearing just a fragment. These memories are stored in the hippocampus. Musical acts like reading music, playing an instrument, and dancing fires up the cerebellum, motor cortex, sensory cortex, and visual cortex.

Music has the power to trigger feelings in listeners. Three main areas of the brain are responsible for these emotional responses: nucleus accumbens, amygdala, and the cerebellum.

Apr 9, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #143 of 144

Music activates just about all of the brain​

Music has been shown to activate some of the broadest and most diverse networks of the brain. Of course, music activates the auditory cortex in the temporal lobes close to your ears, but that’s just the beginning. The parts of the brain involved in emotion are not only activated during emotional music, they are also synchronized. Music also activates a variety of memory regions. And, interestingly, music activates the motor system. In fact, it has been theorized that it is the activation of the brain’s motor system that allows us to pick out the beat of the music even before we start tapping our foot to it!

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/why-is-music-good-for-the-brain-2020100721062

Apr 9, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #144 of 144
That makes sense. That’s probably why we experience music in different ways all at once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back