Freezing or cooling headphones?
Aug 26, 2011 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TiestoFan

100+ Head-Fier
I was referred here by another part of the forum.

Has anyone ever tried putting their sony-xb500s or any other headphones for that matter in the fridge for an hour or so? i heard it has some minor protective effects on the electronics and makes the sound better (not to mention must feel nice when you put them back on)

Any truth to this or is it complete BS, is it possible that this could ruin the headphones?

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 10
Pull up the manufacturer's specs and look for the temperature range. You'll have your answer.

I can think of one benefit, though. Refrigerators are great for drying things out. If your headband or cups are sweaty, it'll pull the moisture out.

Aug 26, 2011 at 3:41 AM Post #3 of 10
...Unless you're in a humid country, like mine. In which case, DON'T put headphones in the fridge, because condensation will have a field day on the circuitry when they're removed from the cold.

Aug 27, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 10
One good solution to the problem of cooling headphones in humid locales may be easier than you might think.

Instead of putting the refrigerator in the upper portion of the refrigerator, put in a ziploc bag and place it the crisper tray. Crispers are usually located on the lowest part of a refrigerator, away from the cooling elements, and therefore ideal for headphones. Adding an additional layer to to the ziploc bag - a plain paper bag - will absorb any additional moisture. If you're lucky to have access to a room-sized cooling chamber, like the bulk section of a good natural foods store, you can listen to music while customers choose their favorite grains and seeds. If you have a good portable amp, you'll be in heaven.

Aug 27, 2011 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? Cryoed headphones!

Great idea, soak them in liquid helium for an hour and turn them into super-conductors!!! You might have to turn your amp down a bit but in hot weather they would sure keep your ears nice and cool! :D

G

Aug 28, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 10
I suppose if your headphones were too warm sounding....
[/pun]

Aug 29, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #8 of 10
I'm certain that whatever minor effect cooling has on the electrical performance of headphones will be undoubtedly be overshadowed by the change in modulus of elasticity of the suspension of the diaphragm in a moving coil design, or the damping material in a planar headphone.

You will effectively increase the damping of the diaphragm.  How much, I'm not sure.  That depends on the materials, although I wouldn't expect very large differences.

Sep 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
hhaha liquid helium will harden the speaker driver and thus not able to vibrate and make sound. might even crack and shatter the drivers. :D

That's why you'd be best advised to use Dr. Dre Beats if you propose to dunk your phones in liquid helium. It's no great loss if the plastic headbands crack, since it's going to happen anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back