Free Shuffle needs software, suggestions please.
Apr 13, 2008 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

20nickels

New Head-Fier
I was given an Ipod Shuffle, I don't know the HD capacity Mod # A1204. I have no software for it. I want to listen to a CD or two on it at good resolution, but it does not need to be a perfect 1 to 1.

Phones are Shure E4's
cool.gif
. I know absolutely zero about getting data on and off of this thing I checked out Rockbox, they did not seem to have anything for the Schuffle.

Please suggest a software and resolution to use. Tks ahead, Nickels.

Apr 14, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 14
I would suggest Shuffle DB builder too. It is super nice. You just drag and drop your files and run a small Python script (I think there is an exe script too).
-Rasmus

Apr 16, 2008 at 11:27 AM Post #6 of 14
a quick ebay search for "shuffle A1204" returned a few auctions for 2nd generation 1 gig ipod shuffles.

The shuffles don't have a harddrive, they use built-in Flash memory.

How many songs you can shove into your shuffle depends upon the size/quality of the songs. The higher the quality, the bigger the file size and the fewer that'll fit in your player.

Shure e4s are pretty nice phones. They are miles beyond the quality of sound that comes out of the "stock earbuds" or anything that you can pick up at walmart for $20. I mention this simply because they will exaggerate the poor quality of lower bitrate music.

The Shure phones are also isolating in design. the better the quality of seal or fit, the better the quality of sound they will produce for you. When inserted properly, they should "muffle" outside noises, like wearing ear plugs.

Mp3 are "compressed" versions of the songs. The lower the bitrate, the smaller the file, but the worse the quality. People will throw around numbers like 256, 128, 192...320. Some people will even drop "lossless" in your lap.

Anything below 128 is comparable to FM quality and will sound like crap with your player.
192 is a great compromise of file size and quality for non critical listening.
256 and 320 is near CD quality (its really hard to discern the difference between the two in loud environments where you will probably be using your portable rig).
Lossess are CD quality and the largest of file sizes. These aren't a compressed format like mp3, they are flac or aac. I think media monkey calls their format ape.

Now, how do you get your favorite CDs onto that little shuffle?

You'll need a ripper and the software for sync'ing. Itunes does both, Media monkey does both. They have excellent "help" sections and just google'ing your question will provide you tons of guides or how-to's. "how to rip a CD in itunes" will yield about a gazillion results.

Welcome to the world of portable audio. Its not a complicated as it sounds.

*Insert joke about your soon to be empty wallet here*

May 21, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #10 of 14
i use to use Anapod to drag&drop on my 1st gen shuffle. worked great IMO. it also worked for my 5g ipod video too.

May 21, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #11 of 14
I loathe iTunes, but alas with a third-generation Nano I am stuck with it. Nothing else will work. =(

May 21, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by 20nickels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tks to all. Now rockin' with Media Monkey.
smily_headphones1.gif

You're welcome!
Took you more than a month, but you finally got there..
wink.gif

May 24, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh you are on windows? yeah, any of the above. i love using itunes but some hate it for some reason. i did not like meda monkey but if you likes it

Yes, I am on windows. Should have mentioned that, never crossed my mind (computeraudionoob). It's not that I love or hate anything Mediamonkey just looked good, you have to start somewhere, right? I guess I-tunes would have worked I just wanted more choices.
Scottiebaby,
Anapod? Drag and drop sounds tasty. Will have to check it out.

May 24, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #14 of 14
you can really "drag and drop" like Scottiebaby was talking about in most of the software options (including itunes). its just dragging and dropping within the software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back