Free Grados!
Jul 25, 2002 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

HeadShock

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, it’s the first time I have posted in this forum. Maybe someone can help me.

I have been using B&O Form 2 ‘phones for the past few years and absolutely love them. Great sound, comfortable. lightweight etc. etc. After reading a lot of good things about Grado SR60s I thought I would give them a try. Unfortunately I have to say that the sound is no where near as satisfying as the BO’s. Now I know that most people in this forum will disagree with this so maybe there is something I am doing wrong or perhaps they need a run in time or something like that. I am listening through Marantz SR4200 and a NAD C350 amps as well as a Panasonic ct790 portable. I listen to just about every style of music and everything sounds well...er…..'less’ through the Grados.

Hope you can help. If not, does anyone want a used pair or Grados? Only two weeks old!

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 8
Headshock,
You never have to feel badly about the way things sound to you. You're the guy who has to listen to the stuff you have so buy and listen to what pleases your ear. Sound is a pretty individual thing, and headphone sound even more so. There are a number of things that no doubt contribute to your conclusions. Enjoy! You can post a for sale notice for your Grados in the FS forum.
Cheers, and happy listening!!
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/forumd...?s=&forumid=14

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks kwkarth,

That was a quick reply!

Guess you are right. Sound IS an individual thing.

I just wondered why so many people rave about these phones.

Another question - would I see an improvement with a dedicated headphone amp?

Jul 25, 2002 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Generally speaking you'll see an improvement with an amp. I briefly owned a pair of 60s and thought they could be driven quite effectively without one, so I tend to think that if you don't like them now, you won't like them much better with an amp. Like Kwkarth said, you have to go with your ears.

Jul 25, 2002 at 4:02 PM Post #6 of 8
I agree with acs236. Generally, most any headphone will tend to sound better with a good headphone amp, but the lower end Grados tend to sound pretty good (relatively speaking) without a dedicated amp as well, so if you don't like them now, you probably won't like them any better with a dedicated headphone amp.

If you could be more specific about what you like about your B&O's and what you don't like about the Grado's, you may get some good suggestions regarding more of the type of sound that you like.

Regards,

Jul 25, 2002 at 6:02 PM Post #7 of 8
Well the sr60's don't seem to have much bass in them. Is that why you don't like them?

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back