Free Burn-in Files
Jan 16, 2010 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 89

PelPix

100+ Head-Fier
All files have been professionally synthesized in stereo to the greatest of mathematical precision. There are no repeating parts, as found in a lot of so-called noise files today. They are 44.1kHz 16-bit stereo wav files. These contain rest periods of 30 seconds.

Logarithmic sine (Up from 30hz)
http://www.mediafire.com/?30ommiwwe1j

Arithmetic sine (Up from 30hz)
http://www.mediafire.com/?zxmwydmiwzj

Pink noise:
pink.zip

White noise:
white.zip

I'll take requests for certain waveforms or frequencies/sweeps at any time.
All in all, it depends on your taste. I recommend downloading the pink noise and logarithmic sine and putting them on a looping playlist.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 89
I have been wondering about burn-in and the sound you use for it.

From what I understand bur-in is a process of loosening/ coming to its final state of physical condition. Which basically means the headphones/ drivers have to work for some time to get all parts adjusted to a state in which they then stay 'forever'.

Understanding it this way leads me to believe that it should not matter what kind of music you liten to/ use to burn the thingies in.

Maybe I am wrong, just my personal impression.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #4 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Szadzik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been wondering about burn-in and the sound you use for it.

From what I understand bur-in is a process of loosening/ coming to its final state of physical condition. Which basically means the headphones/ drivers have to work for some time to get all parts adjusted to a state in which they then stay 'forever'.

Understanding it this way leads me to believe that it should not matter what kind of music you liten to/ use to burn the thingies in.

Maybe I am wrong, just my personal impression.

If you burn in with something that isn't equal over all frequencies, the final sound could become biased towards the frequencies that are loudest, and the response would not be flat until much, much longer, or not at all! As far as I know, at least
I've used a lot of burn-in files posted on this site. A lot of them have repeating patterns in the noise at some points. These have no repeating patterns whatsoever.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #5 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by kunalraiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have download the files,do we just use all of them in repeat all mode.

You can. White noise is for mathematical flatness. Pink noise is for logarithmic flatness to the human ear.
I recommend using only the pink noise file, but that's just me.
Using extremely simple terms, you could consider the logarithmic sine wave to serve the same purpose as pink noise, and the arithmetic sine wave to serve the same purpose as white noise.
Take your pick.

Jan 16, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by PelPix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can. White noise is for mathematical flatness. Pink noise is for logarithmic flatness to the human ear.
I recommend using only the pink noise file, but that's just me.
Using extremely simple terms, you could consider the logarithmic sine wave to serve the same purpose as pink noise, and the arithmetic sine wave to serve the same purpose as white noise.
Take your pick.

I downloaded them all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Burning my MS1 right now. I have to cover them up with a pillow because the noise is a bit annoying.
tongue.gif

Jan 16, 2010 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 89
You could consider that pink noise will sound flat, but won't be flat to measurement instruments, because it's logarithmic, like all systems of sound.
White noise won't sound flat, but it will be flat to instruments, as they are usually arithmetic
This is why it is suggested you use pink noise. You're looking for the best listening experience, not measuring with equipment.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #11 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by PelPix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Logarithmic sine (Up from 30hz)
sinearith2.zip

Arithmetic sine (Up from 30hz)
sinelog2.zip

Just a heads up - it looks like you switched around the logarithmic and arithmetic sine links judging by the filenames.

Thanks for posting these.

Jan 16, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #13 of 89
Thanks for the files. These are what I've been looking for. Now I can throw them at my AKG702's.
smily_headphones1.gif
I had selected a wide cross section of music to be looped in a playlist.

Jan 22, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #15 of 89
Nice, I'm going to use this pink noise quite a bit to break in these K702's

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roscoeiii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And what volumes are recommended for burn-in?

Usually a little above standard listening volumes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back