free broadband internet radio?
post-183177
Post #1 of 4

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Reaction score
(Please note: This isn't really a "let's all complain about legislation and then have a legal and political debate type thread. I'm looking for content so if you don't mind, turn down the politics for this one.)

At one time there was a search engine for internet broadcasters on the web. I could type in (for example) "progressive AND metal" and a list of stations would come down. The list had one column for which formats they supported (ie, WinAmp, Real, etc) and one for bandwidths supported. Using this, I was able to listen to 160k streams of music I actually liked.

This *seems* to have vanished. I can find lots of low bandwidth (~30k) streams on Real format and Windows format but that's been about the extent of my luck lately.

Anyone know of any good broadband internet radio stations and/or search engines around that provide what I once had hold of?

post-183180
Post #2 of 4

Sol_Zhen

Takes his kids to the natatorium every morning.
Reaction score
My favorites are on shoutcast . They're streaming MP3 format stations searchable by category and/or bitrate and you use the ubiquitous WinAmp MP3 player to listen.

The stations over 128kps sound quite good.

Another source is the radio locator . However, you'll get a mish-mash of quality.

[edit] I thought you didn't have broadband in the People's Republic of Texas?

post-183183
Post #3 of 4

kelly

Herr Babelfish der Übersetzer, he wore a whipped-cream-covered tutu for this title.
Reaction score
Quote:

Originally posted by Sol_Zhen
My favorites are on shoutcast . They're streaming MP3 format stations searchable by category and/or bitrate and you use the ubiquitous WinAmp MP3 player to listen.

The stations over 128kps sound quite good.

Another source is the radio locator . However, you'll get a mish-mash of quality.

[edit] I thought you didn't have broadband in the People's Republic of Texas?

I don't have broadband in my apartment.

Thanks, I'll look at shoutcast. It seems I had very bad luck with radio-locator.

edit: Ah, Shoutcase IS the one I used to use. Not as many stations as there used to be, though.

post-183245
Post #4 of 4

SBomm

500+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
A great station is www.kexp.org
Their variety of music is incredible!
Streaming in about 8 different formats/compressions including and uncompressed stream.
There is a complete realtime playlist that is also archived back several months.
A new feature is all shows from the last two weeks are archived and avilable on demand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)