Free Audio test CD to download
Feb 28, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #16 of 22
Here is a free collection of test files from the European Broadcast Union designed to serve as standardized testing files. They are from the EBUS SQAM CD and are posted on the EBU's own site.

Sound Quality Assessment Material (SQAM)

In includes a variety of acoustic instruments, speech and tones for use in compression testing, linearity checks, etc.

The only downside is that the the EBU didn't include a number of tracks for copyright reasons.

Feb 28, 2007 at 8:01 PM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if each frequency is audible to me in all of the tracks of the cd,it's good thing right?

Not necessarily!

Certain digital processes can alias high frequencies and make them "audible". For instance, I can't hear 15K to any appreciable degree, but if I turn on the iPod EQ, it garbles the audio signal such that I can hear horrible artifacts of the 15K signal but I'm not actually hearing a 15K tone. The same is true for the "skip protection" mode of an old Panasonic portable CD player I have.

Feb 28, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #18 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundEdit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not necessarily!

Certain digital processes can alias high frequencies and make them "audible". For instance, I can't hear 15K to any appreciable degree, but if I turn on the iPod EQ, it garbles the audio signal such that I can hear horrible artifacts of the 15K signal but I'm not actually hearing a 15K tone. The same is true for the "skip protection" mode of an old Panasonic portable CD player I have.

Interesting.. i should do the test again when my DAC come

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:12 AM Post #22 of 22
For the binkster website, download the .doc file somewhere at the bottom of the page. It explains what each track is for. Read it, and you'll know which ones are potentially dangerous to your sound equipment... such as the square waves...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back