Freakwater + Califone = Thinking of You
Mar 8, 2006 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Davey

Headphoneus Supremus
This has been out for months and where have I been? Anyone heard it yet? Supposedly Califone doesn't really take the ladies in any new directions, just intensifies that Appalachian folk sound behind their strong vocals. Think this album might be in my near future...

f_toyposter.jpg

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 11
Wicked, Davey.
It looks demented -- but in a nice way.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 11
It's a great Freakwater album, but I still think their best is "Feels Like The Third Time". Your assessment is correct in that Califone really pulls some nice instrumentation from them, but it's still pure Freakwater. If you like them, you'll love the record.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 11
Hey astaireboy, thanks for the reply. Almost forgot about this post
smily_headphones1.gif

I always liked Old Paint a lot, but might actually like the last one the best. It was so long ago now though. End Time. I have it on vinyl but I think someone told me the CD was HDCD. Sounds pretty nice in any case. What the sound like on this new one? Looks like Roger Seibel mastered this one too and he does some good work. I tend to be a little bigger fan of Janet's work with Rick Rizzo and the Tortoise guy John McEntire with Eleventh Dream Day (who I just coincidentally and surprisingly heard have a new album coming out next month and it'll surely be near the top of my wishlist), but it's all good.

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #5 of 11
Hey Davey, I'm going to have to pickup the Eleventh Dream Day album! Thanks for the heads up... I miss them!
etysmile.gif

I actually think the sound on Thinking of You might be their best. The recording is very "lush" (for them). it has a warmth that engulfs you.. I think lyrically, I prefer the older stuff, though, which may be why this isn't my favorite from them (but still great nonetheless).

P.S. Isnt' Geek the Girl one of the most amazing albums ever recorded? Just noticed in your heavy rotation. A Psychopath runs chills down my spine and ...of love and colors, well, it can bring a hopeful tear to the eye.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:27 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by astaireboy
P.S. Isnt' Geek the Girl one of the most amazing albums ever recorded? Just noticed in your heavy rotation. A Psychopath runs chills down my spine and ...of love and colors, well, it can bring a hopeful tear to the eye.

Yeah, you said it! One of the top albums of the 90s for sure. Really has that timeless quality that some of the best have. Did you ever hear the one she did with the Giant Sand/Calexico guys? Think I talked about it here recently, but it was under the OP8 name. Called Slush. They really fit well together. I didn't actually get too into her last one, not sure why. Has all the right stuff including Johnny Marr and Neil Finn and more. Might not have given it enough slack. Just seemed too morose without the inventiveness of Geek to balance it out.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Davey
Did you ever hear the one she did with the Giant Sand/Calexico guys? Think I talked about it here recently, but it was under the OP8 name. Called Slush. They really fit well together. I didn't actually get too into her last one, not sure why. Has all the right stuff including Johnny Marr and Neil Finn and more. Might not have given it enough slack. Just seemed too morose without the inventiveness of Geek to balance it out.

OP8's album was fantastic. I saw her perform at a small club with Joey Burns... very cool. It was for the Geek tour, but they played some of the OP8 songs as well.

Also, couldn't agree more on Lullaby For Liquid Pig. I tried and tried again to get into it, but always found myself listening to Geek, Love Circus or Happiness...

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 11
to carry on with the current thread hijack...there's a new Lisa Germano album due out on Young God Records anytime now...their releases always have a great dark and deep sound that I'm excited to hear with her stuff. I still haven't heard the Freakwater/Califone recording but'd like to. I most often listen to Old Paint from Freakwater...'You are my Heroine' blows me away everytime and the 'Dancing Underwater' album is amazing too but almost too sad.

Mar 14, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
to carry on with the current thread hijack...there's a new Lisa Germano album due out on Young God Records anytime now...their releases always have a great dark and deep sound that I'm excited to hear with her stuff.

That does sound like a good match ...

Lisa Germano in the maybe world
http://www.younggodrecords.com/LisaGermano.asp

I am incredibly proud and pleased to announce that Young God Records will be releasing the new album by lisa germano in late June/early July '06. The album is titled "in the maybe world" . I have been a fan of lisa's music for years. Her songs are impossibly poignant and often heartbreakingly beautiful. She's a great lyricist and singer but also an extremely talented instrumentalist. She seems to play violin, piano/keyboards and guitar with equal authority, as well as producing her own records with great imaginative effect - the result is seductive and truly magical. No one sounds like her. You get the feeling you're walking through her dreams as you listen. The intensity of feeling in her singing is a little frightening sometimes - it's like she's singing very close to your ear, leading you through her world.

- Thanks! Michael R. Gira/YGR

sund_663_european.jpg

Mar 15, 2006 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 11
Young God is quickly becoming a favorite label. First Swans (of course), Angels of Light (again, of course) and then Devendra Barnhart (!), Akron/Family (!) and now Lisa Germano (!)... woo-hoo!

Mar 16, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #11 of 11
Yep! (of course). Young God is consistently putting out amazing stuff, plus Michael Gira's (literal) fingerprint is on all the releases and he's got a great ear and eye. Pretty much every cd I've ordered from them - Mi and Lau, Akron/Family, Angels of Light, and Devendra, have come signed and editioned by the man himself...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back