Frankenheiser (or maybe Hellheiser), way of fixing broken HD650 headband cheap and dirty
Nov 18, 2012 at 2:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NelsonVandal

1000+ Head-Fier
After thousands and thousands of hours my HD650's headband snapped. A complete headband is the equivalent of 160 USD + shipping costs in Sweden. The phones are so worn down it's just not worth it. I've tried to convince myself that the Denon AH-D2000 I just bought second hand sounds just as good or even better, but it simply doesn't. So I fixed it cheap and dirty with 40 x 2 mm aluminium bars. Total cost was about 10 USD. It's heavier and not easy adjustable, but I've made it a perfect fit for my head.

Nov 18, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #2 of 7
eek.gif
 that looks evil... well at least no more chipping paint
biggrin.gif

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #4 of 7
That's so awesome! Comfy?

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #5 of 7
Yes, they're very comfortable. Except for the weight there's no difference. I think I was lucky to get the bend and pressure to the head to fit my head perfectly.

The weight is 350 grams so it's + 90 grams.

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:42 PM Post #6 of 7
Can you give us a little more detailed instructions in how you did it? For example was the aluminum pre-bent or if not how did you bend it to fit the correct shape?
TIA

Nov 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Can you give us a little more detailed instructions in how you did it? For example was the aluminum pre-bent or if not how did you bend it to fit the correct shape?
TIA

No, I bought a long straight bar. I used my bare hands and a couple of strokes with a small sledgehammer and bent it against a toroid transformer (a smaller one than in the picture above). It would've been better to use a cylinder with a smoother surface. I used countersunk screws and locking nuts, and to get an appropriate distance between the bars I used foam tape pads.

I think it's probably better to use half the thickness, easier to bend and lighter, but they didn't have that size.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back