FPS gamer in search of headphones
Sep 9, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #16 of 24
I prefer a desktop mic so I'm indifferent to my headphones having/not having one. ...I keep hearing about the AD700s, someone even mentioned them at the urbanterror.net forums. I'm back to being indecisive :p

As far as leakage goes it's not an issue cause unfortunately there are no Urban Terror LAN parties that I can attend
frown.gif

If possible, how can one determine the soundstage of headphones before using them? What is it about headphones that change the width, depth, and height of the soundstage?

Oh yea, I forgot to mention that I don't plan on getting a headphone amp. If I absolutely have to I will, but I'm hoping to find a pair of headphones that perform to my needs without one. Does the AD700 or PC350 work well without an amp?

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:46 AM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by robertclarke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If possible, how can one determine the soundstage of headphones before using them? What is it about headphones that change the width, depth, and height of the soundstage?

There are all sorts of little tricks headphone manufacturers use: angled drivers, filter layers, distance from driver to ear, internal reflectors etc.

Sep 9, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Does the AD700 or PC350 work well without an amp?

Yes. the AD700 is far better than the PC350 for both FPS gaming and music. The entire Sennheiser PC# range is crap tbh. the AD700 do lack bass however quantity wise but you can EQ bass. You can't EQ soundstage. Trust me. the AD700 is one of the widest left to right soundstages you're going to get out of any headphone and particularly at that price range.

Sep 9, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

I prefer a desktop mic so I'm indifferent to my headphones having/not having one. ...I keep hearing about the AD700s, someone even mentioned them at the urbanterror.net forums. I'm back to being indecisive :p

Now I feel sorry for your teammates!
icon10.gif

Go with the AD700's then if you don't need a mic.

Sep 9, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #21 of 24
I have the AD700, and i was blown away by the sound quality it gave.
As far as gaming is concerned, my kill to death ratio went from 1:1 to 2-3:1 and sometimes 5:1 with the AD700. I became a lot better at Counter Strike 1.6 and my reaction times increased dramaticaly. Couple months back, i paid $90 + $10 shipping new from amazon, at that time it was the lowest price offerd on amazon for new. Now seeing that it is $86, have no doubts, it is the best $100 cans i heard.

Sep 9, 2009 at 5:35 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by kboe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It may not work for you but I enjoy the Halo games using my Grado SR-80s. They match the budget, and for me at least, image well enough to know where sounds are coming from, (Flood sounds freak me out). I have also tried my Denons and Senns, but the Grados work best for me. Plus they are light weight and comfortable.

Kevin,
Sorry about your wallet!

Not exactly my cup of tea, the sr80s are not really comfy. If he stomach over the ears, I suggest the Sennheiser hd 485. You've got a nice soundstage, great bass, and my my my they are so light and comfy you can wear them for hours and hours and not worry about anything else but who just fragged you

Sep 14, 2009 at 8:31 PM Post #24 of 24
I love my Beyer's.
biggrin.gif
They're SO comfortable, accurate, boomy, and fun. Not to mention bomb proof. Although, even games seem to benefit from amping...that is the 250Ohm version. I use the Zalman mic too.

Combined w/ an X-Fi, CMSS3D, and a good audio shooter like F.E.A.R., it's almost like cheating.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back