fourplay, sanborn, the rippingtons, bob james?..
Jul 8, 2002 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
I like coltrane and some of the older jazz stuff....but how about the new guys?
md

Jul 8, 2002 at 6:49 PM Post #2 of 26
Listening right now to Norman Brown "Just Between Us". It was in the Mystery Box that came today. This may be a keeper.

Jul 9, 2002 at 1:06 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
I like coltrane and some of the older jazz stuff....but how about the new guys?
md

Bob James and David Sanborn aren't what I'd call new--they've both been around for a while. Sanborn has some decent jazz stuff (he's even played on a Tim Berne album!), but for the rest, I'll pass.

Jul 9, 2002 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 26
I would say alot of Coltrane's music is alot "newer" sounding than any of the artists you mentioned.
wink.gif

Jul 9, 2002 at 9:48 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
I would say alot of Coltrane's music is alot "newer" sounding than any of the artists you mentioned.
wink.gif

I agree--try "Interstellar Space" for a real ear-opening experience. Something that you won't get with Bob James, etc.

Jul 9, 2002 at 11:10 PM Post #6 of 26
John_jcb,
that was one of my contributions to the Box.
I just got into Coltrane late. I was weaned on Bob James, Larry Carlton, Tom Scott, Sanborn, The Crusaders, George Benson and such and wondered if anyone else was interested in them.
Musicians like Earl Klugh and Lee Ritenour got me chasing some jazz...then I found Manhatten Transfer.
Just wondering what other people thought about them.
Perhaps we can go in a different direction and ask what led you to jazz?
thanks,
md

Jul 9, 2002 at 11:27 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

John_jcb,
thanks,
md

Easy---the Blue Note label. I started buying cutouts, and then Japanese/French Blue Note reissues in the late 1970s/early 1980s. Also, when Fantasy started issuing the OJC series, it led me to Bill Evans (Explorations is one of my favorite records--great version of Miles' "Nardis"), and of course, to Monk.

Now, while I still listen to some classic stuff, my main tastes go towards free improvisation.

Jul 9, 2002 at 11:33 PM Post #8 of 26
I tried some T. Monk...I think I need some crossfeed in my hp amp. Very difficult for me to listen to.
I find it difficult to find chronological discographies of guys like Parker and Coltrane. Seems like there are ten gagillion cds with over lapping recordings.
I guess I should just plunge!
md

Jul 9, 2002 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

I tried some T. Monk...I think I need some crossfeed in my hp amp. Very difficult for me to listen to.
I find it difficult to find chronological discographies of guys like Parker and Coltrane. Seems like there are ten gagillion cds with over lapping recordings.
I guess I should just plunge!
md

Actually, one of the best Monk albums isn't by Monk--it's by Steve Lacy. It's called "Reflections" and its part of the OJC label. Lacy is best known for his later, more avant-guard stuff, but he's always been a Monk disciple. Give it a try.

Regarding Parker/Coltrane, Coltrane's discography is in better shape than Parker's, I agree. However, if you want to try Parker get a two disc set of the best of his Savoy/Dial stuff. The sound quality isn't that great, but his playing is utterly amazing. For Coltrane, why not start on his Atlantic stuff, like "My Favorite Things," Coltrane's Sound," or one of my favorite jazz records of all time, "Giant Steps."

Jul 10, 2002 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 26
Good suggestions here so far.

Just wanted to add that I wasn't impressed with Bob James...I picked up the "Obsessions" album, and thought I stepped into the 80's pop rock/new wave scene, and almost fell out of my chair scrambling to turn it off! Maybe his other stuff is good, but now I'm afraid to try, haha.

Jul 10, 2002 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

thanks,
md

I was introduced to Jazz at a very young age by my father. He had an extensive record collection including Tommy Dorsey, Count Basie, Benny Goodman etc. He had an entire cabinet of records perhaps 200-300 that he would play at night. My memories are from the mid 50s to the mid 60s. I think back wishing I had paid more attention. He would talk about each as if they were close friends.

Then came the mid 60s and I drifted away. Hendrix and Clapton replaced the old Jazz greats. My father took ill in the early 70s and my Mother hastily sold almost everything and they moved from the farm to a condo. His record collection along with hundreds of classic baseball cards disappeared in the sales.

My return to Jazz was very recent. In fact it was after reading some of Coolvij's (sp?) passionate posts relative to Coltrane that I wandered over to the Jazz section at Best Buy and picked up The Ultimate Blue Train.

Listening to him brought back memories of cold rainy Pacific Northwest nights, my fathers comments and his ever present cigar. I wish I had asked him what he was thinking as he would sit there listening occasionally sipping on a whiskey.

Oh well I better end before I ramble on about talking to your parents while you can.

Jul 12, 2002 at 10:08 AM Post #12 of 26
My father sings Japanese karaoke music.
I listened to jazz mostly by myself(high school) as friends were still into metal and such. I can still remember going cruzin with friends asking me What is that? hehe.
md

"Whip up some steaming Jazz" "Kansas City to Brazil, it even gets you hot in your home." "

Jul 13, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #13 of 26
Damn computer aint working at all! Otherwise I woulda been all over this thread.....

Frankly, I just don't get how you can even think about some of that "modern" jazz. Or is it modern "jazz."

Especially after you hear Trane...!!!

So, I'll keep my mouth shut....

Jul 15, 2002 at 4:30 AM Post #14 of 26
Coltrane, I listen to.
The modern stuff I like, I can read while listening. How can I explain....I could never read while listening to Steely Dan or Rush. However, there are music with vocals that don't bother me while reading.
Perhaps I could call it "ambient" music. Still, there are some tracks that shine, songs that I "listen" to.
To put in perspective, I like LedZep and Hendrix, but I also got some Clash and Pearl Jam.
md

Jul 16, 2002 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

John_jcb,
that was one of my contributions to the Box.
I just got into Coltrane late. I was weaned on Bob James, Larry Carlton, Tom Scott, Sanborn, The Crusaders, George Benson and such and wondered if anyone else was interested in them.
Musicians like Earl Klugh and Lee Ritenour got me chasing some jazz...then I found Manhatten Transfer.
Just wondering what other people thought about them.
thanks,
md

Love Larry Carlton's solo projects, but haven't heard much of his stuff with Foreplay. Looking to find another copy of "Last Nite". I also pick up Earl Klugh now and then. Pat Metheny & Stanley Jordan, too. Can you tell I am a guitar kind of guy?

I used to pull Jazz shifts at the college radio station, way back when, and played alot of Jazz 'n Fusion (the above, as well as Spyro Gyra, SpecialFX, and the Yellow Jackets). Mainly stayed with guitars on my shifts because I didn't have access to much in the way of the traditional jazz (sorry Coolvij).

Love, Love, LUUUUV Manhatten Transfer. I want to get the Live in Tokyo concert on VHS (DVD if they release it). The Rhino "Down in Birdland" Box Set is a great way to get the whole variety of their sounds, even disco
eek.gif
( It also has a booklet with a bio of how they came about, and what the "mood" of each album is like). I was 15 when I first started listening to them ("Twilight Tone" & "Boy from New York City") and picked up "The Best of Manhatten Transfer" in college. I like anything with fun or romantic lyrics and that pretty much describes most of their stuff.

Heard any of their new releases like Spirit of St. Louis?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back