Found these "Do-It Yourself" Yuin PK3's on eBay and my question to you is: sketchy, or legit?
Dec 27, 2012 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

brad90y

New Head-Fier
Someone posted a link to these in the PK3 appreciate thread but no one's replied, so I'll ask here. There are these PK3's that are apparently legit, except the seller has added a shielded cable. Considering I'm new to this whole audiophile world, I'm completely confused.

From what I've read online, the Yuin PK3s sound amazing, but they break easily, people saying things like "after a few months I lost sound in the right/left jack", etc etc. Now my two questions for you are:

1) Does whatever that guy did to the Yuin's actually help them last longer? In other words, will the problems other people ran into be something I ruin into? One thing I don't get (and this will be a STUPID question is) how does shielding the cable prevent something like losing sound in a particular jack? Doesn't that depend on the design of the jack itself and not the shielding of the cable?

2) Does it look legit? I HATE buying things like earphones on eBay because of the fakes but with this I'm not sure.

Thank you Head-Fi!

Dec 27, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #3 of 15
The cable looks like good quality silver plated mini coaxial cable, so probably thicker, more durable, but also more microphonic. (Teflon tends to be stiff)

From the electrical standpoint, thicker cable would give you less resistance (maybe a ohm or two), so slightly better damping may be achieved.  The coax cable looks like it might have relatively high capacitance, which might affect stability of the headphone amp if not well designed, whether they sound better or not, I simply don't have a clue.

If all you are concerened about is the cable causing sound to cut out, these would probably fare better than stock cable though.

Dec 28, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #7 of 15
Well my PK3 from this seller just arrived. They look legit. The cable is as described and feels a lot more protected than stock. The plug is a solid chunk which is what I really like as this is what gave out on my last stock pair of PK3. In the package I got the earphones, full and donut foam covers, shirt clip and a nice little carry bag.

It's been a while since I had my original PK3 but generally these seem to have the same sound sig. However direct comparison with the PK2 I have now show up the inferior sound of the 3s. They are a bit more hollow and recessed. If you decide to get these I recommend the PK2 version. That's what I'll get next time.

Dec 28, 2012 at 2:16 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
Well my PK3 from this seller just arrived. They look legit. The cable is as described and feels a lot more protected than stock. The plug is a solid chunk which is what I really like as this is what gave out on my last stock pair of PK3. In the package I got the earphones, full and donut foam covers, shirt clip and a nice little carry bag.

It's been a while since I had my original PK3 but generally these seem to have the same sound sig. However direct comparison with the PK2 I have now show up the inferior sound of the 3s. They are a bit more hollow and recessed. If you decide to get these I recommend the PK2 version. That's what I'll get next time.

Which has better bass? Better treble?

Mar 4, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #10 of 15
I imagine in this context DIY refers to the fact that he popped the earbuds open and changed the cable himself, rather than him just sending everything to you and have you assemble it your self.

Mar 14, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #12 of 15
I just got in a pair I ordered a few weeks back about an hour ago.  I got the pk2 version, and I still have a pk3 I previously bought.  I can't make the best comparison needless to say b/c of that.  The pk2 DIY's music is more forward, more forceful, without the vocals getting lost in the music.  The pk3 seemed to have a better balance of music to vocals with the vocals being prominent, but I certainly feel more engaged, more enveloped, by the music with the pk2 DIY.

The material quality of the pk2 DIY feels better to me, the cable feeling sturdier than the stock pk3 cable.  There is no Yuin marking, on the DIY, with a simple slightly faded looking L & R to distinguish sides.  I made sure to buy mine from Dasetn, having seen a few mentions of the sound of their product being good.  I'd say for the cost, I paid slightly less than what I paid for the pk3, and am certainly enjoying it more on the few comparisons I've made so far.  On a side note, one I find amusing, the pk2 DIY came in a Beats IEM case.

Mar 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #13 of 15
Another note about the DIY PK2 I recieved, apparently when plugged into my phone, I lose sound on one side, and the person on the other end cannot hear me whatsoever, unlike normal headphones with no mic.  I guess that means the phone reads one of the channels as the mic line and gets confused.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #14 of 15
  Another note about the DIY PK2 I recieved, apparently when plugged into my phone, I lose sound on one side, and the person on the other end cannot hear me whatsoever, unlike normal headphones with no mic.  I guess that means the phone reads one of the channels as the mic line and gets confused.

How many rings does the 3.5mm plug have? If it is just 2, that is odd. If it is 3, that means that they used a plug that is meant for iems with mics on them. You can try plugging them in all the way then VERY slightly pull them out and see if that fixes anything.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #15 of 15
Just checked, 2 rings.  I don't really use my phone for music whatsoever so its not a big deal.  The jack might have had some issues I wasn't aware of at the time, I'll mess with it another time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back