FOUND: Cheap Power Cords (Iron Lung, Quail, etc)
Dec 13, 2007 at 1:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Jussei

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to pick up 3 'entry level' power cords.
I've got some Quails that I'm pleased with. I've heard good things about the Iron Lung Jellyfish too, but I'll entertain anything.
Let me know if you've upgraded power cables and have some 'lower tier' ones to sell.

EDIT: Head-Fi came through once again, thanks Gaara

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 16
I am not sure how much you want to spend, but Virtual Dynamics has power cables for half price. From $150 to $79. They are great cables, these are the guys who have a $13 000 dollar power cable, which is also half price. You can pick up the ones you mentioned for a lot less than $79 but I think these guys make better cables.

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Goldie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not sure how much you want to spend, but Virtual Dynamics has power cables for half price. From $150 to $79. They are great cables, these are the guys who have a $13 000 dollar power cable, which is also half price. You can pick up the ones you mentioned for a lot less than $79 but I think these guys make better cables.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check it out

Dec 14, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking to pick up 3 'entry level' power cords.
I've got some Quails that I'm pleased with. I've heard good things about the Iron Lung Jellyfish too, but I'll entertain anything.
Let me know if you've upgraded power cables and have some 'lower tier' ones to sell.

Quail hospital grade = SAME cable as Iron Lung minus the price.

If you want to spend $200 on 3 cables, I can vouch for Virtual Dynamics. My P3 power cord has opened up as of late, and is a very nice cable for the money.

I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to you.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So what did you settle on?

Hey Nick20,

I ended up picking up a few more Quails. I already owned two I got here on Head-Fi and I think that they made a noticeable sonic improvement over stock cables.
I've owned $300-$500 power cables and, even though I didn't A/B them with the Quails, I felt that the difference was so incredibly subtle or non-existent that their prices were not justifiable. I feel I can spend my money or better components or music.
There is a possibility that I just haven't found that 'magical' power cable, or perhaps my system(s) just aren't quality enough for the extremely expensive cables to show a real benefit, but I'm not sure that I believe that.
I'm sure the power journey is far from over and I'm sure I'll buy more high dollar PCs down the road when curiosity gets the best of me, but for now I'll put my faith in the Quail.
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jussei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Nick20,

I ended up picking up a few more Quails. I already owned two I got here on Head-Fi and I think that they made a noticeable sonic improvement over stock cables.
I've owned $300-$500 power cables and, even though I didn't A/B them with the Quails, I felt that the difference was so incredibly subtle or non-existent that their prices were not justifiable. I feel I can spend my money or better components or music.
There is a possibility that I just haven't found that 'magical' power cable, or perhaps my system(s) just aren't quality enough for the extremely expensive cables to show a real benefit, but I'm not sure that I believe that.
I'm sure the power journey is far from over and I'm sure I'll buy more high dollar PCs down the road when curiosity gets the best of me, but for now I'll put my faith in the Quail.
biggrin.gif

Good choice. Did you get the hospital grade cable? That's their best cable by a mile..

Dec 15, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #10 of 16
check out Signal Cable for power cords

signalcable.com

Dec 15, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes. They are 4ft 14 gauge with hospital grade plugs. Very nice PCs for the money.

Hmm.. not sure I was directing the question to you, but I guess your answer is better than no answer.
tongue.gif

This was clearly a question for Jussei.

Dec 15, 2007 at 6:24 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nick20 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm.. not sure I was directing the question to you, but I guess your answer is better than no answer.
tongue.gif

This was clearly a question for Jussei.

It's all good, he's the one that I bought them off of, so he would know.
biggrin.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 16
Hey all, was wondering if you could direct me to places selling the cheaper power chords (i.e. <$40).

I found the Iron Lung site, but it seems they no longer have that special where they sell for a pair.

Found quail's site..but saw ALOT of cables, couldn't tell which one was the same as the iron lung.

Dec 23, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 16
If you can wait my VD Power-1 is on the way, after a few days I could tell you my personal opinion, if this cable do not make me change my mind, I'm done with power cords for sure...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back