Found A Possible Fix For Slow / Laggy Fiio X5 III !!!
Feb 18, 2021 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jvos213

New Head-Fier
Background

The first thing I did when I got the X5 3rd Gen in 2018 was to install two large micro sd cards to hold all my lossless music... from that moment on my player became EXCRUCIATINGLY slow. Literally everything related to the UI became unusable - opening folders, scrolling anything, clicking on any menu item etc. After multiple tries over the last few years of reinstalling firmware, upgrading cards and following forum tips by removing 3rd party apps etc, nothing really worked and its just become that player which I hate and lives in a drawer.
Until today!

With no real plan and while looking online at the M11 (some complain of the same laggy UI behaviour), I fired up the x5 III again today and it was painfully slow as usual. No surprise. I started messing around in the settings and did something which by total fluke 100% fixed it. It is now quite unbelievably super snappy with zero lag and it plays better than it ever has! 'Overjoyed' would be an understatement! 😁

A warning - this method (if it works for you) will completely remove/uninstall and disable the Fiio Music app as well as the 'Pure Music Mode' option.

With regards to the Fiio Music app - I always knew it was running in the background hogging resources, but had no idea to what extent.

So here we go...

Method:

Some background info:

I personally use the unlocked PowerAmp player and it now works super fast, even with all album art and most files being FLAC. I suspect the same would apply to other third party player as well, but just in case - know that Poweramp works like a dream.
  • I use 2x SanDisk Extreme 400GB microSDXC Memory Cards
  • Android Version 5.1.1
  • Kernel Version 3.0.101+
  • Build Number 1.2.5
  • NOT rooted - the device is factory standard.
Procedure:

When I did this, my Android SETTINGS menu already had 'DEVELOPER OPTIONS' activated. Not sure if it was relevant, but it might have been. To enable this option:
  1. Go to "Settings", then tap "About device"
  2. Scroll down, then tap "Build number" seven times.
Then...
  1. In android mode go to the settings menu.
  2. In the settings menu scroll all the way down to 'About Device'
  3. Where it says 'Kernel Version' I simply tapped it repeatedly until I started getting the warning that FiiO Music will be uninstalled. So I kept tapping until it did exactly that.
and that is it!

Restart your device and fire up your favourite third party player with next to zero UI issues.
Be sure to keep the mode in 'Android Mode'.
If you accidentally selected 'Pure Music Mode', it will look just like the Android interface, but your third party apps will not open.

Keep in mind I did this today for the first time, so its not a try and tested method, so I really hope this helps someone else and if it does (or if it does not), please be sure to comment below to let others know.

Worst case - if it does not work for you, reinstall the firmware as no rooting is required to perform this procedure and reinstalling the latest firmware can be done by following the steps on the Fiio Website.

With that - I am off to enjoy what is essentially a new player! 🎧

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 6
Short update after a few hours of constant use:
  • So far the only noticeable downside is that the android settings menu takes a bit longer to open shortly after starting the device (the gear wheel in top right corner). If it shows blank, just give it a few seconds and all the items will load - after that its as fast as it should be.
  • The device feels noticeably cooler to the touch than before (at least to me it does).
  • I have not had a single UI related issue since I followed the procedure above. No stalls, crashes or lag and everything is working flawlessly and FAST!

• Ran the battery from full to empty playing only 24bit FLAC files through Poweramp using a mid range IEM at moderate level and gain set to low in this new 'android' mode. No Wifi or vsibile background processes and the display was on only to start the process and the battery lasted just over 7 hours. Keep in mind that this was a fresh charge on a device which has been 'dormant' for most of the last year an that it is not new.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #6 of 6
Background

The first thing I did when I got the X5 3rd Gen in 2018 was to install two large micro sd cards to hold all my lossless music... from that moment on my player became EXCRUCIATINGLY slow. Literally everything related to the UI became unusable - opening folders, scrolling anything, clicking on any menu item etc. After multiple tries over the last few years of reinstalling firmware, upgrading cards and following forum tips by removing 3rd party apps etc, nothing really worked and its just become that player which I hate and lives in a drawer.
Until today!

With no real plan and while looking online at the M11 (some complain of the same laggy UI behaviour), I fired up the x5 III again today and it was painfully slow as usual. No surprise. I started messing around in the settings and did something which by total fluke 100% fixed it. It is now quite unbelievably super snappy with zero lag and it plays better than it ever has! 'Overjoyed' would be an understatement! 😁

A warning - this method (if it works for you) will completely remove/uninstall and disable the Fiio Music app as well as the 'Pure Music Mode' option.

With regards to the Fiio Music app - I always knew it was running in the background hogging resources, but had no idea to what extent.

So here we go...

Method:

Some background info:

I personally use the unlocked PowerAmp player and it now works super fast, even with all album art and most files being FLAC. I suspect the same would apply to other third party player as well, but just in case - know that Poweramp works like a dream.
  • I use 2x SanDisk Extreme 400GB microSDXC Memory Cards
  • Android Version 5.1.1
  • Kernel Version 3.0.101+
  • Build Number 1.2.5
  • NOT rooted - the device is factory standard.
Procedure:

When I did this, my Android SETTINGS menu already had 'DEVELOPER OPTIONS' activated. Not sure if it was relevant, but it might have been. To enable this option:
  1. Go to "Settings", then tap "About device"
  2. Scroll down, then tap "Build number" seven times.
Then...
  1. In android mode go to the settings menu.
  2. In the settings menu scroll all the way down to 'About Device'
  3. Where it says 'Kernel Version' I simply tapped it repeatedly until I started getting the warning that FiiO Music will be uninstalled. So I kept tapping until it did exactly that.
and that is it!

Restart your device and fire up your favourite third party player with next to zero UI issues.
Be sure to keep the mode in 'Android Mode'.
If you accidentally selected 'Pure Music Mode', it will look just like the Android interface, but your third party apps will not open.

Keep in mind I did this today for the first time, so its not a try and tested method, so I really hope this helps someone else and if it does (or if it does not), please be sure to comment below to let others know.

Worst case - if it does not work for you, reinstall the firmware as no rooting is required to perform this procedure and reinstalling the latest firmware can be done by following the steps on the Fiio Website.

With that - I am off to enjoy what is essentially a new player! 🎧
Going to try this right now as I almost exclusivley use the NeutronMP. TBH I'm happy with the speed but a little less power consumption would be good. BTW I did notice that repeatedly tapping on one option looks like it will lead to the disabling/uninstall of the Google Services, though I have seen that this may also disable the USB/DAC functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back