Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Oct 13, 2022 at 8:20 AM Post #12,017 of 12,086
I think the cable is 4 conductors all the way. Based on the balanced mod performed on this Reddit post. But I can't confirm as my x-ray powers are gone 😄

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/ljyj0p/thx00_balanced_mod_success/?
Hmmm ok then maybe it does have 4 conductors.
But owner's own risk. I don't yet want to snap off my cable. Maybe he can try. I guess not too much of a risk also, if it turns out three, wire is long enough to put the connector back.

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #12,018 of 12,086
Can the purple heart non removable cable be reterminated to 4.4 balanced? I want to use this with my new dap and other amps without using adapters if possible.
I don’t see why not. It should be similar to 900 that has 4 conductors ready, just break out your irons and work it away
Hello,

You can convert any headphone on the cable to the Pentacon plug.
You just need to know which cable is which to solder it to the plug.

For example, you need to know which cable colour is L+ and L-, R+ and R- and then solder them to the Pentacon connector.

That's all there is to it.
And that is the most important thing to remember.
Wait a moment - don't screw up your cable without knowing it properly.
I don't believe it may have 4 conductors. There's a splitter in the middle.
The stock cable I have for the EMU Teak might just be the exact same cable that comes with Fostex(es).

I don't think my cable has 4 conductors. It's terminated with a 3.5mm - I believe down the splitter, it might just have 3 conductors. I expect the same for your cable. So in essence, you may just need to make your own or get a 3rd party cable with actual 4 conductors to make a 4.4 Pent.
Yeah what Whitigir said is correct, each side of the driver has 2 connectors, hence R+, R-, L+, L- total 4 connectors.

I'm assuming for single ended (don't quote me on it) the ground is shared so you just have R+, L+, and ground (R-, L- shared). Again don't quote me on it I don't consider myself expert in this field LOL.

But it basically you have to open the headphone up and desolder and resolder new wire and new connection to allow R+, R-, L+, L- to go into the TRRS Pentaconn 4.4 mm connector.

I don't think you can convert exiting wire into a balanced connection since exiting wiring only has R, L and ground.

I'd advise not to do it unless you're comfortable with desoldering and soldering also has basic knowledge of how to take apart Fostex headphones (though you can watch YouTube videos for those).

Good luck!

Oct 13, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #12,019 of 12,086
Oct 14, 2022 at 5:29 AM Post #12,020 of 12,086
I have re-terminated my TH-X00 Mahogany with a 4 pin XLR connector.

I can confirm that the cable is balanced up to the splitter and L/R to the earcups.
It was a simple matter to check for continuity and solder as per usual.

The wire is of good quality and was easy to work with compared to some I've had the misfortune of working on (Beyerdynamic, I'm looking at you...).

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #12,021 of 12,086

I can confirm that the cable is balanced up to the splitter and L/R to the earcups.

The wire is of good quality and was easy to work with compared to some I've had the misfortune of working on (Beyerdynamic, I'm looking at you...).
Alrighty! Means I should give it a try too! Thanks!!!

Jan 10, 2023 at 11:25 PM Post #12,022 of 12,086
Sorry if this is not ok but I'm not really sure where else to ask. What is a pair of PHs going for now? Iven been trying to find a trend of average pricing but it seems to be all over the place. I saw one ad asking $700!!! which I thought was a bit high, a bunch for around 500 and some as low as 350. What's today price?

Jan 10, 2023 at 11:27 PM Post #12,023 of 12,086
Sorry if this is not ok but I'm not really sure where else to ask. What is a pair of PHs going for now? Iven been trying to find a trend of average pricing but it seems to be all over the place. I saw one ad asking $700!!! which I thought was a bit high, a bunch for around 500 and some as low as 350. What's today price?
Probably around $400 for TH and $450 for TR.

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #12,024 of 12,086
IMG_20230407_122356_01.jpg

Anyone familiar with this problem and are there any remedies to this? Thanks

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #12,025 of 12,086

Me too.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #12,026 of 12,086
IMG_20230407_122356_01.jpg

Anyone familiar with this problem and are there any remedies to this? Thanks
Looks like someone wet sanded it to try to remove scratches, didn't have experience, and applied pressure when wet sanding (a big no no). That or maybe lacquer seperation from a temperature shift?

A remedy could be either new cups, or refinish it and apply a new fostex logo using vinyl graphics as a masking stencil to do so with paint. Leaving it as is, maybe just put a layer of wax on it to keep exposed material from humidty and such.

Apr 9, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #12,027 of 12,086
Looks like someone wet sanded it to try to remove scratches, didn't have experience, and applied pressure when wet sanding (a big no no). That or maybe lacquer seperation from a temperature shift?

A remedy could be either new cups, or refinish it and apply a new fostex logo using vinyl graphics as a masking stencil to do so with paint. Leaving it as is, maybe just put a layer of wax on it to keep exposed material from humidty and such.
There is no exposed material though, every spots seems to be under a layer of lacquer. Im tempted to sand them down and refinish, but not sure which type of finish should I you to at least match the other cup a bit.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:08 AM Post #12,028 of 12,086
There is no exposed material though, every spots seems to be under a layer of lacquer. Im tempted to sand them down and refinish, but not sure which type of finish should I you to at least match the other cup a bit.
Depending on the services where you live...a good autobody shop maybe could help. Alternatively, a lacquer finish needing repair can often be handled by a good luthier.

It can be a bit tricky with matching existing materials. It may be easier to refinish both. Don't forget vinyl wrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back