Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review
Sep 4, 2021 at 7:25 PM Post #11,956 of 12,086
I'm interested in picking up a Purpleheart. Is there any reason to think Drop is going to do another run of these ever, or is used going to be the only way to get my hands on one?

Sep 4, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #11,957 of 12,086
Used is the overwhelming likelihood. It was only last week that Drop put a small number of Mahogany units on sale. That listing only went for a couple of hours and was mysterious enough to speculate about.

Sep 5, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #11,958 of 12,086
I'm interested in picking up a Purpleheart. Is there any reason to think Drop is going to do another run of these ever, or is used going to be the only way to get my hands on one?
XER01 had a reasonable speculation where we just passed the 2 year mark so they don't need to keep the extras for warranty purpose anymore.

Purpleheart came out later than Mahogany so there is a chance it might go on sale at the 2 year mark. Again this is all speculation but based on this you can roughly guess when it will be available.

Though buying used might be easier. :sweat_smile:

Oct 7, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #11,959 of 12,086
Alternative in case you've had your headband break.:
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4166369

1633621876268.png

1633621961654.png

Not my design. Pretty cool.

Oct 7, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #11,963 of 12,086
Recently started using my TH-X00 purple hearts again after a long hiatus. Was listening to Sundaras, then LCD-X 2021s, which were all great and new and do some things better than the purple hearts...but after coming back to them, I can appreciate the things these do really well: light enough to be comfortable (though sweaty), super enjoyable bass, and a super intimate, cohesive sound stage. The sound stage is very tight and intimate, like it's pulled in right around your head, but it's completely glued together like no other headphone I own. Hard left-right panning effects don't feel like they are moving from one speaker to another, they really sound like they are smoothly panning around your head. The drivers themselves disappear.

Oct 10, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #11,965 of 12,086
Accessory House lambskin have been revised by seller and no longer look like what's pictured in listing. Used to love these with my Foster headphones but cannot recommend this new-style.:

Hmmm I grabbed some for $27 off AliExpress. Those are the original Denon style earpads, which God knows how long I've been tracking down for.

Personally, why I preferred the Denon style ones over even the stock ones is because the inner openings are less conservative and a tad bit wider, and so my ears can rest freely inside - the stock earpads rest on the top edge of my ears and there's a continuous feeling of discomfort there.

H3da55debbb7a4499ada6f509575eceb2d.jpg

This might be the next best bet (the other link, ones I bought from, is now no longer valid).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040658281.html

Right now @ $15 w free shipping (to me at least) - I don't think any company can beat this, anywhere.

Oct 10, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #11,966 of 12,086
Hmmm I grabbed some for $27 off AliExpress. Those are the original Denon style earpads, which God knows how long I've been tracking down for.

Personally, why I preferred the Denon style ones over even the stock ones is because the inner openings are less conservative and a tad bit wider, and so my ears can rest freely inside - the stock earpads rest on the top edge of my ears and there's a continuous feeling of discomfort there.

H3da55debbb7a4499ada6f509575eceb2d.jpg

This might be the next best bet (the other link, ones I bought from, is now no longer valid).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040658281.html

Right now @ $15 w free shipping (to me at least) - I don't think any company can beat this, anywhere.
I ordered a set of these the other day to try. I will post how they are on my purple hearts when they arrive.

Oct 10, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #11,968 of 12,086
did you take these pads in sheepskin leather or protein skin?
I ordered the sheepskin. I really dislike pleather/protein/fake leather since I find those materials too sweaty.

Oct 20, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #11,969 of 12,086
Well, I received the pads yesterday. Yep, real leather and memory foam. Incredibly soft and so comfortable! Very good build quality, too, especially for the price. They are thicker and have a larger ear hole compared to the stock pads.
Measurements:
Thickness: ~31mm (Back), ~20mm (Front)
Earhole: 67x45mm
Diameter: 105mm
Width (around the earhole): 33mm (Back), 23mm (Front), 17mm (Top and Bottom)

Dimensionabley, they are similar to the knock off Dekoni hybrid pads I was using except with a much larger earhole (58x38mm on the Dekoni-like).

Pictures side-by-side with the stock pads:

1020211615c_HDR.jpg
1020211615a_HDR.jpg
Back
1020211615b_HDR.jpg

I also took some measurements to see how they compared (non-standard homemade measurement rig, don't compare to anything else and take with grain of salt).
X00-PH-Stock-vs-Sheepskin.jpg
In a word: BASS!
If you liked to listen to your stock X00s with an EQ bass boost, these are the pads for you! They don't harsh up the treble (*cough*ori pads*cough*) or wreck the midrange (I'm looking at you, Dekoni knock-offs...), but just add some really nice heft to the low end. This is honestly how I thought my Purplehearts would sound when I bought them. Keep in mind this measurement is without an attenuation ring on the sheepskin pads (more on that later).

I also compared them to my Dekoni-like knock-offs.
X00-PH-Sheepskin-vs-Dekoni-Hybrid.jpg
A little more bass (but, keep in mind, this is will full 3D printed attenuation rings on the hybrids and none on the sheepskin) but they really bring the scooped out midrange back (300hz-2khz), which has always annoyed me about those hybrid pads.

And here is with and without attenuation ring compared to stock
X00-PH-Sheepskin-AT-Ring-vs-Stock.jpg
That bass is just madness! More than a 10db boost over stock! :astonished: Too much for me, but if you really like to crank that EQ with other pads, the attenuation rings might be fun for you.

I've been using them without the attenuation rings and I have been enjoying them a lot. Even with the boosted bass, it's still clean for a dynamic (my HE6se V2 has been spoiling me for tight and punchy bass) and not boomy/bleeding. This is honestly what I wanted from them all along, boosted bass, smooth midrange, and a little top end sparkle for fun listening. For $17 shipped, these are a killer deal for the comfort alone, if nothing else.

Anyway, I hope this was helpful to anyone who was on the fence about these. Stay safe and happy listening! :o2smile:

EDIT: Here is a plain text link to the pads since Head-fi seems to mess up links sometimes. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33040658281.html

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back